Vertical Construction / Stacking Factories

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, July 16, 2013.

?

STACKING FACTORIES

1. YES

64 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. NO

46 vote(s)
    41.8%
  1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Why?
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you prefer personal?
  3. igncom1

The people who have made their minds up aren't going to un-make them.

So why bother with the objectionable analysis for people who won't listen to either side of the argument?
    gingerbreadman85 likes this.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Cons;
    • You're trying to add in an upgrade mechanic that Uber has already spoken out against for reasons of increased workload for poor returns in gameplay depth (See SupCom 2)
    • You're encouraging and enabling people to consolidate on space, rather than expand. In a game about conquest across multiple planets this is not a good thing to encourage.
    • You're giving players an "all or nothing" dichotomy. Either your factories are all working or they're all blown up, thus leading to a very ungraceful losing scenario, with little to no recourse for the losing player. This is a frustrating "cascade failure" scenario.
    • The damn thing looks ugly as all hell
    • It creates excessive amounts of work for coders, animators and artists who are already stretched thin as it is, to pretty up the aforementioned "ugly as all hell" stacked factories.
    Pros;
    • In a very few, fringe cases of players spawning on a small island, they can still build tanks at a good rate... which in the majority of cases, they can't use to any effect because they're on a small island.
    I'm really not sure if that last point is really worthy of being called a "Pro".

This "factory stacking" concept is revealed after even a cursory glance, as flawed.

---

Unless you, the reader, can address the cons and come up with a significant number of "Pros" that the rest of us can't see, then this is an unchampionable cause.

Looking cool (which is highly debatable in this case) is not significant enough of a reason to include it.
    Last edited: August 15, 2013
    philoscience likes this.
  5. igncom1

But not all of SupCom2 upgrades worked that way.

Unlocked ability's like teleportation, jumpjets and mega-armour were and are game changing ability's that allow units to be used in ways that they could not before, changing how even the players respond to the terrain and how they position themselves.
  6. nanolathe

True enough, but SupCom 2 sacrificed unit diversity for those upgrades. It sacrificed vast amounts of potential depth in unit variety for the, arguably lesser depth of a rather linear upgrade path.

This was not worth it in my opinion, and it is an opinion that is shared by many people, including the Devs.

I'd much prefer to have a three separate units, one that teleports, one that jump jets and another with mega-armour, rather than have one unit that slowly unlocks such abilities in a set order decided upon by the developer.

The research paths gave the illusion of choice, but after just a little examination you can see that they're just a method of keeping the same, very limited set of units relevant throughout the game.
    Last edited: August 15, 2013
  7. igncom1

He he, NO DOUBT!

Hell Cybran units where the worst offenders, with a unit that has a mobile shield generator, AA, anti-tac and jump-jets.

But I am getting off topic. :D
  8. nanolathe

Like that ever stopped either you or I, before.
    :p
  9. igncom1

10. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention the fact that we already have a method of increasing the construction capacity of a single factory by means of spending additional resources on it, sacrificing economic efficiency whilst doing so, in a way which centralises production to the point where it becomes more vulnerable to attacks.

It's called fabber assisting.

This mechanic really doesn't add anything in a way which wouldn't break that which is already there.
    philoscience likes this.
  11. osirus9

osirus9 Member

Eh go ahead and derail this thread guys.

I doubt there was ever any real chance of this making it into the game anyway, due mostly to lack of increased gameplay vs cost and time to implement. And although it pains me to admit it, I agree with Nanolathe.

Maybe somebody will make it into a mod...

This is similar, but due to factory roll off time, it isn't as effective anymore (which I like btw).
    philoscience likes this.
  12. igncom1

I prefer more factorys to assisting as well.
  13. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I know, it's kinda the point. The whole point of the roll-off mechanic is to avoid Supcom's "one factory to rule them all" idiosyncrasy. It's one of the reasons that I don't want to move back towards concentrating all the build power in a single location, as it encourages over-turtling, and makes comebacks and turnarounds rarer to see.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  14. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Funny when players post an objective, and then this go to a total diferent way?