Welcome to the new forums

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by LennardF1989, August 14, 2013.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Things I've noticed so far:
    Youtube embedding is currently broken. (Firefox)

Auto-login isn't present.

Can we please get spoilers for concealing/hiding images, video embedding, text etc.

Change what is visible in 'New posts'/'Recent posts' feed - eg removing/adding forums from the list.
    Last edited: August 14, 2013
    VectorShift likes this.
  2. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

Gifs as avatars are annoying, glad to see them removed.
  3. kazzymodus

kazzymodus Active Member

New forums t0 vandalise explore!
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I'm glad we have strike BB code now. It allows for much more trolling creativity.
  5. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

OMG IT'S TERRIBLE.
    The shortcut on my Firefox new tab page is now an error :mad:

jks it's pretteh kewl and fancier lookin'
  6. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

overall, please give us some themes. I hate the way the new forums look. Like the like feature though. PLUSSES COME TO ME.
    donut7577 and DeadStretch like this.
  7. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

Youtube embedding worked when I tested it earlier:

Auto login and spoilers would be nice though.
  8. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Good work Lenny.
    But my eyes, the white background, it burns us :cool:
  9. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

10. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

Thank you for all the feedback. Question answer time!

In regards to the current theme, this is the standard XenForo theme slightly remastered to fit Ubers new style. An actualy full custom theme will be deployed in due time, it's a lot of work, so get used to this in the mean-time and give suggestions as to what could use improvements, because "these forums are ugly" is not really constructive in that regard!

"Please move Unrelated to the bottom". We kindsa like having the basic forums on top, any particular reason it bothers you A LOT? :p

Displayname in-game is outside of my abilities, I can poke some people to implement the same system as I did here on the forum.

"Is it always HTTPS?", yes, but content is served through the standard HTTP port (80) and through a Load Balancer, everything you see is encrypted for added security!

As for the CSS change, I'll experiment with it!

The automatic login feature is in the pipeline, the reason it's not in yet is because it has to work together with UberNet to determine whether or not you are still allowed to be logged in on the forums and that kind of logic on my side I have not written yet.

@fine You'd probably have to recalibrate your screen as I can assure you there is absolutely zero white in the current theme, it's all gray tints.

Colored names in the topic-overview and last post is also in the pipeline, it was not an easy change and therefore it was decided to add it after we went live.

Bold for unread is exactly how it was on the old forum.

@tatsujb Not to break your pride, but not really :p I was approached for coordinating the forum switch way before your posts :p

@sabetwolf Why cant you now? Nothing has changed in that regard o.o

Likes are an indication as to how useful your contributions are to the forum. Trophy points are like achievements, with a certain amount you can get additional features on your profile, a badge under your name, etcetera. None of those are currently in use except for four standard achievements.

It is possible some threads of yesterday have disappeared, however, they shouldn't, as the backup was made after the old forums went down and unaccessible for everyone.

As for seeing topics you posted in for old threads, I probably forget to rebuild some cache, I'll look into it.

"Mark forums Read" can be found right below the header, it affects the sub-forum you are under the moment you click it :)

Some Uber people not having their names red yet is because they simply haven't logged in yet!

The import probably compressed your GIF to JPG, just try to re-upload your animated GIF and see what happens, in my older tests that worked just fine.
  11. goodbean

goodbean Well-Known Member

neat
    I will check more of it out later since I am at work now.
  12. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

@LennardF1989: nope, GIF renders correctly in the Avatar Editor, but is static on the main Profile page and on here.

Uploaded again for the sake of testing.

You . . . I will remember you.
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I very much like the fixed width now - it makes a huge change.
  14. LennardF1989

@gorbles If you click your avatar to bring up your membercard, you can see it animated. The image used on the forum is a compressed JPG, I'll look into what's up with that.
  15. Gorbles

I always hate fixed-width forums myself, especially on a widescreen setup (which is basically every setup I have).

That said, there are often CSS issues (mainly around image alignment and content spilling over width) on other forums with variable-width columns. Resolveable issues, but issues nonetheless.

Purely out of interest/for conversation, why do you prefer fixed-width? I'm trying to get opinions mainly because I'm pushing for it to be changed on another forum I'm involved with the rebranding for currently :)

EDIT: hot damn, but the quoted post tracket (the up arrow) and the Twitter-style post update graphic is nice.

EDITEDIT: fallen back on my Steam Profile Avatar for now, but I do love the bouncing faces.
  16. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I'm up to speed on all the changes now.

Still raging hard at the Mark Read. Having to wait for a popup, then clicking a second page element is too slow for my liking (and yes, I do believe I know how Mark Read operates - it's my most clicked button).
  17. LennardF1989

I can probably make it instant, but I'd rather not go into smaller details before the most annoying bugs are out and much required features are in.
  18. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Yeah, prioritise first. Missing content is more important than a few clicks. Especially since that might be my content too. ;P
  19. LennardF1989

@gorbles I like fixed-width in this because it's a bit easier on the eyes in regard to lots of uses of gray shades.
  20. Gorbles

Fair enough, I can see how it works here with the options and notifications on the top and bottom of the far right of each post.

Whee, username capitalised. I miss being called Gorb, but apparently some shmuck already has that name.

EDIT: at what point do we stop being called New Member? This is more curiosity than anything.