What can we do for the backers?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, June 17, 2013.

1. tugimus

tugimus Member

This forum should be used for you to pitch ideas and get our reactions, and also to ask us questions on which way we want to see things done. This has been a great team effort so far, and I would certainly like to see that trend continue even stronger!
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

You don't want my reactions on most of this stuff. That's why modding exists, so we can all have different taste ;)
  3. veta

veta Active Member

make the game you want and make the game highly moddable so everyone gets what they want
  4. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

One of the things I have really enjoyed as a early backer is the ability to listen to and ask questions about the games development and scope.

Basically we know we will have a planet editor, what about a solar system editor?

To that I have created a post asking about and thinking about creation of our sandbox environments here: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=49526

So as a backer I'd like to know / talk through with the devs / other backers how this part of the game setup will go.
  5. tugimus

tugimus Member

Sometimes you can come across as a bit harsh, but you have not been wrong about it in my knowledge.

That is the kind of stuff I'd like to see more of, brutally honest realism. It gets things done and avoids anything being discussed that is a straight up no. I know you probably have some PR to maintain, but you should never feel like your can't speak your mind as who you are.

Since we have been given the opportunity to give such direct suggestion on how the game turns out, we are essentially working for and with each other, so please don't hesitate to give us direction in whatever manner you see fit. If a suggestion is best left for the modders, it would be awesome to hear it straight from you.
  6. purecaldari

purecaldari Member

Wait until you see the planetary documentary that was the last strechgoal on the Kickstarter. :shock:
    This will be unfiltered neutrino rage :lol:
    Maybe you guys should have done this as reality TV production. A camera team filming the development from KS to final release ... :D ... no, just kidding.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

In a way I kinda hope that's true to a point, if this whole process thus far has confirmed anything that a game Developer should know, it's that the general populous(even those willing to back a Kickstarter) don't know jack all about how real Game Development happens. Maybe if more consumers knew more about the overall process and could make better decisions we could be a driving force to really change up the Industry for the better.

Mike
  8. mylon13

mylon13 New Member

Sounds like something I would say, never want to put out any statement, with my company banner right under me...

you could always go in a manner like [neutrino mode on] [neutrino mode off] we appreciate all you guys feedback, even yours. And even when we need to appoint some guy, to rewrite your pure from the heart comments full with dev / IT jargon and rude language, so the masses can actually understand what you are saying instead of just thinking that some post exploded. (me personally rather has the raw pure comments, than the PR crap)
  9. accuso

accuso New Member

an guaden :-D

just one request on my side that is still remaining... could you give us a package of stuff to work with in terms of machinima and videos :-D like the modelfiles with correct textures for blender/3ds/maya or anything... i am working on a videoproject myself and got into trouble because of the textures and animation are very hard to get into blender... rigging and animating it myself for every unit would be A LOT of work... and honestly would never reach the true movement of the units the way they are right now...

so... basicly :-D thats is... if you allready planned on it for a later stage of the game nevermind :-D and thank you in advance for your awesome work :-D
  10. neutrino

It's likely we will ship the FBX files for most stuff which will allow you to get things into max. If that doesn't work well we can always release the max files themselves.
    element27 likes this.
  11. neutrino

So we've officially hired another gameplay programmer who starts on Monday. Hopefully you will see him post here ;)
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Wow graphics coder and gameplay programmer starting the same day. Lovely, best if luck to them both. Tell them to party hard this weekend and say goodbye to their families because knowing you guys work rate they are busy until release.
  13. ethannino

ethannino Member

Hey, I'm working on a foliage model pack, cacti, agave, etc. could you upload some of the textures? Screengrabs of the textures would do just fine, I just need to match up the colors properly. Also of the terrain, I want to surround the plants with simple rocks to blend them into the terrain better.

I don't have alpha or beta access, otherwise I would just open the files myself.
  14. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

what can you do for backers? Tell them when beta is gonna start probably or exactly, if you have a fixed date^^

Is early September still correct? Or do you have to postpone a little bit? Are there features you want to have in, before you start the beta?
  15. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Please don't ask for specific dates, thats a horrible thing to do to a developer. Asking for an ETA for an ETA is perfectly fine, but asking them a full month ahead if they are going to make it in time? At lot of things can go wrong in such a long time frame, just give them all the time they need, nobody profits if they rush the feature freeze for Beta to early.

Several core mechanics are still incomplete or apparently even still in research phase, there are still some minor and even a few major design flaws in the data formats and Mac / Linux support is in a rather early stage too.
  16. neutrino

I was just nuking the crap outta people this morning. If you don't build enough anti-nukes I'm going to get through... ;)
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

In other situation I won't post any bug related information in this topic, but for this time it's related to it. Long time ago you posted (link) list of things you did in one day and there was one interesting:
    rooly found some strange behavior of code which handle cursor replacement on Linux:
    viewtopic.php?f=73&t=50208
    viewtopic.php?p=772830#p772830

So I just interested if this behavior (replace cursor outside window) it's need to be here by design, or it's just temporary/wrong code?
  18. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Oh good lord. There's one chap in the Realm who is infamous for his nuking on SupCom. I hope he doesn't catch word of this ;)
  19. neutrino

Steve Smith started today as our principal graphics programmer. He'll be tasked with finished graphics system work and optimization.

Nick Baldwin started today as a gameplay programmer. He's working on a variety of gameplay stuff mostly to do with unit implementation.

Hopefully they will post a bit at some point.
  20. ChillAAA

ChillAAA Member

Great news!!