Use the In-Game Community Mods - Original PA Mod Manager (PAMM) is Obsolete

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Raevn, August 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Just turn off voice in settings. :D
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Just use Microsoft Security Essentials. No stupid pop-ups, no annoying UI decisions, and the best false positive rate on the market. Doesn't test as well as some, but it tests well enough. Or if you're on Windows 8 then you don't need anything because MSE was merged into Windows Defender.
    Raevn likes this.
  3. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Guys, I'm not going to change my antivirus. I'm not going to change my antivirus because I shouldn't have to to make this mod work.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Just for information: I just got this mail back from Kaspersky regarding their blacklisting of pa.raevn.com:
  5. Quitch

It's a problem with your anti-virus. You don't want to change it, then fine, but complain to BitDefender as it's a BitDefender false positive.
    cptconundrum and Fr33Lancer like this.
  6. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Cool, will be able to remove it from the exclusion list :)
    Thanks ;)
  7. stormingkiwi

I have complained to Bitdefender, but BitDefender aren't creating the problem. The program is causing the problem, and Raevn is responsible for maintaining his programme, not me. I am not the only user of BD, nor will I always use PAMM, so it's actually more efficient for Raevn to maintain his own programme and solve the ongoing problems caused because of the relationship his programme has with Bitdefender. This isn't the first time antivirus software has picked up on PAMM as a false positive, nor will it be the last.
  8. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Inb4 raevn actually puts a bitcoin miner into PAMM ;)
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  9. Quitch

Bzzzzzzzzzt. Wrong.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. stormingkiwi

The mod is incompatible with commercially available software. The mod creator is responsible for conflicts. You really are too cute Quitch.
  11. Quitch

Bzzzzzzzzt. Wrong. The software is engaging in legitimate behaviour which your anti-malware software is incorrectly reporting as nefarious. Your software is at fault, PAMM is doing nothing wrong here. That's why it's called a false positive and is measured in tests, because sometimes heuristics get it wrong and that matters.

The idea that this is somehow PAMM's fault is laughable at best.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Current scan now lists all clear (though bitdefender has still yet to actually respond to me):
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/f...79a0026cf24d2efd740d6271/analysis/1396437362/

To clarify, it was never PAMM that was detected as an issue (that I know of); rather, it was the domain http://pa.raevn.com, which hosts some of the online files that PAMM uses that bitdefender thought was bad and was blocking (and again, I have no idea why).

Specifically, the domain hosts the following:
    • Installers for PAMM (which are not detected as malicious when scanned offline by bitdefender)
    • A json file that lists current version and installer info, for detecting PAMM updates
    • A php page to generate the current mod download counts
    • A php page to increment a mod's download count
    • A 4 byte file that is simply used to detect the online status of PAMM
    • Some pictures and prior versions of some of the above files.
    Quitch is correct in that responsibility for this only belongs to the software author up to a point (that point being to ensure that your domain is in fact clean). Once that point is reached, it's out of our control and in the hands of the company behind the malware scanner software, who share an equal responsibility of preventing conflict by minimising and correcting false positives. If they insist that it contains malware, even when it doesn't, there's literally nothing I or any other software author in this position can do except do as you did and complain to bitdefender (which I did). When they make an incorrect classification, they are the only ones that can ultimately correct it.
    Quitch, DeathByDenim and cwarner7264 like this.
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

On a separate note, PAMM just passed 60,000 mod downloads :D
  14. Quitch

I think VirusTotal only uses signature files, it doesn't use the heuristics.
  15. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

From the about section of VirusTotal:
    So it seems to run the engines themselves on the files. Wouldn't that include heuristics as well? It doesn't specifically say.

EDIT: Actually, I uploaded PAMM.hta to VirusTotal and it came through clean with the exception of McAfee-GW-Edition, which said "Heuristic.BehavesLike.JS.Exploit.J". So it does seem heuristics is being used, albeit for direct file submissions, rather than URLs. I don't know if this link will remain valid, but here is the result page.
    Last edited: April 2, 2014
  16. Quitch

Seems you're right.
  17. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Requests:
    Display current PA version number in the top bar

Option to disable all mods (With confirm Y/N dialog) (For when a new patch comes out)
    mishtakashi likes this.
  18. Quitch

There is an option to disable all mods already. It's hidden under Show Additional Options.
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Can do. In case you didn't know, it's also shown on the "About" screen ( ? )

This is actually something I've been wanting to add, given the usual problems with mods when builds are released. At the moment there's the manual method as Quitch described.
  20. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Well both of those things are pretty hidden, took me a while to even spot the additional options after Quitch pointed it out. Request to make them easily visible :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.