Welcome to Planetary Annihilation!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by scathis, August 15, 2012.

1. exampleprime

exampleprime New Member

Just came in here to say I hope you have a Unit named after you in this game Scathis
    That is all
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Since someone asked, and I really don't want to start a brand new thread, I'll give a quick synopsis of what a producer is/does.

First off, it varies wildly from company to company. I've been doing it since 2005, and it's never been exactly the same from one company to the next. The biggest commonalities between the companies are:
    - Project and schedule management when needed: For as mall, very agile and veteran company like Uber, this is not a very necessary responsibility here, though it can come in useful for things like getting Kickstarter rewards to 47,000 people. :)
    - Business development and documentation: This is where I help a bit more. Collecting data, helping to build analytics models, and wherever else our esteemed leaders can use an extra person to pull together things like pitches, financials, metrics, etc.
    - Product ownership: Again, not an issue at Uber, but during my time at PopCap, all my projects I was not only the project/schedule manager, but also the creative owner.
    - Team management: rarely as a "direct report" relationship, but more often as a dotted line or as part of the leadership tema, helping to manage cross discipline relationships and communication, especially on larger teams. My biggest team that I worked directly with was almost 120 people, and that was JUST for the single player components, the multi-player team had it's own 30 person team. :)

At the end of the day, my job is about making sure everyone else can work completely unhindered. If there are blockers or bottlenecks, my job is mostly about helping to remove those blockers or unjam the bottlenecks, however I can. Since becoming a producer, in addition to just my normal day to day work, I've stepped in and done: LUA scripting (extensive), sound design (placeholder), video design (placeholder), caterer, psychologist, and anything else you can imagine to help whichever team I was supporting at the time focus on making the game.

It's an often ill-defined role, and can cover a wide variety of responsibilities depending on the company. But it's fun, challenging, and every day is a little different from the next.
  3. thorrr

thorrr New Member

Hello Guys !

I just pledge my account too ! Really glad to be here, participated to other beta projects like this, and always enjoying the same way !!!

Just a quick question, when a beta will be available ? Do we have a date already ?

Can't stand to try this out !!!!! :D
  4. l4ff3n

l4ff3n New Member

I know! They should make a music viideo with dancing PA units for Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited! :D
  5. dude86

dude86 Member

Hey guys,

Glad to be here. Also really looking forward top the alpha. I have been reading quite some on this form already.not always easy to keep up with the threads, having A Full time job and all. When we see the alpha we may really start discussing balance and such.

I have played starcraft one and two. Supcom and FA, also some wartime.

Devs, best of luck with the development. I have confidence you will make it awesome.

Pledged 90 during kickstart.
  6. athena159

athena159 New Member

7. Cerilium

Cerilium Active Member

Game needs to be released already!

Gah!
  8. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Lol, Its waaaay to early, even for a Alpha release. It will be out sometime next year. XD
  9. Cerilium

Cerilium Active Member

I know that...

one can wish for christmas right?
  10. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

I could just be crazy, but I think the devs said that they would have a playable early-alpha by new years. I think it's intended to be in-house only though.
  11. krynny

krynny New Member

I freaking love you guys for making this game! TA was possibly my all time favorite PC game. I love that there are other people passionate about that game that have the skill set to create something like Planetary Annihilation.

About Me: Huge TA fan. The graphics and gameplay were better than the 2D RTS games of the time, Starcraft included IMO. My favorite part about TA was definitely the community. The amount of creative people dedicated to making their own units and eventually races added so much replay value to the game. The lack of this was Supreme Commander's and SC2's main underachievement. Open the game up to the fans and let them add to it! Whether this happens here or not, I'm excited for this game and grateful to the people making it. Please keep making development videos/interviews. The way IGN and Ubisoft made the "Making Assassins Creed 3" videos, I would love to see something like that with this game.

My only reservation about Planetary Annihilation is that I don't have the disposable income to get in at the $1,000 level to create my own commander. Seriously, I love you guys for this game. If I ever find myself out in Kirkland, drinks are on me! Keep up the great work!
  12. Kahdir

Kahdir New Member

Happy to pre-order the Galactic Edition! :cool:

Kinda bummed I didn't find out about this sooner and missed the custom commander pledge, but relieved the waiting period won't be as long :p
  13. celludriel

celludriel New Member

Hey all,

I just regged on the forums and pre-orderd the 90$ packages (which indeed turns out to be only 69€ at current exchange rate).

I'm a big fan of the original TA. Back then it was one of the first realtime 3D RTS games. But the one and only feature that made TA great was the mod community !!! Back then I made my own maps and my own units that actually all worked. It was the first game ever that let you create your own stuff in such detail.

I really hope once this game is released there will be another evolution in the mod community and we will see great units being designed by all kinds of creative minds.

I wish you all the luck in creating the game !

Now I blatlently promoted this game on another forum so my concience demands me to promote the other game as well. For all you RTS people, check out www.endofnations.com from Trion games as well.
  14. mcsquiggle

mcsquiggle New Member

Just pre ordered this beauty of a game (One happy owner of a Cosmic Limited Edition :D) so i thought i would pop on here and say hi to everybody.

HIII GUYS AND GIRLS!

Now to rummage around the many threads and see what is being discussed.
  15. bubba41102

bubba41102 Member

Hello i never played TA untill now and found it to hard to play (mostly because of its outdated graphics) but i do like 0 K and Sup com and i also find the idea of blowing everything up is interesting to me so i will be pre ordering this soon!
  16. infowars

infowars Member

Hi, I want to introduce myself

My name is Nr2117, I used to be a regular on the estrella unit site (it hosted world domination and final frontier) and when I played TA I was amazed by it.

Total annihilation is my favourite game of all time. (And there's some close contenders, like sim tower, tyrian, one must fall, doom, unreal tournament). I've played this game more than any other. I even used to place wind turbines up on hills thinking they'd yeild more energy (I was wrong, but for 1997 what an incredible simulation).

What I loved about it so much is that it was a simulation. Before TA I had played command and conquer, it always annoyed me how tank shells/rockets would not kill infantry in one shot, yet a grenade would, arbitary rules. One of my most memoriable moments was playin shore to shore, an intimidator cannon shot a peeper out of the sky.

Ten years later and I hear about supcom. I get into the beta and I was impressed. Alas, I don't think modding it was as easier, or I missed out on the modding community.

Supreme commander had so much potential. Hell, supcom 2 was alright in a way but I felt it was dumbed down and that annoyed the hell out of me. I've liked how TA wasn't a moron game, it didn't have stupid arbitrary rules unlike more popular RTS's.

And now I see planetary annihilation. Man, this looks incredible. And I see that the producers have made previous titles like Radix (which in some ways, I preferred to Descent, because it wasn't such a damn maze, and the constant motion required skill) And Generals (really fun when I got over the C&C part shoved into the title) TA and Supcom, and you got, what's his name, John Lowrie? To do the narration.

Hell yes I have got suggestions to cool ways you can scale up the destruction, bet everyone has. Very impressed to see planetary annihilation will feature custom planetary generation, like doughnuts, or a planet in the shape of a teapot
    [​IMG]

I really wanted a very long winded way of saying I give this game my full support, and when I got some spare cash I am pre-ordering this game. Worth every single buck.
    theiban likes this.
  17. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Welp. I'm sold.
  18. apoc101

apoc101 New Member

Holy mother of god... just discovered today... I'M IN :D
  19. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

So, I just came back to this forum... The last thing I remember is the unveiling of sketches of the first two or so 'special' commanders. For those who funded a special amount through Kickstarter.

What did I miss? I see awesomeness about the economy and a map editor with brushes... What else? :p
  20. rhkcommander959

rhkcommander959 New Member

My first post. Knew about the game for a while, pre-ordered a few months ago. Haven't had time to stop by :oops: . Can't wait to play!