Wargaming acquired TA IP.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by ucsgolan, July 21, 2013.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Lol. I will be entirely honest. From a business perspective. I was entirely expecting them, to buy the IP, wait to have substantial amount of references in PA and/or Spring, and issue a cease and desist lawsuit to crash the party.

Call me evil. It is what I and Seto Kaiba would have done.
  2. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

wargaming doesn't need a publisher
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  3. duncane

duncane Active Member

I haven't played world of tanks. What do you pay for in it? Play time, tanks, upgrades? How does it work?
  4. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I wish ct would resume production of kings and castles..to date there is no strat zoom fantasy rts with huge worlds..it was def looking great. Getting bored of futuristic rts...
    bradaz85 likes this.
  5. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Special munition, faster leveling of fresh bought tanks, exclusive premium tanks which bring almost twice the regular ingame currency as income, some special community features like being able to form larger teams for an additional monthly fee.

Or to project it onto TA2:
    - Modifiable rooster of limited size (size increasable with real money)
    - Exclusive units
    - Pay-for-a-paintshop
    - Need to trains up fresh units when unlocking them first - and the option to speed that up with real money
    - Possibly team / clan matches limited to paying players

Or in other terms: About every monetization you can think about. The TA IP with the giant unit pool actually cries to be used in such a F2P scenario. Even though it is safe to assume that they will use the chance to improve the gameplay in various ways, for one I'm sure that they are NOT going to stick with the SupCom approach of fixed radius vision/radar but that they are going to use a system more inspired by the original TA and their other IPs.
  6. duncane

duncane Active Member

If done right that could work for an rts. I don't think anyone would be concerned about custom paint jobs or private multiplayer games. Even exclusive units/Heros or factions would be okay as long as they take balance into account or only let players play against similar players. Plus paying for extra content such as missions or maps seems reasonable as well.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

If there are heavy diminishing returns it would work. So if you want to play competitive you can guy the required stuff for 40-50$ or so and a player who pays 500$ instead has no real advantage apart from shiny custom paints.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Which is why spring is so desperate to move away from ta based games, eg evo rts and zero k (which is ta inspired by but using new ip)....

Edit: also pa is pretty safe- its inspired by ta but doesn't copy it. If they could go after pa based on ta ip, then basically the developers of the original dune could go after every subsequent rts ever made :p similarly id software could go after all 3d shooters after wolfenstien 3d :p
  9. cola_colin

They just have to find the right judge :/
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

stop trying to turn this game into free to play. it's the worst idea ever. btw world of tanks is just another one of those games where you basically have to play with paying ammo once you've reached level 10 tanks, otherwise you're just loosing all the matches. listen to The Mighty Jingles on youtube, and heck if HE doesn't know what he's talking about, he's basically the go-to expert.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  11. cola_colin

Well hopefully the game won't be free to play, as they need to make money :p
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

fixed :p
    Nicb1, bradaz85 and thetrophysystem like this.
  13. theseeker2

jingles is garbage, the established NA streamers like Anfield are superior players
    but let's not get it too off topic
  14. jvickers

jvickers Member

The first one I see as an opinion that I disagree with, but does not seem particularly argumentative. The multiple battlefields I think is a great part of PA but it's got its difficulties (which make for a fun game).

The second one, he was probably right about. We don't know how much Uber spent on this game, but it's the Kickstarter funding of just over $2m plus an undisclosed amount from sales, which is not trivial. They are still spending on developing the game having gone past the $2m figure. Bear in mind I don't know how much Uber spent on Human Resources and dividends, but it does not seem as though Uber delivered the game on the $2m budget.

I think it's time to accept someone had some comments you disagreed with, maybe you still disagree with them, and let go of bad feelings you have towards him.
  15. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

can you elaborate?
    Last edited: December 20, 2014
  16. cola_colin

chris taylor was doubtful about the possibility to succeed with PA on a funding of 2 million dollars.
    A very valid doubt from a veteran of the industry. 2 million dollars is not a lot of money, according to a statement from scathis in some interview they had used up the 2 million from kickstarter at the start of alpha.
    Some people apparently considered that statement from chris taylor an attack towards Uber. I don't think it was meant that way at all. And he was right in the end, by now PA has cost a lot more than 2 million dollars, that much is certain. Though they managed to succeed with getting more money, so PA exists.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Yeah, that was no way some kind of attack.

Some people........
  18. theseeker2

can't tell if sarcasm or not

but in any case, it looks like wargaming is indeed sitting on the IP and not doing anything with it, if they were, information of the project would have probably leaked by now.
  19. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I wasn't being sarcastic.

There wasn't slander, as well, quite rightly that was a minuscule budget to develop PA.
  20. theseeker2

I know, I just wish we knew what CT is working on now, since wargaming has said nothing of TA or masters of orion, and there hasn't been any leaks. Which means in all likelihood he's doing nothing.

EDIT: Maybe he isn't doing nothing

What I'd love to see is a TA2 with an empire management side - like the total war series, basically everything galactic war should have been.
    GoodOak and cdrkf like this.