Uber layoffs information

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, October 30, 2014.

1. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

So its Brad, Garat, and Meta gone that we know of?
  2. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the laws are like in the US, but in the UK he wouldn't be allowed to comment on this
    elkanfirst likes this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

While it is sad to see garat go I was wondering about that since a while already: Garat was producer for PA wasn't he? Now jables is "director of production": To me it seems jables got garats position, and garat moved to HR, as he is quite visible in the pitch video.
    So take HR away and garat has no more place :(
    Not sure what meta's position was, but my cloudy memories is trying to tell me it was similar to producer as well.
  4. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

Yea that is what I thought. Also as a matter of just being polite to those who lost their jobs.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Jable's is not going to speak for them.

The people that did get laid off will have to say it themselves. Personally I would not be comfortable saying it if I got fired.
    Fr33Lancer and cptconundrum like this.
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Getting made redundant is not the same as being fired, let us please not conflate the two.

Vice President of Business Development.
    DeadStretch, corteks, ooshr32 and 5 others like this.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah the term 'fired' has negative connotations and I think it's quite clear this isn't the case here. Uber are sadly forced to reduce their headcount to remain financially viable, and I'm certain this is something they don't want to do if they could avoid it (as it's like moving backwards as a company- companies ideally want to keep growing).

I am surprised @garat and @metabolical are leaving, thank you to both of you for your excellent insights into your work on the game! I hope to see you heading up some new amazing development projects in the near future :)
  8. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

That does not bode well for a HR reboot attempt next year... I hope layoffs will free up enough cash flow to keep Uber rolling to whatever they do next.
  9. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

EVEN META AND GARAT? :(:(:(
    Mann all my favourite developers are leaving the company :(
    They were really quiet lately but WHYYY?

It feels like the main force behind Uber is leaving :3
    I expected some lay-offs, but not on these 3 known people...
  10. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

And here nearly all hope for a relaunch of the HR-Campaign dies...
    ...the ones that would have developed HR are leaving---so it cannot be resurrected! And it was just SUCH an incredibly well-done presentation trailer! :eek:
    Feel so sorry for you... :(
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Well not just that, from a legal perspective they're completely different things.
    DeadStretch, Raevn and cdrkf like this.
  12. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

I urge to ask you to add some commas, people may misquote you for evil doings and spreading chaos.

is*

by the way @jables who is going to update the build tracking thread?
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

@jables is going to update the build tracking thread.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@totalannihilation

How did I know someone would say that? ;)

I meant nothing by it, he just hasn't been as active on the forums so I'm not sure as to what he's been doing as of late! :p
  15. allister

allister Active Member

When I think over the development of PA, I think of meta, garat, and brad because of all the live streams. Weird they are no longer a part of PA :(.

Maybe Valve has their doors open.
  16. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Whilst I agree all the ones we know of are great guys, I can't think of any of them I'd want to see go?

They have such a list of talented people, like varrak and bgolus (graphics / visual fx), Sorian (AI) Mavor (engine) and all the other people who have contributed to PA... What I would say is they will still have a fantastic team even after this as they're all really capable.

The other thing is that I think there are great opportunities for all those who are leaving. I know from personal experience that whilst the process of leaving and finding new employment is a difficult one, it can work out well- especially when you have the support of your previous employer like in this case. The old saying 'when one door closes another one opens' I think is applicable here.
    eukanuba and squishypon3 like this.
  17. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I'm sad to hear that Meta, I always enjoyed your posts and casts. Best wishes to you.
    someonewhoisnobody likes this.
  18. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I know they have a lot of other very talented people. But these three guys, together with Mavor were the 4 main guys of PA from the beginning, alias the main guys you saw in every livestream. Alias the main guys you really knew while the more silent engineers were working in the back.

It's just sad to see the main faces go, I bet they all will find a great job after this ;) And I hope they will remain in our community.

PS: Adams tweet was pretty positive so I think he party choose this himself, to go and work on another project. Garat and Adam were very silent lately anyway.
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Farewell @garat . You did a swell job cleaning up the SMNC forum during the end of its life, and were one of the few posters that made the unrelated board pleasant, even if it was just work related business for you.

It's weird to say, but I'm legitimately saddened knowing I may never hear from ya again. Best of luck transitioning to a new job, and with life in general.
    Remy561, Raevn, optimi and 1 other person like this.
  20. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Hey all - well, wasn't really expecting to talk about this quite yet but its done now. :) It's tumultuous enough for all involved, both those hit by it, and the survivors, I prefer to wait a bit to talk to folks, but yes. I sadly am leaving the company. Bob, Jon, Scathis, and all those still there, as well as the crew let go, are still good friends, and some of my "family I've chosen", so even if we're at different places for now, we all stay in touch.

I've spent some time this week trying to hand off as much knowledge to Jables and others as possible - thankfully it was a process we had already started, as having so much project operational knowledge live with one person is just a bad idea. Never know when I might get hit by a bus. (Though, fingers crossed that I never am)

I'll miss talking and joking with you all day to day, but I'll still lurk and you'll see me around. I love what we've done with PA so far, and there are still amazing things yet to be done with it. The crew left will make it happen, I have every confidence in them. And because of what it is, I fully expect to see Amazing **** (tm) continue to be done by the community as well.

Much love to you all, and keep the faith, and keep playing PA! I'll be around more once I've had a little time to decompress. :)
    shootall, Corang, doud and 58 others like this.