Uber; as someone who doesn't pay attention....

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Tormidal, July 13, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

What's wrong with buying extra content if you want it?
    squishypon3 likes this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

No, it's labeled everywhere that it'll be DRM free in the end.

People have been okay with that for almost a decade!
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

[​IMG]

The fans get more content for the game they love and the developers get more money. Who's losing here?
  4. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

It was labeled that the model was unique. It was also labeled that the custom commander reward was only for the backer who backed enough. Checked the ingame store?

Also, they can twist the DRM notion even more to fit their "vision". They already did it.
    drewsuser likes this.
  5. thepilot

You mean content that was meant to be in the released game in the first place?

What is wrong with that... hmmm....

And no, people are NOT okay with this for a decade.

No, they get the content that was meant to be in the first place, for more money

Who is losing? You, the customer.
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

To be fair this was labeled on the kickstarter, the DRM free bit was labeled within the actual steam store.

"Meant to be in the game in the first place"

Who's to say? If that's true, games would never be finished. You're just asking us to be selfish now.
    igncom1 likes this.
  7. Geers

Yeah, the content that was developed well after the release is meant to be there in the first place. Not all DLC is day-one DLC. Not all DLC is made by EA.

gtf50, BulletMagnet and squishypon3 like this.
  8. thepilot

I'm talking of stretchgoals on the kickstater.

It's meant to be on release. Uber said it.

Well, they've said later it won't be, but they never do that, right? It will be DRM free for sure!
  9. Geers

They said the kickstarter goals that weren't reached would be available on release?
  10. thepilot

They've said the progenitor model will be unique.

I really don't care anymore what Uber is saying or had said. I care about what they are doing, and it's not good for us as consumers.

And yes, I'm quite sure they promise all that to be on the initial release at some point.
  11. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, stretch goals are not covered by Kickstarter terms explicitly - the base goal has to be fulfilled, everything else is at the discretion of the project owner. Might be interesting to see a precedent crop up at some point. Stretch goal DLC, anyone?
  12. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

All Kickstarter's stretched goals have been reached, so Uber should release a complete game at v 1.0.

Unfortunately we already know that isn't gonna happen. I said that months ago, that's already breaking promises. Quite fundamental ones, in fact.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

That would be very disappointing.
    cmdandy likes this.
  14. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Actually, as I have hinted at before, they could remove the online-requirement right now, release the server code, call it a day and they would be golden. Well, legally, that is.

edit:
    Just to make this perfectly clear: I am confident that Uber will make good on their Kickstarter promises. I do not think they will do so with the fabled 1.0 release, though, or before the end of this year. Whichever comes first.
  15. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

And off it went. The conspiracies start anew. It's saddening no matter what Uber has tried they just can't get away from it. This is a scary pattern. . .
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

That's what concerns/upsets me the most about all that's going on. I love Uber. I love PA. But this is concerning.

It's gonna be real interesting to see how Uber responds to the "unique model" argument.
  17. DeadStretch

Sadly, this pattern is not unique to PA.
  18. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

There is no conspiracy, or conspiracy theories.

Man, you gotta accept that people may have questions. If Uber would also address those questions, there would be much less of a noise around those topics.

You can always ignore threads or posts that you do not feel excited about. Complaining about others' opinions just raises the noise and makes difficult for everyone to follow the thread.
    vyolin likes this.
  19. DeadStretch

20. gtf50

gtf50 Member

The argument against DLC as a principle is a bit of a drawn out philosophical debate. The general idea as I see it is that all forms of DLC (free DLC doesn't count, that's just a patch renamed for marketing's sake) that do not function as full expansion packs (or rather, what expansion packs would be prior to the advent of DLC) ultimately reduce the value of the game (most DLC useables, weapons, etc. are downright terrible for gameplay, day one DLC or not), or at best do not add to the game (cosmetic items, for instance).

I don't think that is necessarily the case (certain cosmetic items can be nice, particularly in multiplayer RPGs, IMO), but the argument is real, the argument is rational, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find solid counterexamples.

That said, props to you for bringing out Jimquisition (thank God for him) and his no-nonsense approach to things.