Upgraded to 290x Crossfire... framerates STILL garbage?!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by smallies, December 11, 2013.

1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

it took me a bit to click on to the sleigh was the l2 caches, lol
  2. doud

doud Well-Known Member

you're the master ;)
    maxpowerz likes this.
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for this detailed post. varrak is definitly a Uber coder and even more important, he is very involved in communicating with the community.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually for simple players you explained it fairly well. ;)
    maxpowerz likes this.
  5. chirpinler

chirpinler New Member

No, stop talk bullshit. You obviously have not checked the facts at all about processors. The i7 series is the highest tier of the processor line-up from Intel, and Intel has in the last years outperformed AMD:s processors by far. His 920 is just fine.
  6. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

The AMD-FX CPUs have always been the better processor at multi-threaded applications and this has been proved many times over, when it comes to particular mathematical calculations on certain benchmarks an Intel CPU is ahead of the AMD CPUs and this is solely because it can handle infomation a lot faster on single threads, but in "real world gaming" there is a difference of 3 FPS for either an AMD or Intel CPU and this has been proved over and over again. Intel's are great at both gaming and Audio encoding / video render software and the like where as AMD isn't quite as good at the other stuff but just as good at gaming. the AMD 4-core/8-core debate really all depends who you ask, it differs from who you actually talk to, like for me with the diagram from the 8350, to me clearly shows 8 cores, but on 4 modules, (this is because there isn't enough space on the CPU die) to fit 8 modules (yet).
    This does not mean AMD is a 4-core cpu, its not, this is where Intel differ. Intel's i7 IS 4 core, but each core is multi-threaded which makes windows think there is more cores then there actually is, hence the bigger performance on fully multi-threaded applications are with AMD CPUs. This answer differs from whomever you ask, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter, both cpus are good at some things and bad at others, and depending on what those things are depend on which cpu you want to buy, plain and simple.
    maxpowerz likes this.