What can we do for the backers?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, June 17, 2013.

1. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

To be honest, if they feel uncomfortable with it, that is very understandable. I also think this is not the place to release personal info.
  2. miliascolds

miliascolds Member

a day to day thing is awesome idea though, and neutrino what you put down so far was great i mean it's nice to know what's going on, not so i can expect something but just to see the project we all put our faith in you to make is coming along on a daily basis, I've been super happy with alpha progress so far :)
  3. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I have a few questions that I'd like answered (since I don't know when the next live stream will be) if possible (and even "I don't know" is an acceptable answer ;).

1. Will there be combat in the Orbital Layer? (really any more info you have on that layer would be very interesting to me)

2. What types of methods will be available at launch for players to send armies to other planets? Specifically, will we be able to transport Air or Naval units to other worlds?

3. Any new info about the Megabot? Will there be a mega unit for each layer (Naval, Air, Orbital)? Or just Land?

Cheers!
  4. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

of course not super personal. But maybe some history about how they landed on uber. I really meant only Uber, PA and computer game related^^
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

1. yes

2. Unit cannon, lander, teleporter

3. Megabot is not currently planned for initial release. The feedback made us question whether to make it a priority.
  6. neutrino

I'm with you, it's just that most people aren't that verbose and don't feel that great about talking about stuff like that.
  7. Giibl3ts

Giibl3ts New Member

A little Q&A session every now and again might be good like what just happend with you and iron420 and if you are not sure or don't want to release that info yet that's absolutely fine.

I always wanted to ask if the bots will shoot actuall lasers like in the kickstarter or is what they are shooting now in the alpha what you are planing? Couse laser are awsome! Also if it is going to be lasers will it be color coded to the teams colors like in the kickstarter video?

But I never knew the best place to post questions like that other then live streams.
  8. neutrino

We'll definitely get in lasers eventually. Star wars style anyway.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But what about us Beam Fanatics? Do we get any satisfaction? :D

Mike
  10. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

yeah but it needs to be moderated at the last live streams people always asked questions that forum users know since forever^^
  11. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I just wanted to say that I have been really proud to be a part of this project up until this point and that I want to encourage you guys too keep going strong. I supported you because this game is a great project that I want to see the light of day. I fully understand exactly why you have done everything that you have done. I agree with your pricing and with your methods. Continuing to allow us to give input and to help you create a finished product is exactly what I am looking for in being a backer. I don't believe many other companies have given us as gamers the chance to be this hands on with the creative and game play aspects of the game. Thank you very much.
  12. veta

veta Active Member

I thought the calls for navy to be transportable to other planets were silly but now that I think about it, using a sea-based teleporter for naval units would work right? If air is transportable I guess it could fly through teleporters and come out the other end. Loading up an aircraft carrier and teleporting it could also work.

I've found Uber is actually pretty good about answering direct questions they see on the forums. You can't expect devs to comment on every thread but usually straight forward stuff like iron's questions get answered - even if it's with a "we don't know yet."
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

[​IMG]
    :D
  14. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

How about some pics of iteration changes of units etc, unless
    that's all ring-fenced for the Art Book?
  15. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Reading your musings/thoughts is very interesting, please keep it up.
  16. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

@ zaphodx

Whilst I applaud your efforts, that wasn't the answer to the answer
    to the question. "What can we do for the backers" isn't the same as
    "We don't need/want to do anything, because our fans are already
    doing it.

I personally have very little interest in using UTube. In fact, the only
    times recently when I have viewed UTube is when viewing the
    official streams.

I want to see what Uber have to "show", not screenshots etc, which
    I am quite capable of making myself.

Again, I'm not belittling your work, or your enthusism, by all means
    keep it up.
  17. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

You guys have to have some unstable builds with units in them that are way ahead of alpha. You could keep on doing live streams, doing demos of things like that.

Unit cannon would be one of them. You guys get a unit cannon to work on your system, do a live stream so we can see some gameplay with it. Even if it is just 15 minutes. I mean, Portal 2 did small pre-launch trailers showing 2 minutes of gameplay with newly added things, like the gels and the light bridges, making them sound like a product commercial from aperture science being announced by Cave Johnson. Anyone remember those? They released 8 of them, one a week, up to the game's release, and I exitedly waited on every one of them.

Anything like that I mean. Units not in alpha but you have them on your developer builds. Gameplay thoughts, maybe discuss on steams with backers different ideas for gameplay you have like different methods of interplanet travel and different unit types. Different types of icons you are playing around with to add to the game. Considering icon stacking and layering and toggling on/off. Anything planned to add. Show us space travel before it is on the alpha build once you get it stable on the development build.
  18. veta

veta Active Member

videos are tough to do and with <6 months left to go they're definitely pressed for time

don't get me wrong the community (not just backers) love streams and it'd be nice to see a final one of uber at the office when the game launches (something like blizzard's diablo 3 launch party but maybe less champagne)
  19. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Hey Neutrino! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions :D I really appreciate it (even though I was sad about your answer to #3). I'm now very excited to hear more about this Lander unit, and how orbital combat units might support such a unit. Are those tidbits of info only for backers? Or can I shout them from the mountain tops as I'd like to?

While the Megabot not being there at release is disappointing, at least you only showed it to backers to begin with. Plus, it seems in line with how TA developed with Core Contingency and the Krogoth. Speaking of the Krogoth, it has quite the weapon complement eh? Annihilator Lasers, Tactical missiles, regular missiles, Gatling guns. Pretty much every type of weapon available in TA. Defenses had a lot of variety in TA too, everything from Toasters to Guardians, Annihilators to Gatling Lasers and of course the staple Defenders. So I guess my last question is:

Are defenses in PA going to vary in style and ordnance to the same degree as TA did? Obviously I ask in anticipation of having that large variety festooned onto the megabot at some point lol. Cheers!
  20. cardboardboxpro

cardboardboxpro Member

will their be optional methods for transport besides the unit cannon?

personally launching big squarified Falcon 9 heavies with a huge unit reentry capsule would be more appealing than launching them from a cannon.