Vertical Construction / Stacking Factories

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, July 16, 2013.

?

STACKING FACTORIES

1. YES

64 vote(s)
    58.2%
  2. NO

46 vote(s)
    41.8%
  1. bodzio97

bodzio97 Member

Re: AIs can stack air Facs WHAAAAAAAAAA ?

Stacked factories with elevators. Awesome!!!!! Another Idea is that there additionaly could be landing pads on top so units could be loaded to air transport. Or perhaps the stacked factories could be connected to interplanetary unit launcher to increase it's yielding.

When it comes the number of factories that can be stacked I'm for the same number on every planet for simplisity. Since there will be many different planet sizes in final game.
  2. dusanak

dusanak Member

Wow, this seems really cool. At first I was sceptical but it looks freaking AWESOME!!! I was thinking about it a bit and I think that the factories should change their look a bit when stacked. Like adding pillars to the factories and the elevator at their side and so on. Unfortunately I really don't think that this will be added but hey, who knows? :)
  3. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Yes! I like this for alot of reasons. It gives u a reason to add structure to your base and gives bases varying heights like a sort of robot city! There are obvious pros and cons so I love the strategy depth too! And Water factories can have the structure inverted to make sense so the extra factories are added to the bottom. I like the elevator idea for Land too! I also think the limit should be set by planet size (no hard limit).
  4. bodzio97

bodzio97 Member

I suggest someone should make a similar article at the backers forum since then it's more likely we gone have it in the final game.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Yessssss

agreed, I'm also setteling for fixed. 5 max.

You really never know, we made such a racket over at the scale megathread that Jon Mavor reacted saying he was in favor.

Only if the bottom ones may only produce subs. which ads another nerf to stacking in this particular case.

But overall the base organisation advantages you get from stacking would more than make up. I love the idea that the asisting engineers (sorry can't "fabber") wouldn't have to be spread out in diffrent groups to assist as much, this would contribute to making this a more macro focused game. every bit helps.
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

It's a bug, folks. :) Not to say that we couldn't take something from this and do cool stuff with it, but.. don't hold your breath. If we do, it will be a while.
    philoscience likes this.
  7. japporo

japporo Active Member

That picture needs a caption: "Uber Entertainment: even our bugs are AWESOME!"

Hey, if the stack reaches the moon, will the moon knock the top factory off as it orbits past? :)
  8. tatsujb

like this?

I knew it. That didn't stop me from making this thread though. I'm absolutely positive I want this in the final produt. Look even PA itself wants it so bad it chewed up half the work for you ! :lol: I kid, I kid. I know this represents extra work but puuurdy pleaaase?
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I think this AI needs to be called Babel.
  10. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

please dont. something like this will only take away from an rts. we dont want this game to become like dow2, where you guys slowly remove all base building from the game. This is detrimental because it removes the need for building positioning.
    philoscience likes this.
  11. tatsujb

Re: Stacking Factories

:?: no it doesn't gunshin because

1 there would be a limit of 5 max

2 it's a choice not an obligation.

plus you still have to build much more than 5 factories I don't exactly get what frightened you here.

think of it as faf's engie mod, but for PA it's the same "you choose, either one is valid" philosophy.
  12. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I really hope Uber puts some love into base building. This would be a great way to do it...
  13. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Get some perspective, really. Uber would have to do a lot of artwork to make this come close to looking professional, as well as increase the complexity and polycount of factories, specifically adding vertex groups designed to be hidden and unhidden, which will increase video memory usage. While that won't matter much once batch rendering is coded in, it still effects low-level machines. Not everyone has the god-rig Tatsu owns. It's a silly request for a silly feature that is either transparent to gameplay or actually detracts from good gameplay.

Also, it looks bleeding stupid. Funny, but stupid.
    philoscience likes this.
  14. tatsujb

:cry:
  15. bodzio97

bodzio97 Member

It's amazing and only increases the diversity in the game. Since you can have your factories stacked or unstacked.
  16. bodzio97

bodzio97 Member

Leave it to Uber Entertaiment. It's all question of how much art work it will take and to what extend it will effect low machines. Uber knows or will know the answer and if they wan't like the feature they will just skip it. What I' trying to say is that there is no point speaking of balance if you aren't working on the game since every game is different.
  17. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Basically another transparent ploy to add upgrades to the game, eh? ;)

Give it up people, you will have to spread out your bases and you'll like it!

(And it also looks pretty silly.)
    philoscience likes this.
  18. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

ok lets look at a theoretical player who likes to spam. He always builds 20 factories. Now, for him to build 20 factories, he requires A LOT of space to build said factories. Now lets think about the 2 locations on a map that people tend to build in.

1. A mountain range for the added coverage of having land formations that block access to your base. Limited building space.

2. An open terrain where there is no limit to building space, but also has no coverage by mountains.

Your seriously telling me that stacking buildings will add to the game if a spam strategy that before required disadvantages like having to be built in plains/open space so your base had no entrance blockers eg. mountains, can be done in say 5 buildings placed in mountains where you have 4 factories stacked on each other?

There is no situation in where this brings ANYTHING of benefit to the standard game. I personally dont care if you go away and put it in the game yourself via a mod, but uber, do not ruin the standard game by allowing something as stupid as this. There are things that seem cool, but detract from gameplay.
    philoscience likes this.
  19. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

I actually wasnt sure. It LOOKED awesome at first glance, but i like the idea of whole planets covered with buildings more. And the strategic aspect is gonna be pretty fucked up too - this style of building benefits turtleing, and UBER said they dont want this.
  20. osirus9

osirus9 Member

Uber is not anti turtling, they just don't want it to be as OP as in supcom with overlapping shield death fortresses that stagnated the game. Sure at first a player stacking factories COULD gain a turtling benefit by building a more compact base, but at the same time this makes his base an easier target for nukes and asteroid bombardments. Not to mention he'll have less metal than you if he hides in a corner.

On the other hand what if there's no choice but to stack? some planets simply are too mountainous for huge sprawling bases, or have lots of small archipelagos that make large bases very difficult to make and defend. I think the only thing stacking factories (and maybe energy) would add is more diverse options and playstyles.

Plus yea, it looks a little goofy now, but that's because the factories aren't designed to stack (duh) If they changed the look of them just a little by adding some pillars on the corners it would look like the most badass parking structure in history lol.