Welcome to the new forums

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by LennardF1989, August 14, 2013.

1. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Seeing how it doesn't log me in automatically whenever my IP has changed, yes. I never had to log in manually in the old forums unless I had cleared my cookies.
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Yes. There are security concerns with our session tickets not paying any attention to IP address. This will not be changing. If your IP address changes that often, you will have to relogin. Sorry.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

This is the only forums that I've ever seen that logs me out on an ip adress change. For most people the IP changes on a daily basis, so currently I assume that the autologin is basically broken for most of us.
    Maybe you could check if the IP is located in the same area/country instead of an exact check?
  4. poiuasd

Yep. Makes me wonder what's the big difference between these boards and any other forum out there.
  5. garat

The difference is: we don't use Xenforo or forum based authentication. We use UberNet. UberNet does more thorough security checks, because it's also tied to your game account. That's the main reason.

Lennard might possibly be able to get it to work, but if it's security vs. a couple seconds of inconvenience, I'll still go with security.
    BulletMagnet and cmdandy like this.
  6. poiuasd

Nevermind.
    Last edited: September 16, 2013
  7. cola_colin

That I agree on indeed. I guess I'll make a little detour over a server with a static IP to access the site, so it's solved for me :)
  8. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Anything on this one? Yes? No? Maybe? Sorry, not trying to nag or nothin.. it's just this one has been a real pain in my backside. Seems like it's a simple forum setting from what I've Googled.
  9. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

I added the IP check myself and I can easily get rid of it as well. It is not to make UberNet more secure, but to protect your forum account from auto-logging in on systems that aren't yours. As said in other posts the forum stores absolutely no useful information about anyone who logs in whatsoever except for the information you add in your profile (and e-mail, which is just mandatory by the forums internals).
  10. cola_colin

If it all it has the opposite effect as systems at school or work have a static IP while my home (and most other private connections) has a dynamic one.
    A more appropriate solution would be a "stay logged in" checkbox. Does xenforo offer that option?
  11. Lockisbetta

Lockisbetta Member

This might sound silly but isn't that the point of the "Keep my log-in on this computer" button presented on pretty much every log-in page since ever? Auto-logins are managed by cookies so I don't see how using a 'foreign' system would auto log you in since that computer doesn't have the cookie.
    poiuasd likes this.
  12. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

It's childishly simple to steal ones cookies, hence I embedded the IP check.

[​IMG]
  13. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

I apparently know nothing. I thought if I unplugged my router it would give me a new IP, yet I'm still logged in, so I apparently didn't get a new one.
  14. cola_colin

It is not impossible for your ISP to give you the same IP again.
  15. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

fair enough
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

17. Tankh

Tankh Member

So far I really like the new forum look and feel. Nice to see which posts you have replied on, and alerts on people responding to them.
    Good choice!
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Please, please disable anti-spam captchas for users who have access to Beta or Backers forum!
    People who have access here aren't spam bots.
    zaphodx and DeadStretch like this.
  19. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Noticed a sort of problem. Since new users can not post links if they quote a post with a link in it they'll still get the error.
  20. garat

Not really a problem, more an avoided exploit. :) If someone can get around the linking issue simply by putting it in quotes, it doesn't stop much for the spam machines.