Upcoming update - Ranked Gameplay

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 16, 2014.

1. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Awesome, i'll surely give it a try! Also neat going for SC-like leagues.

Speaking of SC, there is a lot of things which can completely screw up team MM. Better than nothing, but it's something you should keep in mind.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i hope we get words on future in game content soon ... multiplanetgames and orbital still need more flexibility ...
    as much as good news this is to the muliplayer community it is rather secondary to those who just want to enjoy the game .. and current multiplanet and orbital kinda brakes that a bit
  3. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

Great news! Looking forward to the official ladder system!
  4. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

I want to speak on the subject of the system editor. I would like to be able to setup team spawns in the map creator. For example, I have a two planet system right now with 2 starting planets that are quite small and a central larger planet that is rich in resources. I would like to have the game only show starting locations for one team per planet. If there are more teams then let it default back to how it works now but whenever there are only two teams, I would like to be able to force them to a specific starting planet.

Also I would like to be able to specify tech limitations when creating a system. Or have tech upgrades found during the course of the game.
    carn1x likes this.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

My only issue, is that given that pretty much EVERYONE else's ranked systems have the same, well, ranks, ours should be named something different...

Maybe:

bronze = dox
    silver = bolo
    gold = hornet
    platinum = nuke launcher
    diamond = commander

perhaps?

or, maybe in light of current balance:

bronze = bolo
    silver = hornet
    gold = nuke launcher
    platinum = commander
    diamond = dox

In all seriousness though, I do think we should have different ladder names, the standard ones are so bland.

I also hope we get some balance updates to fix dox superiority, and have more versatility in our options. Maybe we could get the stinger back too...
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. LmalukoBR

LmalukoBR Well-Known Member

Don't really care about a ladder to 1v1's (those are not my cup of coffee), but i guess it is a stepping stone to us having FFA and team ladder.
  7. Zainny

Zainny Active Member

Hey icy, I took your advice and just did my first ever army sharing game in a multiplayer 2v2v2 game. IT WAS AWESOME. My and a guy called gunwrath teamed up - obviously since it was just a impromptu match I found in the server listing we didn't have much comms going on, but we ended up winning overall. Probably the most fun I've had playing PA so far...though sim speed dropped pretty badly as the game went on, and I wish we had picked a system with less planets too...

Anyway, tons of fun. Good advice. A++ would listen to again :)

Lobby ID is: 10772134251697198969
    icycalm and squishypon3 like this.
  8. foerest

foerest Member

o nice, hopefully we get a competitive scene/seen going
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

10. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

I think I've played against gunwrath. Looking forward to having you join mine and my friend's lobbies :)
  11. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

15 days and counting ^^ yay
  12. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

I'd love to see an FFA map with starting locations configured to 8 players split across 4 moons, split across 2 planets. It's a metaphorical and literal knockout tournament :D
  13. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Why bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond? Everyone does that. Should be something new like: Dox, Vanguard, Nuke, Asteroid, Anihilaser.
    squishypon3 and carn1x like this.
  14. thefluffybunny

thefluffybunny Active Member

PA play-style / genre is niche already, better to use terms people are generally familiar with and can guess the meaning of without knowing the game.
  15. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I claim a diamond spot! And it better not be ELO, please, for the love of God.
    squishypon3 and stuart98 like this.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

While I could literally give zero pelicans about ranked or matchmaking.

Good work for the people who do like that stuff, as it both improves the worth of PA as a product, and will allow people to lathe their mouths shut about it not existing.

Looking forward to what the map makers come up with too, hopefully their balanced maps will also be visually appealing, as I never did like the artificial look of some supcom maps when the entire floor was basically grass.

GG,GG.
    squishypon3, zihuatanejo and carn1x like this.
  17. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

Why would anyone "work their way through the rankings system"? Surely you play, get ranked, if you get better your rank improves, if everyone else gets better your rank falls?
  18. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Sweet! For a sec I was worried we'd just be able to see each others ranks and that was it! Really, really, really looking forward to this, particularly to see how many players will end up playing regular ranked 1v1 games. Currently there are only about 400 players in the PA Stats based ladder.

And this will help retain players as well. It isn't fun to keep losing games to players better than you, especially when people just quit afterwards and don't review games together (i.e. the majority). Not helped by the game's current victory state (takes you straight to the menu), which I've grumbled about it another thread.

Anyway, I digress - awesome news, looking forward to the update!
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Because it's immediately understandable.
    wilhelmvx likes this.
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

by the way this list you suggest isn't exactly new... yes.. yes the simpsons did it....

in GPGnet and faf it was t1 land scout leading all the way up to land experimental. funny coincidence that it should seem natural to you as well. but I like the idea. And appreciate the dox joke.