Upcoming AI Neural Net Change

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Sorian, October 14, 2014.

1. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I am still planning on writing a blog post (or set of blog posts) at some point.
  2. daelderly

daelderly New Member

So you are a software engineer? awesome! thats what im currently majoring in!
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

A couple of questions since this is the new AI topic :)

1. Will we be seeing AI shared armies return?
    2. Do you intend to make an AI Overlord for PA to handle Team Alliances?
    zweistein000 likes this.
  4. Daddie

Daddie Member

@sorian

The 0.5 seems like a fixed threshold which could make the AI predictive. Ever thought of implementing a "gray area"? For example 0.0 - 0.4 = run, 0.6 - 1.0 = attack and 0.4 - 0.6 = pick a random task.
  5. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

As I understand it:
    Gather the likely result for each action.
    Ignore all that are under the treshold (0.5 previously).
    If there is no action left, run
    If there is one acation left, take it
    If there are multiple actions left - not sure about that part. Is the decision here random? Just taking the best action? Making a weighted random decision (based on how "good" each action would be relative to the threshold)?

With the recent change the treshold is a bit more "fluid". It is now 0.5 or the result of "run away" action, wichever is lower. If running away is bad, then a lot of other options suddenly become quite good.
  6. fuzzels

fuzzels Member

@sorian, @neutrino is upgrading your title to "Uber Fellow - Brain Engineer" right? :)

Great vid (saw it back then already), and thanks for all the AI work in PA!
  7. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

That is kind of the point of the change. Make it so the AI can have a "grey area" where it is better to stay and fight at a loss than it is to run away and lose by a wider margin.

The platoon runs through the neural network outputs finding the highest value valid action. What makes an action valid is:

1) it is above the run away threshold
    2) there is a valid target for that action present
  8. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

The AI's ability to use air power seems to have diminished.

In the two skirmish battles (Relentless AI) I just played using the newly released build, both my AI teammates and AI opponents ended up with over 100 bombers sitting in their bases doing nothing late in the game.

Regards

(Edit: If there's a way to share my local server replays, please tell me, and I'll do so.)

I took a screenshot when something similar happened in my next AI skirmish, but I apparently can't create a link to it from my Steam account due to permissions here.
    Last edited: October 17, 2014
    Quitch likes this.
  9. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The AI knows that bombers will get shredded when not in friendly airspace.

So they prefer to use them effectively to counter attack enemy infernos who can get close.
  10. Quitch

No, I've seen the same, and it doesn't respond to enemy platoons with spinners rolling in, so it ends up losing a ton of planes for no good reason.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I have also seen this.

The AI isn't exactly pro active at keeping assets like planes safe by moving them away from AA when not attacking.
  12. Quitch

Yeah, but it does seem to keep much larger forces of bombers in its base than previously which is why I noticed.
    mutrumbo likes this.
  13. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

I noticed similar issues with the AI's air game. Might be related with my AA being placed to close to the base. The AI had the odd habit to suicide Interceptors into my T1 AA too, despite it well knowing they were there.

Local severs can make a replay if it is explicitly started from command line before you try to make a local game. Actually saving that before the next run is a bit trickier, but somebody made a Windows batch file for that:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/0/619568192902991690/
    mutrumbo likes this.
  14. mutrumbo

mutrumbo Member

Ah, yes, I do remember seeing that. Thanks for reminding me.