Welcome to Planetary Annihilation!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by scathis, August 15, 2012.

1. tuklap

tuklap New Member

Any time table about the release? does alpha version have its campaign mode or local skirmish against AI??
  2. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Release is currently "when it's done". You can play skirmish vs AI, but it requires a connection to the servers, just like multiplayer.

When the games is released, it will feature complete offline play, along with a non-traditional, procedurally generated campaign mode called galactic war.

Please have a look around the forums as there are some great discussions going on, and have a look at the replays section for some good games to watch, so you can get the feel of the game.
  3. tuklap

tuklap New Member

Hi! Thanks for the reply.. that said, means that the game resides in their server much like an mmorpg game and on our local pc's is their account connection launcher?

I though gamma build has its offline version already :/

follow up question is, if I bought the game now, Am I going to buy the game again when its finished?
  4. popededi

Yeah for now it's the way it works, the main reasons being that it helps A LOT in developing a game that runs stable in online multiplayer, and the other main reason is this way they're able to keep everyone on the most current build, so people can constantly provide accurate feedback.

And if you buy, your copy is yours, don't need to purchase again. Consider it the better version of a pre-order. Instead of ordering and waiting for release, you get to play as it develops.

It's pretty fun to play with, but for now you can't do things like save/load and pause, so it's best if you can dedicate an hour at a time to it without interruptions.
    drz1 likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Woooaahhh... talk about a necro thread...
    stuart98, websterx01, FSN1977 and 2 others like this.
  6. tuklap

tuklap New Member

Well that makes sense.. if you play on their server they can really trace what is going on..

So if the game is released or already finished that means I can play offline when playing single player?? then connect to the local or global server when playing multiplayer much like its counter parts??

Am I going to receive a digital or DVD copy of the game once it is done already??
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yes once the game is released you'll be able to play locally with your internet turned off.
    Most (All) ways to get PA as of now only include a digital download of the game. However on release there will be retail boxes that you can buy. I expect PA to be a game with a lot of future updates though, so the dvd in that box quickly will be outdated.
  8. tuklap

tuklap New Member

Ahh I see now..

Is there any box designs already? I'm pretty excited on owning the game ^_^

About digital distribution, how big is this gamma version if you start from scratch? and does the download support resume function if suddenly internet connection gone off or a power outage happened??
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The download is a free hundred mb in size, dunno the exact number, it is small enough for me not to bother at all.
    The normal installer does resume downloads, yes.
    I think there was some box designs, but dunno. They might have changed.
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Here's the proposed box art:

[​IMG]
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Haha, seeing this now... 200+ units? More like 2000+ :

(It's so much fun looking this far back.)
  12. Geers

Geers Post Master General

[​IMG]
    tatsujb, squishypon3 and emraldis like this.
  13. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

it is a little over 700 MB I believe (peanuts really). It does take a fair amount of bandwidth to play this game at the moment so if this download seems a little big to you, it may be best to wait for online play. Most internet connections should be able to handle this in under 10 mins.

size on disk will be a bit larger after decompression of course, less than 2 GB though. Too lazy to look up exact numbers. If you participate in the Public Test Environment (experimental builds we can mess around with), it will take up twice the space. See here for more info on that https://forums.uberent.com/threads/streams-pte-and-experimental-builds.58960/
  14. popededi

I respect tuklap immensely for not starting a new thread for his questions. Saved Brian the hassle of typing out his "please do a search before posting" mantra.
    DalekDan and emraldis like this.
  15. tuklap

tuklap New Member

Thanks for the reply guys! see you in the game ^_^
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

If you need some buddies to play with, NOVA is open for recruitment!

Selfless attempt at gaining members is selfless.