What can we do for the backers?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, June 17, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So what you're saying is that unless something is printed it should be free, regardless of all the work that goes into making the book in the first place right up to before it gets sent to the printers?

Mike
  2. gnarlytrader

gnarlytrader New Member

For one, they aren't making the concept art primarily to be sold as an incentive for a package. I would also imagine that setting up a pdf document is a lot easier than having to buy resources such as paper and ink and printing them. I would buy a book for maybe about ten, so I wouldn't pay anything for the pdf. That's just me and how I personally value things.
  3. KNight

Believe me, there is a lot more work that goes creating the PDF for a book than many people realize, far far more than just slapping pictures onto pages.

Ask any Webcomic Artist who has printed thier own book and preparing the PDF for it is often far more "work" than what is needed to get it printed(mostly due to outsourcing but you get the idea).

Besides, is the point of the Art Book to get access to the Art that you wouldn't otherwise get access to? In that sense isn't that like saying it's only okay to pay for the art when it's in a physical medium, despite the fact that the art still had to be created and organized regardless of the distribution method?

It's a little backwards to me, but hey I'm just an artist so I guess I'm biased.

Think of it this way, by your logic you shouldn't have to pay for games from Steam because it's not a physical manifestation, or that DLC should be free if it isn't sold on a disk.

Mike
    lokiCML and corteks like this.
  4. corteks

corteks Active Member

I quite enjoy my computer game art books (and I put in for a higher tier for PA cause I really wanted a nice art book to go with my game) but all the ones I've purchased have been $40 to $60 sorta deals. What I'm saying is I really doubt a proper art book would cost that little. As for PDFs, well they shouldn't cost the same as a physical item for obvious reasons, but as has been said plenty of work still needs to go into them. Expecting them for free is a bit much.
  5. comham

comham Active Member

I would pay money for a PDF art book, but a lot less than I would for a paper one.
  6. gnarlytrader

gnarlytrader New Member

I would think that making a PDF document is laughably shorter than making a full fledged game. However, for a lot of small indie games, I wouldn't pay for them, yet there they are, for sale for two dollars. That's almost like saying the janitor's duty to sweep the lobby is as important as the manager who oversees inventory risk and has to balance a staff and etc.

I'm just giving my two sense, which is what this thread is about. I don't care if the team doesn't end up doing what I suggested. I don't expect them to. They'll probably sell a book for around 25 and digital for 5 or 10, depending if you backed, maybe.
  7. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I haven't spoken in this thread yet, so here's my input.

I'd like to see either Brad (preferable since he is the community manager) or Garat tell us what the plans are for the next week. Nothing fancy just a 5-10 minute post of something like:

"This week we are continuing work on X, we are also implementing Y and fixing Z. X is going to do X and Z should behave more like Z instead of S now. You may see X and Z within this or next week and Y further down the line. For more info we will be having a livestream next month on [insert time of monthly livestream update here].

Have fun."
  8. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I second that. It would be quite nice to know what they're up to. Just as long as it's a short little thing and they don't have to spend too much time on it.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I am way late to the game.

But I'd love feedback from the devs on when they take our ideas and use them.

It'd be nice to have reassurance that all the time we're putting into the forums is actually making a difference in the game.

That sounded really needy. lol
    mrpete, LavaSnake and Arachnis like this.
  10. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

If the janitor doesn't do his job that is not as important as the managers, dust, sand and all kinds of moss, insects and bacteria will start to live in that lobby. After a while, that lobby turns into a very unhealthy place to walk through, every day, multiple times.

Never say that the work of the people who clean your **** is unimportant. Never. They should get more money for it and that is coming from somebody who's educating himself to become the manager.
  11. gnarlytrader

gnarlytrader New Member

You'd rather have a little cleaning robot do it for free. I never said it was unimportant, just that it's pretty much the lowest on the importance spectrum. Quit misconstruing what I'm saying.
  12. supremeoverlord

supremeoverlord Member

Give us a commander so awesome for backing or just give the retail game buyers only one commander!
  13. zweistein000

You mean the Theta commander?
    LavaSnake likes this.
  14. KNight

Prior to the Raptor and Spider commanders we got last patch, every commander we knew about was exclusive in some way.

Mike
    corteks likes this.
  15. supremeoverlord

supremeoverlord Member

What? Exclusive as in new yea. Are they exclusive to backers is what I was asking.
  16. KNight

Exclusive doesn't mean new, it means in essence limited access.

Progenitor (KS Backer 50$ and Up)
    Alpha (KS Backer 90$ and up)
    Theta (Pre-Orders and KS Backers)
    Delta*
    Custom Commanders(KS Backer 1000$ and up)

*There is debate as to who gets access to the Delta, it was originally included as a reward in the Cosmic Edition Pre-Order(and would retro-actively apply to KS Rewards of a comparable level) but some think it goes out to a wider group(or at least hope it does) but I don't feel this was in intent.

So yeah, the Alpha and Delta which came prior to the Raptor and Spider commanders are exclusive in different fashions and in the case of the Alpha, is not longer available to be obtained, the Delta is still available via the Cosmic Editions(Digital: 199$ - Physical: 250$) thought the original Cosmic Edition was time Limited but was eventually brought back to the store.

So yeah, they're Exclusive.

Mike
  17. zweistein000

Aww.. not my alpha :( Well I guess I'll have to see how theta plays out then. Also I'd like to see more tripodal commanders as well as at least one bipodal commander with humanoid legs for general use.
  18. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I would love to see you guys stream a video of the unit suggestions suggested by the community and your honest thoughts about them
    corteks and LavaSnake like this.
  19. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

According to Kickstarter Update #20: Meet the Delta Commander underneath the heading backer rewards it states the following.
    I really don't see why there be a debate over this or confusion. It quite clearly states Delta Commander is now a part of the $90 and up pledge tier.
    Last edited: November 18, 2013
  20. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I knew. Time is short. But a little update on what's going on right now would be nice.
    The community is struggling with worries over the last weeks. And I think some us feel lost.
    I realy appreciated the "what's up this week?"-update. At least we may can have a "what's up this month?"-update?