Use the In-Game Community Mods - Original PA Mod Manager (PAMM) is Obsolete

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Raevn, August 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reallexx

reallexx New Member

not really checked is there a page i can goto so i can manually add mods to PA
    as this mod manager never going to work for me until i reload windows or dev makes it a exe or worse a .net framework program, norm i can fix most issues but this "data source on another domain" issue is bugging me (hta file cannot access the internet)
  2. silentlife

silentlife New Member

Sorry, I'm a huge computer newb and I am not certain where exactly to look in order to figure out if there is a fix for this/if the mod manager is outdated or something. Anyway, I just recently installed the mod manager by running the .exe that it came with and here's what happened

Preface: I clicked "Yes" on all script error pages.
    Note: Since i'm a new member it will not let me post any of the links I have to the imags I used for explaining what happened. The below things are all from script error prompts.

Upon opening:

'LoadOptions' is null or undefined

Upon refreshing to see mods (which worked)

'FindInstalledMods' is null or undefined

Upon clicking Sort: so that I can sort by title:

'WriteOptionsJSON' is null or undefined
    Upon trying to install the mod I want [ Hotbulid 2 ] (Note: this prompt came up AFTER it asked me whether or not I want to install the dependencies that the mod needs)

'InstallMod' is null or undefined

The mod did not show up in InstalledMods before or after clicking "Refresh" again and did not show a prompt that any install process had begun.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

EDIT: Some more information: I have the game as a part of my Steam and I run on Windows 7. I tried to install the latest version of Internet Explorer but when I did I received a prompt saying "We could not install IE because it is already up to date." or something along those lines.

EDIT EDIT: Oh, also, "Launch PA" is grayed out and there is no installation directory listed under the "Gear icon" in PAMM.

EDIT x3: I also checked my recent update history for windows, paying particular attention to .net framework. The last update was a security update for .net framework 4.5.1 I really wish I knew what I was doing wrong T_T
    Last edited: March 4, 2014
  3. xxoverskiesxx

xxoverskiesxx New Member

It's still not working for me and the problem persists, is there still anything I could try to make it work?
  4. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

hmm kasperskey says this is a virus.
  5. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

kasperskey is wrong. We've had other anti-virus tools say that but it's really just because PAMM has js code that downloads stuff (aka mods) from the internet. Don't worry about it.
  6. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Hey @raevn Can you do something about this in the next Pamm release, Please.

pamm.png
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

That seems to be an internet explorer thing. It might need to be updated or you might have some compatibility settings turned on. It might also be related to the system text size being set to something strange.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Check both your Internet Explorer security settings (see if they are on default) and check any firewalls you have to see if this is being blocked. Cross-domain downloading should be allowed when you are running a local hta file, as it should be running under the "Intranet" zone.

This is typically caused by security/anti-virus software - have a look to see if it is being blocked.

The things to check are:
    • Ensure you are running the latest version of Internet Explorer, with all updates
    • Check to see if any Anti-Virus/firewall software is blocking it (temporarily disabling it is the easiest way to tell)
    • Check your internet explorer security settings
    Looking back, I think you've tried all these before, but it may be worth having another go, looking at Norton in particular. PAMM has changed enough that it may recognise it differently to how it did back when it was working for you.

This, especially updating Internet Explorer seemed to fix it for other people. It's a very strange bug though.
  9. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

But I use chrome, lol.

EDIT: Did some research - apparently Pamm is an HTA and only IE can run HTA. Lol, this feels like IE is that heavily autistic child that cannot function normally but is secretly a math genius.
    mishtakashi likes this.
  10. silentlife

silentlife New Member

I use AVG and superantispyware(free, just for scanning every now and then) and the default windows firewall. I added the file PAMM.hta as an exception, and it did not solve the issue. I temporarily disabled AVG, and it did not solve the issue either. I also forced windows firewall to accept PAMM.hta as an exception as well, and it has not solved the issue.

Furthermore, I realize that you showed the option of "Hey you should check to see if this file is being blocked" in your first post and showed a little picture of where the "Unblock" button is under Properties when right-clicking the image. However, I do not have that prompt; when I right click PAMM.hta the only option under Properties at the bottom of the prompt is Attributes: Read Only, Hidden and a button to Advanced, which does not have any similar sort of feature that I can find. There is a Security tab, but this tab is for access permissions for users and not pertinent to things blocking the file's access to other things on the computer.

AVG has a feature to temporarily disable it for a set amount of time and that's what I used to disable it to try out PAMM even after I added it as an exception. what should I do? ;x I can't even tell if it's being blocked or not, none of my programs tell me otherwise. I really wish I could post pictures of all this, but I'm not allowed to yet ;x
  11. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

Request for improvement:

Currently if you update to a new version of a library mod (e.g. Blueprint Info Framework), then after updating it all the mods that depend on it (e.g. Hotbuild2) will be disabled. Please make it so that PAMM will keep all the mods enabled that used to be enabled before updating.

Lately when I've installed new mods with PAMM, the directories of those mods have Windows 7's "Encrypt contents to secure data" setting enabled. Does this happend to anyone else? I don't like it, but I have no idea why it's happening.
    Quitch likes this.
  12. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Same here.
    It happens with two of the mods I have, both from @wondible
    Maybe he can shed some light about this for us ;)
  13. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Which ones?
  14. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

For example the Linger mod.
  15. wondible

Okay, that's one that uses the grunt build process, which if anything should mean a cleaner directory.
  16. Fr33Lancer

FYI, mine are :
    • fabulous_selections
    • gross_economy
  17. wondible

Hmm.. one with grunt, one with manual zip. Can you give me a small screenshot of the message for context?

Also, are the results different if you don't install them via PAMM?
  18. Fr33Lancer

I just tried your zip versions and they both work as normal folder.

Installing them through PAMM however, does some weird encryption stuff (green folder). I just noticed it again, since Gross Economy ZIP is not the latest apparently, and after updating through PAMM, it turned green.

I noticed this stuff because I had some weird windows prompt. From my browsing history, I found this and the popup is the same or very similar.
    Since I knew there was nothing to worry about, I chose the "Don't shout again" option.
  19. silentlife

silentlife New Member

I have just read through the entirity of this thread to find some kind of fix for my problem - or at least some insight. I did every thing that I could that sounded pertinent: Resetting Internet Explorer, setting Intranet Zone info to default, setting Internet Zone to default, turning Intranet Zone to 'low'. Disabling AVG/SuperAntiSpyware/Firewall all at once, and so on. This is the only truly pertinent thing I found, the problem that Carcinoma posted.

My problem is nearly identical: the only difference that I can notice is that I am using IE 11 still. I noticed that Carcinoma's post ((This was his last post on this forum)) was never answered, at least not directly with a quote that I could see. Hopefully this brings some more information into the problem ;x I really just want to use Hotbuild 2. I used Hotbuild in Supreme Commander and it was excellent~
  20. wondible

This almost sounds like some weird bug between the OS X zipper and the PAMM unzipper.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.