What about the Naval part of the game, what would we want ?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sturm532, October 21, 2012.

1. sturm532

sturm532 Member

About Naval
    Well yeah about Naval its coming and there will be water planets so i think we can expect full water planets and planets with large bodies of water and islands and maybe continents.

But with what do we want to fight our naval wars do we need small fast scout ships T1 Destroyers ,T1 missile carriers and what do we need more, anyone wants to inject Seaplanes?

Help me out and help yourself i would say lets inject this thread with ships or buildings and i'll come up with some of my own ideas.

Im not trying to be rude i'm just not totaly awake

lets see where naval takes us.....
  2. Alcheon

Alcheon Member

Re: What about the Naval part of the game, what would we wan

Naval RTS is as old as land RTS, is there really anything new that hasnt already been done?
  3. felipec

felipec Active Member

Tsunamis!
  4. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Thats not new, from the top of my mind: they have those in the Anno 2070 deep ocean expansion and in dust (both can be considered strategy since both of them are strategy sub genres).
  5. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

What about building floating islands to construct your base on is that new or have that been done before?
  6. adecoy95

adecoy95 Member

i would enjoy seeing some kind of larger space based drop pod, say you have it designed so it basically functions as a massive drop pod, you can only splash it down in the sea, but it functions something like a cross between a transport vessel and a battleship, capable of bringing an amphibious invasion.
  7. zachb

zachb Member

Actually we probably would need some sort of transport that can land on water and go between planets. If you are going to have all naval planets then you'll need a way to get from one planet to another.

We'll also need some jagged rocks or glaciers jutting out of the ocean to block movement, or shallow water that subs can't submerge in. Just so there is some terrain in the naval maps. So it's not just one big featureless blue map.

Also I am some terrain would help the air and orbital layers too. Storm clouds, space junk, something. In SupCom I always felt like the aircraft were always just fighting in the tactical equivalent of an empty parking lot.
  8. adecoy95

adecoy95 Member

while offtopic, in total annihlation, aircraft moving over high terrain usually got slowed down during the trip up. something that did not really exist in supcom
  9. themak

themak New Member

Amphibious transports and bridges (be able to make our own), please.

Water platforms that we can build structures on, as mentioned earlier by calmesepai with an option to make them movable.

Another idea, since we are able to move moons and asteroids, how about these affect the water level like how our own moon affects the tide. I can see it now, enemy base far from the coast laughing at your navy (ha, you can't touch me). You move a moon into orbit, water level rises, shore now gets alot closer to enemy base, you have last laugh.

If it cannot be made into the game (gameplay, etc.) then please allow the ability to be added via mods.
  10. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

I would like to see a T1 land unit that can fire torpedoes into the sea. It would be a useful last measure to try to regain naval control.

As for actual boats, I think every role was fulfilled in Forged Alliance, so that would be a good starting point. I think aircraft carriers need to be rethought though - TA's two mobile repair/refuel docks were nice, but it was really only made as a floating power station due to its rather random +600 energy output.

SC/FA had great carriers in theory, but not in practise. Non-UEF carriers are just never built as they are too expensive and although the idea of hiding 150 planes in one boat is a great idea, the implementation was poor and too clunky. The UEF carrier (Atlantis) is only built because it's primarily a kick-*** submarine, the carrier functions are rarely used.
  11. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

if these games or at least the expansion are not considered as new, then i have only really old games.. lol.

Anyway, Naval.. hmm maybe a complete different UI ? more like a u-boot radar instead of normal minimap.. dont know.

I hope we will get some under water action too, maybe with some monsters.
  12. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

13. thorneel

thorneel Member

Submarines having more weapons than just torpedoes.
    I don't know, needle guns, sonic guns, even some shiny lazor/beam gun, missiles thrown above the surface (not only cruise, but AA, short-range anti-ship, even anti-sub with proximity grenades)...
    So submarines wouldn't feel like 'torpedo sub #1", 'torpedo sub #2', 'torpedo sub #3', "cruise/nuke missile sub'...

And if that's technically possible, ice sheets under which submarines can go. (And if that's possible, the possibility for submarine layers for mods.)

Hovers that are actually above the water, and as thus can't be targeted by torpedoes and such.
    One big problem with them in Supcom, though, was that many players wouldn't understand why one amphibious tank can be hit by subs and not another. So there should be some way to not confuse them with amphibious vehicles. (Best idea, IMHO, is giving them their own factory, but that's another debate...)

And obviously, varied amphibious units : floating, sea-crawling, even submarine amphibious.
    If there are many factories, sea-crawling amphibious factories should be built at the sea bottom themselves.
    There was an interesting idea somewhere, which was that some factories could have both sea-specific units, land-specific units and amphibious units, which one being constructible depending on if the factory is built on land or in the sea. I do insist that the factory should have a different aspect in each case, for the player to have a feedback if he is building/planning a sea or land version (on the shore, it can be hard to tell).

For amphibious units, it could be interesting for them to have different roles on land or on the sea, as ships can be quite different than land units. At least, no unit should become useless when crossing the shore.
    The most obvious example is the torpedo launcher who becomes a short-range heavy-hitter : as torpedoes can't be guided or self-propelled, they just become big short-range grenades relying on the initial launcher impulse.

Underwater nukes. Because awesome.
    One possibility would be to have two modes for nukes : altitude blast which has a bigger AoE but less damage and contact blast with smaller AoE but more damage ; contact blast exploding underwater on the sea, causing ... well, I didn't study submarine nuclear tests, but I'd say larger submarine AoE but less effect on the surface?
    Feel free to give better ideas for that, though.
  14. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Hoping to see underwater structures implemented in a way similar to TA, so that you could literally have an entire, fully functional base underwater.
    lafncow likes this.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Id like to see carriers come with their own fighter drones like in starcraft, that are cheap, quick to build but are weaker to normal aircraft.

And tac missile launchers firing anti-sub missiles might also be a good thing.
    beer4blood likes this.
  16. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

The reason I said a T1 land unit that can fire torpedoes is that if you made such a unit too powerful it would make it suicidal to have any sort of navy near a coastline, therefore making naval superiority irrelevant. Any ground-based anti-sub unit must not be powerful enough to be able to clear out cruisers, destroyers etc.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Tac missiles can be shot down, and besides any anti-surface weapon can already shoot at cruisers and destroyers.

The ability to shoot subs wont be much of a difference to that part, especially if the sub has anti-torpedoes.
  18. comham

comham Active Member

I'd like naval combat to feel significantly different to land combat, momentum/acceleration and turning circles about 20 times larger, ramming, that kind of thing.
  19. alfalfacat

alfalfacat New Member

I would want to see torpedoes not do 1 damage ala SupCom/TA:Esc

It just never felt right that I'm throwing enough torpedoes to build a battleship into a battleship and not kill it. ;)
  20. blackwell181st

blackwell181st New Member

The option of building both naval mine fields and submarine nets or, at the very least, having armed naval ships which are capable of deploying both of these types of structures in limited amounts.