Unit Ranges Vs Zoom

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by acey195, September 11, 2012.

?

What do you think of unit ranges and zoom levels

1. I want my units to be practically melee range to be able to see everything on one screen.

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. I want to be able to see groups of medium range artillery units firing at each other, without having

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. I want to be able to see groups of assault units firing at each other, without having to use icon re

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. I just want to be able to see my units firing or the targets, I don't need to see both without using

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. I almost never zoom in, Icon representations are fine.

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. Techubus

Techubus New Member

Works for me. :D

As to the question raised by the poll itself, it seems to me there are more variables to consider. For instance, what if the distance that icons were drawn could be adjusted by the player, rather than fixed? The question of scale and how far out you're zoomed before things require icons is largely affected by resolution and screen size, not to mention other rendering options.

In short, it seems to me to be a much more complicated discussion that the options provided by the poll. The questions above, and others I'm sure, need to be considered before you can even begin to accurately debate on screen vs off screen unit ranges.
  2. zordon

zordon Member

Indeed.
  3. acey195

acey195 Member

I agree,

but you need to start somewhere. I know it is almost impossible to exactly pinpoint how it is going to work, but the team will have to think of (design) a general screensize-to-unit-range-ratio, which is as you point out, dependent on a lot of factors. I just wanted to know what the general opinion was on this matter, as well as Uber probably.
  4. zordon

zordon Member

Screensize cough resolution is such a stupid basis for unit range though. There's no such thing as the right resolution.
  5. Consili

Consili Member

I completely agree - Strategic zoom is something that felt really natural to me in the SupCom games - if I recall right there were even keyboard shortcuts for snapping to various levels of zoom for those who had some vendeta against the mouse wheel (I did use one to snap to full map view from time to time)

Having the option in PA to adjust at what level of zoom icons were overlayed, or a shortcut for toggling them on and off (we want to take screenshots of massive battles after all!) would be awesome.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

ya up, but ah well the point to get agcross here is that the party crashers that came here having a problem with strat icons have just delved too far into the wrong neighborhood.
  7. paulvonhindenburg

paulvonhindenburg New Member

I want to put off the entire icons if necressary or just to watch the whole battle or to enyoy my base from space.