Using steam or not?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Daddie, May 19, 2013.

?

Are you going to use Steam?

1. Yes

122 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

90 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. Causeless

Causeless Member

viewtopic.php?p=724238#p724238

"...you'll only need Steam if you want to connect to UberNet servers"

If we don't change to steam, apparently we won't be able to play on Uber-hosted servers; only private ones.

That's really DRM free, huh. Screw over everyone who doesn't switch to Steam DRM, that's fair, right?
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Of for f**k sake. You are an ... *Grrrrr*

IF you change to the Steam key version you'll need to login to steam first, then through them to UberNet.

UberNet only users don't need Steam for squat...

Damn... Knee-jerk reaction much? You're taking the quote ENTIRELY out of context.
  3. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Darn it Nano, I've been ninja'd :p

anyway, as much as I appreciate steam, I'd much rather use Uber's services and have the freedom to change to steam if I so deem it necessary. No steam for me this time round. Unless, of course, PA is introduced to the new badge system :)
  4. nanolathe

Garat literally just posted that and it's been taken out of context within the next bloody post. Apparently causeless thinks Uber is out to get us.

... 'scuse my language back there... but... damn, do you really have so little faith in what's already been said over and over again by the Devs causeless?
    Including ignoring the first post as well?
  5. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Nanolathe, is your icon an actual photo of you at your computer? I've been wondering.
  6. nanolathe

Hell yes it is. I'm an Anthropomorphic Avian Xenos from Pech, deep within the Ultima Segmentum of the Galaxy; highly Carnivorous and able to extract DNA from the corpses I eat.

Never mess with a Kroot.
  7. Causeless

Causeless Member

Sorry, I misunderstood.
  8. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Fixed that for you. ;)
  9. Sylenall

Sylenall Member

Sticking with Uber for the foreseeable future. Wish they'd just let us unlock the game on Steam too at some point.

DRM-free is my priority, but Steam offers some nice features too.
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Playing devil's advocate, surely they'll need to test their Steam updating procedures too?

I'll be sticking with UberNet, using the 'import a non-Steam game' option so I've still got the overlay, hopefully.
  11. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Looked at that way, UberNet is also "DRM". You'll be able to run the .exe without a login to Ubernet, and you should be able to run the .exe without a login to Steam too.

Having said that, UberNet and Steam will allow the social aspects to function, so I'd say they were a no-brainer for anyone not running a massive "offline" LAN party. Assuming there is cross-platform connectivity (a big assumption, but if Uber are running the servers for both I'm certainly hoping it is the case) then you should be good to go regardless of which delivery platform you choose to use ;)

I'm not going to worry about it until the beta, since that's the only time it'll definitely affect me connecting to people I want to play with. Until then I'll be chuffed just to play at all :mrgreen:
  12. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Should. But thats not how it is going to work.

As soon as ANY of the Steam features (serverbrowser, especially when you want to join a game with friends, or achievements) is used you can no longer start the .exe independent from Steam and it can only be used with Steam accounts which have unlocked the game.

But thats not all, even WHEN the game uses none of the Steam features, Valve will still ask you to link your .exe against the Steam API which enables the DRM feature. There are only very few exceptions which are incompatible for technical reasons and therefor DRM free, but these are exceptions.

So the Steam version is completely useless for LANs unless Uber decides to make the LAN mode for free on Steam (Light / Demo-version) and only charge for the creation of the Ubernet account for ranked multiplayer on official servers and galactic war. That however is rather unlikely to happen.
  13. paprototype

paprototype Member

I prefer not having to log into a service like steam to play a game.
    Uber would have to completely fail before I would even consider playing through steam.
  14. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I'm going to wait till it's out and other people have tried out both options before I make a decision. I do like having games on steam (easy to back up) but we'll see.
  15. teradyn

teradyn Member

I voted no. Since it is a one-way street, I want to have a compelling reason to switch.

Most of you need to realize that putting this on Steam allows Uber to hit a much larger market. The ability to switch your key to a Steam key is a convenience they have added, and not a requirement. The Steam early access isn't even targeting us.

I say, if you are an early-backer with an Uber store key, wait to convert to Steam till after the beta. If you have issues with Uber's patch and download support, that is also something they want to have reported and tested.
  16. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

The Steam version is perfectly fine for playing on a LAN, the only thing the Steam version isn't good for is easily pirating copies of PA for friends. So by saying "the Steam version is completely useless for LANs" what you really mean is that no one who goes to a LAN would have already purchased PA and everyone who does go should pirate a copy instead of purchasing it, and I don't agree with that at all.

But I will agree that it would be good if there was some kind of LAN only version, 3-day guest passes or something like that would allow people at a LAN to try out the game with people who already own it, and IIRC Steam already supports guest passes for some games so really that probably makes the Steam version the better one for LANs if Uber are able to take advantage of them. Steam also make it fairly easy to create an installer for other people to use from your installed games which is better than having to wait for some one to download the installer from Uber.
  17. plink

plink Active Member

I kinda think the ubernet/uberstore is a waste of time/money on Ubers part. When the steam system is already so good, don't re-invent the wheel. Use what works, and spend your resources on creating the best game possible.
  18. Causeless

Causeless Member

They need to fulfill their DRM-Free promise.
  19. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

As much as I love Steam there are potential customers that don't, Uber are doing the right thing offering them a DRM free alternative, there is also the fact that Valve takes a cut of the sales from Steam but anything Uber can sell directly goes straight into their pockets which is another benefit to having their own store. Having both is a great idea IMO, it give us customers the choice between the version we prefer, and given it could improve the total amount of money that Uber will receive from sales I don't see a reason not to have both.
  20. furlock

furlock Member

Steam for me. Honestly, if a game isn't offered on Steam, I really lose interest in it, unless it's a rare indie game or somesuch. Steam has just become synonymous with computer gaming for me, and I honestly can't see myself playing games and being social with friends without it. Having all my games together in one place, along with a list of buddies I can chat with while in-game is just such a great service. I'm sure there are pros and cons to having a game on Steam, but as far as I've been around, I've never really seen an issue with it. I think it's great that they're offering the game both as a standalone and through Steam, so that people have options, but I'll definitely be going with Steam.