We have this thing called the Dox now.....

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by mered4, August 13, 2014.

1. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Well yes, but cheaper cost means more units, more expensive costs mean your unit's lives matter more. If unit lives matter more then people will want to micro their units as each dead unit is metal wasted.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Um, squishy.
    Cheaper units means more, more expensive means LESS UNITS. That means you get that same killing force, but it takes longer and requires more Eco expansion before you start the spam. Right now, the spam starts when the game begins. It didn't used to be that way....
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I don't see how more units = more micro though. o.o

When you have a teeny force of expensive units, you NEED to micro them to make them worth your while. Whilst if you have a big force of cheap units you just point and say "Attack there" and watch as stuff blows up.

Personally.. I agree, it's too much too early in the game at the moment, I'm only arguing for the principle that less cost or more numbers =/= more micro.
  4. mered4

The reason I'm saying its more micro is because at this early stage of the game, there is nothing except a few facs with a com guarding them. Maybe some undef Mex. There is no chance to set up your territory or strategize based on their position - its all attack attack attack. And since the com is an unassailable object at 3-4 minutes in, you tend to micro your forces around him, exploiting game mechanics like destroyed buildings and mountains to kill SOMETHING.
  5. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

build walls and defensive structures then =P
    Its not like the planets have any major terrain editions (besides water and lava), theres no plateaus, bridges, or cliffs. just occasionally some terrain blocking features like mountains and rocks =P for some choke points. Its simply a flat 2 dimensional playing field
  6. mered4

And....you have to play people who are really, really good at this to understand why I'm saying this......

Or just watch some of their matches ;)
  7. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

They should just give dox and slammers the ability to traverse under water, but not be able to shoot while underwater. This would give submarines a further reason to exist (as I noticed that naval boats can now shoot bots underwater, which just doesn't make sense) but would still give Bots the added mobility/advantage that tanks don't have, further differentiating them, but not clashing with naval balance.

You could also give submarines sonar which allows only submarines to detect bots underwater. Otherwise the bots go undetected while submerged. This would give the bots an added advantage for surprise attacks if there are no submarines, or if you have no submarines alternatively you would need to add walls to your base to stop surprise bot attacks. This would also deter people from spawning near water unless they plan on going early naval. At the moment spawning near water gives you the added advantage of using water later if it suits. The change I am proposing gives you a risk/reward decision to make when choosing a spawn location.