What are some good games to help me prepare for PA?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by aznwarreur, April 21, 2013.

1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Economy and upgrades are 90% of what makes you win or lose a match. (The other 10% are called TLO and TBO...) The upgrade system in SupCom2 combined with the high cost of mexxes changes the way the game was played radically. FA was a game focused on map control, in SupCom2 you got your starting mexxes and kept your tank blob between your mexes and the enemy. This turned most competitive matches into a friggin' still life after 5 minutes. Nobody could move until he got a major unit advantage. I really hope PA will feel nothing like SupCom2.

The only things SupCom2 did right was the AI and the pathfinding. And I hope that they can be even improved for PA! :p
  2. syox

syox Member

Btw: how do we get TLO back/to playing PA?
  3. sorenr

sorenr Member

I feel like I should pipe up for Spring's XTA mod here - it's very much 'Total Annihilation plus strategic zoom and better unit management tools'. It's a good transitional point between playing the original game and the experience that PA seems to be aiming for.
  4. sauceboss

sauceboss Member

Sins of a Solar Empire. Sure it's 4x, but plays more like a TA style RTS than MoO or Civ. Just think of planets as mass points :cool:
  5. dbiton

dbiton Member

red alert 2 yuri revenge. 3 suck
  6. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I think the major similarity is they both are massive scale and they both have actual strategy.
  7. muzzledelk

muzzledelk Member

Make sure you disable shields in SupCom, they wont be in PA.
  8. RealTimeShepherd

RealTimeShepherd Member

How about playing FAF with shields, experimentals and T3 banned. Might turn out quite similar, apart from possibly the lack of nukes...
  9. meltedcandles

meltedcandles Member

TA play it. it will help you the MOST. not saying SC or SC 2 are bad, just not as good.
  10. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

Yeah try Balanced Annihilation too if you are going to use the Spring engine.
    Last edited: April 28, 2013
  11. stchurdak

stchurdak New Member

This, and if you need any help with TA head over to tauniverse.com ;)
  12. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I despise topics like this. To me, it signifies the community is expecting something that just won't be there. I say prepare mentally. The game is going to be a new sub-genre of RTS, the economy is pretty much all you can prepare for, no strategies (beyond the basics, rushing, turtling, etc. general "strategies") will be transferable from a square world to a spherical one.
  13. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Do some sports, enjoy the sun, eat a healthy diet.

You'll need all your strength to survive the 24h long 40FFA games you'll play at release on 1:1 scale maps of the solar system!

(Speaking about unrealistic expectations...)