What can we do for the backers?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, June 17, 2013.

1. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Well, Mr. Jon Mavor, this is already more news than I was expecting... :) One sentence is obviously enough...lol
  2. acetylene7

acetylene7 Member

This stuff is interesting. Most of us don't know the processes behind game development, I think it would be pretty cool to hear about things that might be trivial to you.

Such as "we've been getting numerous bug reports about issue X so we sat down and talked about it over lunch, we threw some ideas around and came up with a solution. Here's how we're going to plan integrating that in".
  3. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I find it encouraging that those things were discussed in the same meeting. Nukes and orbital satellites go together like bacon and sandwiches. I would love to see SDI like satellites being able to form part of a nuke defence system, and to have orbital weapons platforms firing nukes down like raindrops.
  4. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

it certainly would be funny and realistic on a moon or asteroid, if big explosions could hurl units in an orbit (although all orbits starting on the surface of a planet always end on the surface of the planet, if the unit does not get a 2nd deltaV in orbit or the unit has v > escape velocity)
  5. doud

doud Well-Known Member

This.
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So one of the things that came out of the nuke thing is that the design of the nukes is going to be different than in the past. The direction we are going now means that nukes won't be hidden inside the silo, you'll be able to see them being built and possibly assist the construction as they will be in plain view. Very similar to the orbital factories in fact....
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

This reminds me of some ideas back during the early stages of the project(Post-KS) and I didn't really like them then.....

Mike
  8. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

I like the idea of visible nukes under construction

the weapon should be imposing! I understand that in reality most missile silo's are underground with just a hatch visible, but cmon, that's boring! A huge saturn V style launch pad with a smoking missile being worked on by every available fabber you have would be so much more impressive

The soviet nukes from Red Alert 2 had a really badass design, and the feeling of anticipation as the silo hatch opened and the missile rose into place was boner-inducing
    [​IMG]
  9. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Interesting. Almost as if the development of space rocketry and Nuclear missiles was linked in some fashion. Such as the Nuke just being another unit available from the orbital launchpad...
  10. miliascolds

miliascolds Member

ooh, that also means the silo can have more HP cause the nuke itsself can be killed before launch, interesting.

also tac defense pretty please
  11. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

destroying a nuclear silo should create a big explosion, similar to commander killing

this would add strategy to where you build your nukes and what buildings you choose to put near them. A nuke surrounded by power plants would be a prime target for knocking out an opponents production abilities
  12. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

So much YES! It makes sense it would explode this way, and forces you to think of where to put them, possibly within reach of your enemies army. Scouting not just your opponents base would be key. Getting lax with scouting could be painful!
  13. cardboardboxpro

cardboardboxpro Member

14. Ralith

Ralith Member

Scouting is already key, and this doesn't actually make any sense at all. It takes extreme precision to get a nuke to actually detonate; the worst shelling one will do is get uranium everywhere.
  15. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

I'd be more worried about the rocket fuel going up, with the energy of a small nuke (Fully fueled N-1 was in the range of 3-7 kilotons when it went off)
  16. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Yea i wouldn't want a full-on nuclear explosion. Big explosion, yes. But nuclear seems overkill. However having actual, visual feedback on how far the nuke is should help with nuke defence etc. I hated trying to figure out how many nukes to send to my enemy. It usually ended up with half a dozen on a tiny area, either barely making it (or not at all) or vastly overkilling the enemy. Same with anti-nukes.
  17. neutrino

I've been spending a good amount of time this week on recruiting new members to the team. We have a few positions open, mostly for programming. jobs@uberent.com if you want to apply.

We are still looking for a community manager but have been overwhelmed with resumes. More so than any other position we've ever opened up.

Also I know people saw this but I still think it's cool:
    http://allenchou.net/2013/07/bending-so ... ihilation/
  18. neutrino

BTW If it's not clear I'm trying to give away more inside baseball in this thread as we. Just random comments and what's going on.

Planet Editor is having serious work being put it into. Expect to see a v1.0 soon on that.
  19. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I guess Community Manager is something that most people consider a simple thing and think they are experienced enough to do it properly so they massively apply
    I have experience with "Online Community Management" but since you want an on-site person, its one less resume you got to go through.
    I'm proud to say I worked for Innogames though!

Planet Editor makes me feel happy in my pants. BRING IT!
  20. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

:mrgreen: oh god....... i need to find a planet with 100 hour days, almost no night, a caffinated atmosphere and internet access :D