Uber, Please Give Us an Update on Server/Offline/Saves

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, October 5, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

How is Uber communicating with the community an unfavorable outcome?

You say that only bad will come from Uber communicating, and that's simply not true.
    doud, janusbifrons, cmdandy and 6 others like this.
  2. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Nope, I say only bad will come from Uber communicating in THIS THREAD when it is already unsuitable for 2 way communication. It is an unfavourable outcome for Uber. It would be favourable for us if Uber said something, but I think this thread is not the place.

Why is it a PR trap then? Because the stated purpose of this thread is asking Uber for a response when we all knew that this thread would become a pretty hot if not on-fire discussion.

If they don't say something in this thread, because they are planning on making a statement later, they are still going to get burned from this thread.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

Yes... and I don't want them to communicate inside this thread. I'm not asking them to communicate inside this thread. I'm just asking them to communicate.

So I'm not sure what your point is.
    doud, cmdandy and Planktum like this.
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

And what answer will satisfy you?

Because it seems to me that "we're working on it" doesn't cut it, weirdly enough. Because they've said that. The only universe in which they're not working on it (assuming they're not lying flat-out, in which case community interaction is unimportant because their word is no longer trustworthy) is a universe that you have made up.

Anecdotal evidence about your life as a web designer holds little water here. You provide a product for a set price with a minimum deliverable and a cost-time estimate that's provided from the start.

Games development is an entirely different beast, and you (or me, or any other player of the game) is not a paying client who signed a contract for said deliverable.

Also, your apparently new-founded dislike of Brad seems to be leaking through many of your recent posts. Did he interact with you personally in a way you disdain? Because this seems to be a somewhat sudden thing (that you're generalising to "Uber troll their customers" when your issue seems to be with @BradNicholson personally - yet more misrepresentation that you've claimed throughout you're not doing) and to be more precise - it seems to be a personal thing.

Which, as ever, isn't being reported on fairly, you haven't referenced any specific activity or provided a source, and are simply content in repeatedly stating this abuse you've seen perpetrated by Uber and hoping people will take you at your word.

Instead of contacting Uber about it, or the moderation team, to boot, I presume.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

I have never once said that Uber isn't working on it. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm simply asking for an update. A real update with actual information other than "we're working on it." What does that mean? A month from now? Next year? Who know when? Provide meaningful information.

While game development and web design are different in some areas, they are the same in many areas. Primarily, you have to ship sometime and you have to deliver what you promised. Deadlines must be made and met at some point. So this whole "we don't know how long it take" only holds water for so long. All developers can give a rough approximation of how long it'll take. There is a degree of uncertainly, and there's always the unexpected difficulties. But that doesn't change the fact that Uber has a rough idea of how long it'll be before offline will be here, and Uber needs to push it sometime.

Not sudden. Not new founded. I've just been quiet about it. Misrepresentation? Nah. Brad has straight up trolled members of the community. Not a cool thing. I'm not the only person who has noticed this or commented on it, and other people have talked about it. So it's not just something that you gotta take on my word.

I actually have contacted Uber about it. And the mod team. Several times. I even have messaged brad directly after he asked people to message him if they had an issue. Brad never responded.

So stop putting words in my mouth and stop assuming things about what I have or haven't done.

I also don't want this thread to get derailed too much or it'll get locked.

This is trying to get Uber to communicate more. Not a flame war.
    doud, cmdandy and ozonexo3 like this.
  6. Gorbles

Enough with the drama. I've read you trying this on other posters in this very thread (and others), and it won't fly here.

I didn't say you said anything. I asked you what would be acceptable news from Uber. You still haven't answered that question fully - you say "real information" - what constitutes real?

Give me an example of something that a) will make you happy and b) can't be held against Uber if for whatever reason their plans change or obstacles arise that require dealing with.

I know software development in general shares a lot of similarities. The difference for your (and my) job(s) is as such: clients pay to have deadlines met. Games development simply has to deliver a functional product in such a manner that they can't be sued for non-completion or whatever country/continent-specific consumer protection laws exist. I outlined this already, hopefully the clarification is clear this time around.

I always speak from my perspective. You, in this thread and the other one, have mentioned the trolling. You did not mention what the trolling was. You still haven't linked to any instance of it. This isn't a derail insofar that you have repeatedly raised it as a tangent to attack Uber with. You also generalised the situation to Uber as a company, instead of noting that it was Brad specifically.

You don't get to call me out for derailing when you started the derail. I didn't put any words in your mouth. Please stop playing the victim and realise that when you make bold, provocative statements, people will call you out for them. I'm not here to cause offense. I'm here to broker some form of understanding that is, for the most part, sorely lacking in threads like these.
  7. brianpurkiss

I have stated pretty specifically that it was Brad doing the trolling. There was one post of mine where I mentioned Uber was doing the trolling, but since Brad is a member of Uber, that statement is technically true. I should have phrased that one post better, but again, it was one post. I'm pretty sure the rest of my posts have been specifically talking about Brad trolling.

What's more, it wasn't me derailing the thread. Me talking about trolling, which you are focusing on, was in response to someone placing the blame of Uber's lack of communication on the Community, rather than Uber – which is where the derailment began.

Also, I actually very specifically stated what would be a meaningful response.

Since you didn't seem to bother to read all of my post, I'm not gonna bother continuing to take the bait and derail this thread further.
    doud, cmdandy and Planktum like this.
  8. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Clopse and squishypon3 like this.
  9. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

That's exactly why I compared it. People are getting worked up about it, and I'm saying maybe we should be angry about the Government's transparency.
  10. Gorbles

@brianpurkiss - you said:

That is all you said. That is not specific.

That does not help.

But, feel free to duck out. All you're doing is proving you cannot handle debate well, or you can't handle earlier mistakes in order to move forward fairly. I asked you a simple question, and you completely failed to answer it.

Bonus points for attacking my character instead of answering my points (ad hominem, ho!).
  11. jvickers

jvickers Member

I think the main point regarding this is that debates about this amongst us lot are pointless then again Uber could provide some hard facts about what's going on. One possible reason that they would not do so is if the facts actually look worse than the silence.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  12. jendrykgaming

jendrykgaming Member

Hey look, it's Gorbles! You're probably my favorite case study in denial. Keep it up, bro.

See now? THAT'S what an ad hominem looks like. Also, when you sidetrack a debate/discussion/argument by flailing about ad hominem, you're committing to a red herring. Complaints about logical fallacies work both ways, and it never resolves the discussion. It's usually a sign that someone would rather shift away from the real issue to a fight about logical fallacies instead.

Glass houses, buddy.
    gatokatcha, bradaz85 and elkanfirst like this.
  13. brianpurkiss

I guess you still didn't read my post because I said: "What does that mean? A month from now? Next year? Who know when? Provide meaningful information."

I also never once made an attack at your character.
  14. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

15. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

So should we start a new thread asking where the ladder is now?
    Fr33Lancer and zihuatanejo like this.
  16. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

That looks sweet
  17. brianpurkiss

I'm more interested in server access. I really want those 40 man games back.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Let's see if the modders will be able to make a lan only server work online with the player limit removed.
    I know what I'll be doing on the 9th I guess.
  19. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Modders should have a field day with this. You can do 40 player games with this release, though it's not officially supported yet. We've got UI stuff to do on our end, in addition to other work.
  20. Geers

Geers Post Master General

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    stuart98 likes this.