Use PayPal money for hiring SORIAN

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ghodan7, September 14, 2012.

?

Would the community like to have Sorian programming the AI of PA?

Poll closed September 18, 2012.
  1. Yes, put the paypal money into hiring Sorian.

46 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No, use paypal money for something else.

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. Ruprechtus

Ruprechtus New Member

Great news - best RTS team ever :)
  2. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Member

Feel slightly sorry for GPG to be honest.
  3. rockobot

rockobot Member

I'm not sure I've ever seen something like this happen in all of video gaming. Absolutely incredible what has happened.
  4. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Me too.

But good for Uber. Congratulations Sorian!
  5. RCIX

RCIX Member

I don't. They trashed Kings and Castles and can't work on a SupCom 3 half thanks to signing away their rights to the IP and half because their fanbase tantrumed that SC2 wasn't an FA clone but bigger. AoEO kinda sucks too. So unless they have something big up their sleeve, they're just doing boring stuff right now.
  6. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I doubt they've trashed KNC. A SupCom3 is indeed unlikely, now that SE has the IP. Mind you, SE wanted to break into the Western market and thought SupCom would have been a good start. I haven't actually seen much from SE at all, so I think their campaign might have been a failure.
  7. RCIX

RCIX Member

In any case, they have absolutely nothing I'm interested in and failed on the last couple of things I WAS interested in (though I fully blame the community for supcom 2's crash and burn, I feel like it's possible GPG and maybe square enix could have done a touch better in marketing).
  8. rockobot

rockobot Member

To be fair, I think SE was doing great for a while on making some truly good publishing ideas (some bad apples notwithstanding). They just fall flat on any kind of follow-through.

And we're not seeing the behind-the-scenes politics either. So that's important to remember.
  9. doud

doud Well-Known Member

your statement sounds like to me quite unfair. I'm not sure Chris Taylor had lots of alternatives to make his company survive after Supreme commander experience.
    I'm even not sure Chris Taylor, even himself, enjoys that much what he is doing right now. He has clearly stated he had a family and could not afford to take more risks.
    Let's not forget that without Chris Taylor, PA would maybe even not exist today.
  10. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

11. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

The customer is at fault if he doesn't like, buy and play a game?

SupCom2 sucked. Some of the reasons the community was unhappy:
    - too many changes from the tried and tested FA concept
    - newly implemented features were worse than what they replaced
    - art design
    - campaign story
    - no modding and mapping support

The fans wanted FA2, SE wanted a RTS that would work on consoles and would appeal to the teen angst RPG lovers wtih it's story. Those things don't mix well and SupCom2's failure came as no surprise - at least for those who know the TA/SupCom1/FA community.

PS: Don't get me wrong, SupCom2 was brilliant in some technical regards, namely the AI and pathfinding. But those were not enough to make up for the rest.
  12. gunsnbutter

gunsnbutter New Member

13. Veleiro

Veleiro Member

Supcom 1 was a 10 million dollar game.
    Supcom 2 was a 2 million dollar game.

Im sick of hearing this argument. If they had the supcom 1 budget for supcom 2, people would have been a lot happier. They didn't have that budget because not enough people bought supcom 1 and no publisher could see putting that much money into a sequel. It's the community's fault; you are supporting the developer, not the game. If they went with something that's not exactly like forged alliance, it's because they didn't bring enough revenue for forged alliance to stick to that model.
    Last edited: October 12, 2012
  14. ghodan7

ghodan7 New Member

AWESOME. My nagging on the live chat and this post had effect! Whoooeee
  15. JWest

JWest Active Member

Congrats Sorian, glad to hear you've joined the ranks at Uber. PA's definitely going to have some world-class AI now - good news for the folks who like a nice solo skirmish game, like myself.
  16. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Just make sure your AI doesn't take over the world and enslaves us all Sorian. Please! :p
  17. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

No promises
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

OMG, I don't believe it...Uber is really going for AWESOME! lol
  19. magicide1

magicide1 Member

Poor Sorian..

He has certainly delivered the goods in the past but the way expectations are being built up, I think the community will accept nothing less than Skynet. No pressure!

I have to admit though that I'm drinking the Koolaid and hoping for something special...
  20. thorneel

thorneel Member

We expect more, after all Skynet eventually lost (will loose? is going to have being lost? Time travel is confusing).
    Yeah, no pressure!