Unit Ranges Vs Zoom

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by acey195, September 11, 2012.

?

What do you think of unit ranges and zoom levels

1. I want my units to be practically melee range to be able to see everything on one screen.

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. I want to be able to see groups of medium range artillery units firing at each other, without having

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. I want to be able to see groups of assault units firing at each other, without having to use icon re

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. I just want to be able to see my units firing or the targets, I don't need to see both without using

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. I almost never zoom in, Icon representations are fine.

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Whether strategic zoom is good or bad, and whether we like it or not, it has been confirmed to be in the game. No matter how good or bad your arguments are, the developers on this game have experience making SupCom's zoom, obviously loved it, and want it in. Honestly, I don't know why people keep replying with answers calling the people with those ideas stupid instead of just saying that zoom has been confirmed without a doubt, regardless of whether you want it or not.

What I wouldn't mind is for them to confirm something like the ability for hosts to disallow zoom for everyone in the match. It might split the community a bit, but I doubt by anything noticeable, seeing as the people who want zoom gone for good are in a very small minority, and it would hopefully put an end to all these complaints about strategic zoom. Of course, this would have to show up in the serverlist, so that it wouldn't annoy people who want to join a normal game, just to suddenly end up in a room with zoom disabled.
  2. zordon

zordon Member

No zoom sounds like a job for a mod. Let the bads do their own dirty work.
  3. PKC

PKC New Member

yeah let's fix a non-existent problem by ruining the game!

i mean honestly! :roll:

despite what all the bads assert, nothing forces you (in supcom at least) to play zoomed out. but preventing other players from utilising the zoom because you like penis in your mouth just doesn't sit right with me.
  4. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

How would it ruin the game? Most people (like you) would just avoid those games and never have to worry about losing out on something as great as strategic zoom.

The way you talk, it sounds like you expect the majority of people to disable zoom. If that would actually happen (which I highly doubt), then that would tell us that something is wrong.
  5. erastos

erastos Member

Wow you're bad. I actually did bother to (re)post (yet another) rebuttal of this (terrible) idea. That seems to be the one reply you're ignoring. So congrats, I'm now with everyone else - go read the other threads. You're not worth the time to debate.
  6. PKC

PKC New Member

For starters, the zoom would likely be inherent to all the gameplay options, just like supcom’s was. So server scrub is making the game worse for all other players. sure, you could choose not to play with server scrub but who wants to be in and out of lobbies trying to find game types set by people who aren’t retarded? Secondly, there’s an implicit assumption that those choosing not to utilise zooming out would be at a disadvantage. This simultaneously accepts that the zoom is a very useful tool overall, while totally missing the point that it is more than acceptable to play zoomed in with minimal disadvantage overall (note I am referencing supcom here because PA isn’t out yet).

Might as well have an option to ban people from using the shift key or an option to ban queued commands. Hell, why not the option to ban all the players whose usernames begin with A-L. stupid nonsensical idea that will never see the light of day.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Like I said before, This is the same as with any new version of Starcraft, I'm sure there was nerd raeg threads on the Blizzard Forums about things like Harvester Rally, 'Unlimited' Selection and Queue System(GOSH I wonder where that came from >.>) and even now they're raeging about Heart of the Swarm having Auto Harvesting at the start of the game and showing how many harvesters you have on minerals/gas.

Fact is that making a game simpler is NOT the same as making it simple.

Mike
  8. w00j

w00j New Member

PA isn't SupCom.

Jon Mavor said that he feels PA is the spiritual successor to TA, and if that is the case then it should retain a similar scale.

That being said, I don't have a problem with tactical zoom itself, just the way it will cause the game play to shift into a more SupCom direction. I read most of the interviews with the dev team and I understand PA will be mostly macro based. Now my question is, will there still be a high enough element of micro for which you will need to zoom in and control your army? not to the extent of Starcraft 2, but say to the levels of TA?
  9. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Logical fallacy much!?
  10. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

1. Keep the strategic zoom
    2. Improve the close view so it is at least as playable and enjoyable as the TA view
    3. ???
    4. Profit !
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Especially when you consider;

Note the Italics, theres even links!

Spiritual Successor isn't the same thing as a Remake, it means they will use as much from TA as possible but will make changes in order to create a better game. changes such as Smashing PLANETs into each other among other things, MANY other things.....

Mike
  12. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

Yeah just like:
    Supcom2 has X, Supcom2 was bad, then X is bad.
  13. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

True, but SupCom 2 made a great deal more changes than the scale.

Not to mention it was a direct sequel and not a 'spiritual successor'.
    I think the ire would have been an order of magnitude less (but still high) if it had been named and marketed as the latter instead of the former.
  14. w00j

w00j New Member

I've read that thread many times, I'm not arguing whether strategic zoom should be implemented or not. I agree it needs some form of strategic zoom considering the planetary scale of the game. My concern is how game play will be effected. Personally I don't want to be reduced to moving icons on my screen.

Please read the rest of my quoted post.
  15. Spooky

Spooky Member

@OP: You are mixing way too many issues into one poll.

In a good way ;)

Then zoom in.
  16. shollosx

shollosx Member

I think that the user interface and the options available to customizing the way you like to command your units is a serious great idea. I think of it a little like addons in world of Warcraft. But dare I say, we needto make sure that the functionality is as right as possible and try not to over do the possibility to customize. Starcraft did this very one sided. It made the resolutions in the original game all the same so that there was more balance. I think a little can be learned from this. Because it just reminds me again of wow addons, which surpass the actual games original interface. I just want to see that the games original interface and the options applicable to it are going to be of the highest quality possible, leaving a need for change or enhancement Not desired.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

As long as this does not have great influence on the overall gameplay this is the way to go to please everyone. And from what I saw in the trailer, thats what Uber is going for. So we all end up at Point 4 :)
    -Apart from those few who actually dont want a zoom, those people should just go and play SC2 xD-
  18. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

Or stick to TA.

But yeah, I think this really would be the best solution.
  19. mauly

mauly New Member

PKC, zordon and OrangeKnight: You're very arrogant. I've seen several threads where someone suggests something you don't like. And you don't just disagree, you try to make the OP look like a moron. What's wrong with you? Do you think people with less than 15 years into TA/SupCom and less than 250$ pledge should not have an opinion of what they want PA to be like?

To the topic: I've only played the SupCom demo and I don't like the constant zooming in and out. The TA zoom is perfect for me.
  20. Spooky

Spooky Member

Total Annihilation has no zoom and its "zoom level" is determined by the resolution you use.