What can we do for the backers?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, June 17, 2013.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Oh come on, he just answered that!
  2. cardboardboxpro

cardboardboxpro Member

Neither of those things say giant rocket.

imagine things launched then giant mobile (but static aftertouchdown) land and start pumping out units after it is launched atop a rocket.

Sure the EGG concept will launch a builder to a planet. but imagine if you horde a bunch of factories in orbit and land them all at the same time to properly D Day invade a plant?

for example
    http://youtu.be/uUBhn3_P3hU?t=2m25s

you have to admit landing a huge factory that then starts producing out bots is a lot cooler than teleporting :)
  3. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

That doesn't matter dude, like cwarner7264 said neutrino already answered that so you already have your answer. No (in case you missed it somehow). This is the kind of thing that annoys the devs, and by extension me, when people don't listen. He answered this question in this very thread. Please ask only questions that don't already have an answer. Maybe next time try something like "Wouldn't it be cool if..." or "would you consider adding _____" if you want to be taken seriously and not annoy anybody else.
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Just to clarify you use the giant rocket to get the lander off the surface of larger planets that require it.

So if you have a lander on an asteroid or airless moon it can basically get into orbit. On a larger planet with an atmosphere you need a launcher to get them into orbit.

Once a lander is in orbit it can then traverse space to other bodies to let you expand.

So a "typical" scenario of starting on a planet might look like:
    - tech up to a tech 2 orbital launcher
    - build/launch a lander into orbit
    - have to go to the moon and start building infrastructure
    - build more landers and have them fly out to the asteroids
    - ???
    - profit

The idea is that gravity well matters. It should also be easier to shell or shoot missiles from a moon to a planet. For example the unit cannon isn't getting stuff out of the atmosphere but the reverse could work.

Is that more clear? Also keep in mind this stuff is still under development in terms of design. Comes and I have gone back and forth on a lot of this stuff.
  5. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

That's great news. Thats exactly the kind of interactions i was hoping for with regards to getting around the solar system. I'm looking forward to Gas giant moon hopping with low-tech rockets.

As for community interaction...

I think it's great how you guys are actively trying to maintain links with the community. I hope that reading any of the vast quantities of poorly thought out dross has been outweighed by the few interesting and thought provoking discussions that some people have been able to present.

I think at the moment, any of your thoughts about future features and game-play mechanics would be really welcome. At the moment, i think the biggest curiosity is how orbital combat will work, but there are other issues too such as unit variety, will there be some sort of dedicated artillery defence mechanism and so-forth. I personally love reading the technical details, but I suspect a lot of people are more interested in features rather than implementation. I understand that there are many aspects and features that you've not thought of how to work through yet, but I'm sure discussing how you develop these ideas, even if it's just a few notes, would be of a lot of interest to people in the community. Particularly if there are any points of discussion that you want to talk about. This may be more important in the future as development swings back towards features and away from performance.
  6. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

This.

And shame on everyone on your team not logging everything that they have been doing (related to the game of course).

At the very least you should have a detailed internal log that the top people in the team can look at and see what has happened and what needs to happen.......

As someone that works in a tech support call center for over 50 + ISPs at a time, I know the value of a good and well kept internal log.
    It is a godsend and makes my job allot easier, but it would be near impossible to do a decent job without the logs.
    Last edited: June 20, 2013
  7. vortexriker

vortexriker New Member

"What can we do for the backers?"

Simple answer.

Lasers. Lasers everywhere.
  8. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I would love to take the devs on in a game at some point. I might lose but hey thats part of the fun.
    Although I fear neutrino
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm a much better programmer than player.
  10. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I'm not that good doesn't mean I don't fear you in battle
  11. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I think there is a convincing case to be made that coding up the game may be more conducive to victory than merely being good at playing it. Particularly if a certain dev, hypothetically speaking, has access to a custom commander that spews, rapid fire, multiple warhead, nuclear missiles from a silo in it's top-hat.
  12. theggman

theggman Member

I'm not all that good either, but it would still be fun ;-)
  13. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

I'd like to see maybe a weekly thread made by you guys with any ramblings you'd like to share. neutrino and garat and all the folk are sure to come up with something worth mentioning at least once a week.

Hmm, seeing you guys host a weekly 'Challenge the Devs' for one or two matches while we're still in Alpha might be fun too.
  14. cwarner7264

Backers getting exclusive invites to play with / against the Devs??

Yes please.
  15. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Some devs are playing online all the time. I was once in a game with Garat...
    Just keep looking guys. :)
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Be careful if you end up in a game with Ben, he's quite the cutthroat! I recommend ganging up on him first! ;p

Mike
  17. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

18. cwarner7264

Nah, he got pwned when he tried take on theKiller ;)
  19. Terrasque

Terrasque Member

First thought : This M:tG card

Just the look of that lucky goblin at the back :lol:
  20. MaestroMaus

MaestroMaus New Member

Just some Q&A is fine for me.

I have two questions for Neutrino:
    How far are you at implementing the "Galactic Scale"? What I mean by that is; is it already possible to create & navigate the galaxy like stated in one of the later stretch goals? Or is that still in the pipe?

Second question:
    Do you think you will be able to hit the estimated release date (which is currently somewhere 2013)?