we can not see the entire planet with a single radar as before.

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by franc84, January 26, 2014.

1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I had no problem with the ADvanced Orbital Radar's radar coverage. Only its vision radius.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Your right, Lag isn't adjustable in the same way the Commander's HP is.

But to say that it's completely static and unchanging is just as false. The Devs have commented on many, many occasions that there is a lot of optimizing still to do, and if we were to compare the Game's Current "Lag State" compared to any point during the Alpha, or even early Beta we can clearly see lots of improvement in this regard.

Mike
    godde likes this.
  3. uberpenu

uberpenu Member

I honestly believe that the advanced radar satalite should provide vision to whats on the ground, not just a dot showing you something is there. it could have a vision radius to make it not op, but whats the point of it? like i can build a radar with a bigger radius, cheaper, on the ground, and faster. I meen im not trying to act like i know stuff but i feel that if i send a radar to a planet with a orbital laser to snipe a com i should be able to if they are not prepared for it. not have to guess what little dot is him. IMO i just feel that the advanced radar satalite is just as usless as the solar rays now :/
  4. carnilion

carnilion Member

thats the actual problem : adv radar sat is useless as it is now. someone said its vision radius is adjustable by energy you have. maybe this could be thought further. lets say the satelite gets some bar to set its range, and dependent of the range it consumes energy...a LOT of energy. lets say for example 100 energy per vision radius point. so to get the actual 100 vision radius it needs 10k energy. to get the old 2350 or whatever it was you need 235k energy. if we dont get the "t3" energy generators back (meaning the old solar panels) this is not easy to get and could balance the satelite out against other intel options.
  5. masterofn0ne

masterofn0ne New Member

let me make an argument for a much larger (perhaps even planetary) vision for adv orb radar

the current setup with area commands highly incentivizes fighter spam for scouting in the mid/late game.

the problem with that is the the units are a huge performance drag on both the server and client side. if the dev team is considering a unit cap in order to get the performance under control, i think most in the community would agree that its better to bring back the old adv orb radar (maybe I'm wrong).

the old radar did cause a client side performance hit when it initially launches, but this could be solved by implementing a "ramp up" period where the vision spreads out slowly.
  6. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

i think the old adv space radar gave much advantage to the controlling player, now its better for all
  7. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I feel like orbital should be the "tech 3" and all of this stuff should just be plain better and more expensive. Launcher should also be made an advanced structure.
    uberpenu likes this.
  8. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

I want an area command to tell my engineers to place radar evenly spaced over the entire planet (or just over the area i select)

Same goes for turrets, being able to click and drag a perimeter would be awesome. Double if the engineers would be automatically set to repair and rebuild that perimeter if damaged.

That would be cooler than a single satellite that can see everything.
    carnilion likes this.
  9. WaylanderPK

WaylanderPK Member

I think the advanced orbital radar needs some kind of area command to evenly space them out. Having to micro manage satellites is a pain and kind of runs counter to the games ethos imho. I don't mind satellites having limited vision if its trivial to place them. But frankly the whole orbital layer UI is in need of some love (yes I know its Beta ;) ).
    l3tuce likes this.