Ubuntu 12.04

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by hvhp, September 28, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You really installed latest kernel and latest Mesa? Do you have libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 installed?
  2. hvhp

hvhp Member

EDIT - THink i got it.... :)
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This game don't have 32-bit version on Linux. You need to install libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0.
  4. hvhp

hvhp Member

That broke the install :)

I've updated to 13.04 (But mdadm method will not work when chrooting the /taeget/ but thats another storey ) so no raid.

On a better note, this game works but as a few issues but im guessing that's normal with open source drivers.

I'm terrible for going on tangents and i'm always learning even when breaking things :) I enjoy the challenge unlike most as i'm getting into coding and a like.

Seems to run a little laggy too but have not fully tested nothing yet or even played a game yet, To busy playing/breaking other things for now :)

I've got 2x 240GB SSD'd so should be able keep it below 120GB and leave the required 120GB free for speed purposes for ubuntu and was thinking of sticking SteamOS on the other when it comes out. Then ill evaluate both OS's. That will mean i have 4 versions of linux and no versions of windows :)

Crunchbang still my favourite distro by a million miles, Shame it don't support steam :( I personally hate unity (its going soon and going try setup openbox) and just how it seems so 'windows rotty' of late. But thats the problem with supporting loads of different machines and catering for everyone i suppose. I'll be working on geentoo soon and im certain ill be able make my own OS thats for my machine only with all the features i like from the different distro's :)

So you can understand my wanting to dig deep into anything and everything i hope :)

Many thanks again SXX, top man
    Last edited: September 30, 2013
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Check thread I linked, there is fix for sun and icons bug.
    I also make fix for shaders compilation problems when get enough time to do so, currently too busy on other issues.

But I can guarantee you that you can get it work with Catalyst if you try a bit harder.
  6. hvhp

hvhp Member

Ah, i just updated to mesa 9.2 & did the radeon=1 thing. With the radeon 1 thing it loads up black screen after logging on. If i remove it from the grub loader command it spazzing out after logging in. Both Kernals.... I think this is another re-install :)

Again, getting on here. Tomorrow is a new day with new ideas. Should i really be trying run mesa 9.2 at all? It's brand BRAND new :)
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Why you need to re-install something if you can remove dpm option right from grub before start system?
    Load to GRUB, select kernel, press "e" to edit parameters and remove this option, it's will load.

Actually I'm sorry about that black screen, it's my fall. :oops:
    Before load system with radeon.dpm=1 you need to download new firmware for your card. I should say you about that, check this article:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/3247...amic-power-management-feature-in-ubuntu-13-04

If you want to use Open source drivers you should use latest kernel and latest userspace drivers stack.
  8. hvhp

hvhp Member

Hey SSX,

I did try both kernals with and without the DPM settings. With it i get the black screen, without its just a mangled mess of colors once it gets past the log in screen.

As im testing all this re-install is cool, it takes 10-15 minutes at most on my system, Unless RAID'ing of cause. Im going use the 13.10 now though as im kinda testing stuff out as well. I should say i'm doing more that 1 (even 5) things at once. I recommend Ubuntu to people but for some reason (many laptops/desktp PC) it does not like me :)

I know someone who works for a company that does all the work for people like HP and other large companies (there aint many!) on there tablets & laptops and also mobiles. my mate is head of R&D and even have unlocks for HTC one and knows/uses unreleased phones/software from the 'future' thats yet un-announced and even they can't understand the issues i have with Ubuntu. As i say, I've used/and use a lot of distro's with no issue.... except Ubuntu :)

Personally, I just wanted the 'ubuntu' back end support and change the whole thing to my liking, Hense i will be looking into Gentoo in the near future. I was thinking Arch too but im thinking jumping in the deep end is where you learn best but arch is getting a lot of attention. I like to follow Juiptor Broadcasting and although is pretty mainstream, It's a nice thing to follow still.

I enjoy this kind of stuff more than playing games so you'll have to excuse me for being so random and changing things every minute :)

Back on subject, I still have the install so i can access without loading into the GUI. Ill have a look at updating the userspace there. I did update to the new firmware for DPM so it's not that. all your help as been extremely helpful and i thank you for that, I'm sure you have better things to do than help some semi-noob to get there head around some of these things but i can say i've been involved in computers nearly 20 years and this stuff does sink in and is used to good use :)

HVHP
  9. mrrainbowcookie

mrrainbowcookie New Member

Hey,
    I run PA without Steam on Ubuntu 12.04. With the first version I downloaded, I had trouble with the GLIBCXX/libstdc++6 libraries. I managed to fix that by including weird repositories (ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test) and reinstalling libstdc++6. At least that got me the client running, which then prompted me to download a newer client. I just downloaded version 54497, now I get the following problem when trying to start PA from console:
    ./PA: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_regex.so.1.49.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    What dependencies am I missing this time?
    I'll puzzle around later, just wanted to report this.
  10. hvhp

hvhp Member

That's funny, I've just got 13.10 up and running and i noticed its got the latest.... Everything and i get this same message :)

Investigating myself now :)
  11. hvhp

hvhp Member

Well i fixed mine quite easy. I looked up libboost-regex in synaptic and found version 1.49/1.53/1.54 and installed all 3.

I'd have to note, I added a lot of repertories from here so if you don't see them, I'd recommend this site to get the latest stuff

http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/

GOing test the game now....... I am on 13.10 now too, a Test build in final BETA

EDIT: Wow, Game seems to work and looks alright too. There seems to be some 'laggyness' that wasn't present in windows but i'm guessing that may be down to the open source drivers maybe?

Anyways, Up and running :)
    Last edited: October 1, 2013
  12. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Specifically, you need version 1.49. See AyanZo's post. But no worries, this dependency will disappear in the next build according to UberWilliam:
  13. hvhp

hvhp Member

Nice one for the heads up and explanation. The only graphics issue i can see is when you 'assist' and the 'final' cursor when mvoing a unit shows up as a 'block' instead of been a blue circle of whatever. Nothing i can't handle :)

Be nice get the propriety drivers working :)