"Wall cheese"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by spazzdla, November 12, 2013.

1. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I personally don't feel walls are a problem. I use them a lot but I've really not had a case where I said, "And I would have won, too, if not for those darn walls!" I feel like someone spamming them would be spending a great deal of metal on something that's not going to help much when the T2 bombers come for his commander.

I even kind of like that they get targeted. In TA you had to micro down walls by forcing units to shoot them. In PA your units will blow open the walls on their own.

And they aren't THAT tough. They're mainly useful in throwing off early T1 ground rushes.
  2. leuhpoulpe

leuhpoulpe New Member

I don't see walls as a major problem either. The only thing that bother me is that units tends to target it where they better should fire at towers or enemy units. But it has already been said.
    In my opinion, since the patch that lower their health, they are fine on the stat side.

I actually like the current state of it. I have never seen a wall spammer win since the last patch.
    When a player start to really spam them, it mean that he have lost so many ground that he is doomed. If not, the attacker just have to attack elsewhere. If by some magic the defender manage to put enough wall to forbid an attack on ANY side of his main base... well, it mean that he have put so many mass in it that he have no army to defend the rest of his territory.
    The dps of 6-8 T2 assault bot (the real firepower here) and 30-40 T1 bots makes wall barely noticeable anyway, so walls only delay the ending, they don't change it.

For me the real problem in the defense/attack balance is the pelter itself. It elevate the cost of any attack way too much for his own cost. Reducing his RoF can be a good solution. Reducing his accuracy can be another. I'm leaving that to the dev.
    And like it was said in previous posts, there is strong chances that this debate will loose his purpose when the new units will come out.
  3. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

If there are no walls we cannot have secret lightning turrets disguised as walls. ;)
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  4. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Damn it.... I was hoping that was intended behaviour. ..

Damn it that is actually lame. I was hoping for a more exciting and interesting early game... ah well.

You're right. It does ultimately come down to T2 eco now. Because my whole "early rush" strategy relies on a lack of towers... :(
  5. paulauk

paulauk New Member

I have only been playing the beta for a couple of days but have to admit the first thing I miss was being able to build walls.

I still play Supreme Commander Forged Alliance regularly and tend to use to to guide enemy units into pinch points. That way you can pick them off easily but also it can delay "unit rushes" giving you time to build units for defence.

Come on what harm would it do to include them ?? - if you dont want to build them then dont build them is what I say.
  6. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Read this page carefully.

They are already in.

Unfortunately PA does not yet have SupComs feature of queueing multiple buildings with a single click, so you may have missed them.

And the complaint is that turrets behind walls can shoot units with impunity, a wall increases the health of a turret hugely.
  7. paulauk

paulauk New Member

Sorry found another thread when I did a search and have seen them as being implemented and thanks for the link as now I know which units can build them.

As I said if people don't want them they just don't build them. In Sup Com FA they are good for defending T1 guns and anti air but not much help after that.

Still happy to plod around in the Beta to get the feel of the game and so far i like it.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  8. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

They act differently in PA and they are too strong. If the enemy makes use of walls then they gain a massive advantage.

If both sides use it, then defense is much stronger then offense. It leads to boring games. This thread isn't about saying walls should be removed, its stating that walls are OP and something needs to change.