Unit Cannon & Asteroid Belt Discussion?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Guni, June 29, 2014.

?

Is the cannon still something you'd like to see?

1. Yes

93.0%
  2. No

2.7%
  3. You're the driver

4.3%
  1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I don't think WYSISYG is biggest concern here, I do think it would be best if WYSISYG was adhered to but the other mechanics from the SupCom style transports like having to actually drop off/pick up units are much more important overall.

Mike
    igncom1 likes this.
  2. LeatherNeck2382

LeatherNeck2382 Member

Why not an external style transport like in SupCom? They're robots, so what do they need all the niceties for? Besides, then WYSIWYG because you can see the "rack" of units.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Bot transports, both for burst DPS snipes and other general use, would be nice. I still want to make a mod that does bots in the vangaurd. Even if I can't rack bots along the side, it serves same purpose, soak damage, then a one time use DPS and a plausible variety of what it's attack is. If bomb bots, very possible to snipe a commander. If a variety of combat bots land and AA, it can get by oppression and try to mess with the eco-field they defend. If fabbers, you can land the vanguard on a planet by astraeus and try to get fabbers established with the extra health.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You'll want to read through this thread;

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/a-light-bulb-came-on.51138/

Mike
  5. LeatherNeck2382

LeatherNeck2382 Member

That thread was a few months back, so I forgot it was there. :(

Still, one can hope. ;)
  6. necroe

necroe New Member

personally i'd prefer a nerfed teleport (higher cost / lower hp) and an actual orbital transport that can carry atleast a squadron, as others have said carrying only 1 unit is rather worthless.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I still think having a basic transport for 1 unit is fine, as massing them up is really really easy with area commands.

But a more expensive squad carrying transport would be acceptable to me.
  8. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Posted on the wrong thread.
  9. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Asteroid belts: No. That's a bit much, and it will be difficult to track someone down in an asteroid belt, plus, a lot of computers can't handle it, etc.

The unit cannon though! I want it. The question is, should it be able to launch any unit?

Maybe it could be a factory that makes the balls with four of those things each (as seen in the trailer)

We should also discuss the strategic value in having the ability to fire it at your own planet, essentially futuristic paratroopers
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Asteroid belts are practically confirmed. Brad even said it is likely a feature which will get a lot of attention from the devs in the near future.
  11. zurginator

zurginator Member

Because science. It's easier for an object to reach escape velocity or orbit if it's launched at an angle. Use the cannon to achieve orbit, then use a short burst of thrust to slingshot.

Also: isn't the claimed problem with the cannon the whole "splitting units up" thing? Why not just increase the rate of fire and only fire a single unit at a time?
  12. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

I was thinking maybe the unit cannon could have limited range and maybe used in conjunction with the planet thrusters, e.g. You use your thrusters to manouver your planet close to your apponent so you can fire your unit canon.
  13. longboolean

longboolean New Member

Here is a weird idea for a mass transport ship that could be WYSIWYG.
    Have a huge dish shaped magnetic ship that you fly directly over your units and magnetize them to the underside of the ship.(Maybe it requires energy) Fly it around a bit to get a nice hefty clump of units underneath.(robot Katamari) Once you hit the limit, lift off and drop the units where you want them. (My logic breaks down on metal planets where the ship would crash into the ground)
  14. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

TL;DR

but I hope you guys know that pick up and drop off are area commands.
  15. toorvis

toorvis Member

I've come to the stage where I simply just refuse to play the game until the cannon has been implemented, leaving out such an important feature, and forcing us to carpetnuke a turtled planet as the only option for siege, is terrible and gamebreaking in my opinion. I accepted the game and had some fun matches trying out new features before, but as soon as the game was "launched" in this state, I just lost a lot of respect overall.

I've even waited with sending in my custom commander information too, so that uber wouldn't spend time and resources developing something just for me and prioritize the community instead. But now I'll just send in my drawings and models and kindly ask Mr. Scattergood to send me a mail when the cannon and other extremely important features like ferry command and balance are on par with what's worthy for a released game.

Regards
    ¨~ Chris
    corteks and ace63 like this.
  16. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

I must say...i partly agree, by the time they implement the Unit Cannon, everything will be fixed and many other polish/features will be finished by the time they get to Unit Cannon
  17. plague11

plague11 Member

you know whats really weird in the past few games i've played online i found a unit cannon werck i tired to repair it but then i remember its destory and can't be repired i also found some human city ruins. which i think is petty cool that you can find things like that in the game.
  18. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Yes the biomes definitely need more things like this. They are just decoration and don't add anything to gameplay but they add flavour to what you see on screen. I'm a big fan of the little things.
  19. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

It would be great to have ferry waypoints like supcom so we don't need to constantly area click when we want to move units from a to b.

Also, it would be nice to be able to just select some units, click on another planet, and have them automatically figure out if they can take a nearby teleporter there or a transport. Would really ease a lot of the hassle of multi-planet movement.
  20. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Definitely a yes; more variety to do things is always a winner, and having multiple ways of landing on a planet can't be anything other than a benefit

As it stands, entrenched moons are very difficult to crack without carpet nukes