Uber; as someone who doesn't pay attention....

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Tormidal, July 13, 2014.

1. overwatch141

overwatch141 Active Member

You rob a bank and give the money to charity. Will you go to jail? Yes.

They are pleasing the people who want the progenitor, but they are doing the opposite with the people who got the project off the ground-the KS backers.
    gtf50, drewsuser and janusbifrons like this.
  2. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Your bank robbing scenario has no relevance.

And im a KS backer. And im not displeased. So, don't claim that all of us are unhappy with it.

Nobody should be spending $90 just for a commander. Anyone that does, well....they either have too much money in the first place, or needs help.
  3. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

They didn't do it for the commander, but the commander effectively cost 90$ for them. Also, it's about Uber going back on what they have (now on multiple occasions) promised not to do, namely:

I would prefer to support a company that is able to keep promises.
  4. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

In the long run, does it really matter? They already have your money. They're still going to make the game.
    How terrible of them.

[​IMG]
    drschuess likes this.
  5. emraldis

In the long run not much matters, well, not anymore at any rate, since exclusive is no longer exclusive.
    gtf50 and janusbifrons like this.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Actually, yeah, the long run it really kind of does matter, maybe not in regards to PA itself, but to Uber as a company it sure could.

Mike
    Last edited: July 13, 2014
    brianpurkiss, lokiCML, gtf50 and 4 others like this.
  7. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

Well, the progenitor is still exclusive. The Able is not. Uber kept their promise, and the Delta and Progenitor haven't been sold in the armory.

So, y u mad tho?

There's really no reason to be upset over it.
  8. emraldis

No, they didn't keep their promise, their promise was that no one else would get the model. The able commander, quite clearly uses the same model. If the able comm was in court for copyright infringement, it would lose.
  9. KNight

I never said it was, I said that it does matter because you insinuated that they have everything they need to finish PA, and I agree with you that PA at this point has too much momentum to stop from something like this, but on the other hand when Uber's next big project comes about the people that were soured by Uber's practices are going to remember, and while it might not be a significant effect, it will have an effect.

Mike
    lokiCML and gtf50 like this.
  10. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

A minor effect, at the most.
  11. KNight

That depends, if stuff like this keeps happening the future effect will be larger.

And word of mouth really is quite powerful as well and shouldn't be dismissed.

Mike
    brianpurkiss, lokiCML, gtf50 and 3 others like this.
  12. overwatch141

overwatch141 Active Member

To explain the bank robbing scenario:
    They made an exclusive commander purchasable for everyone and got money and then gave that money to charity. The fact they gave the money to charity doesn't mean it's ok.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Though they didn't give that exact commander away, they gave a separate one, it has a different texture map, and separate name, players will be able to tell the difference. It IS a different commander.

They did however reuse the model, which they technically said they wouldn't do in the KS.

Just so you know I bought the game for 90 originally and 200 afterwards for the commanders alone, so I understand how it feels. Though the commander lost no real value as it is still a separate commander for only a certain group of players. I just hope nothing happens with the Alpha, he's my favorite. ;)
    drewsuser likes this.
  14. KNight

Well if you follow the pattern he's next. And seeing as how nothing has changed going from the Delta to the Progenitor, expect whatever happens to the Alpha to just as poorly handled.

Mike
  15. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

That is beyond negative thinking.
    I'll say it again, Invictus was created because Uber realized they fucked up when advertising the game using Delta's old model.
    gtf50 and squishypon3 like this.
  16. KNight

I'm well aware of what the situation is with the Delta/Invictus but in the end, just like with the Able Commander, it was very poorly handled and so far we're 2 for 2 in regards to situations like this.

Honestly these situations show that fixing a problem or taking up a good cause is still something that can be easily ham-stringed by poor execution.

Mike
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yeah, he was used for marketing so a lot of people were annoyed they didn't get him, I can understand that. The Able was done with good intentions at least. Hopefully now they'll realize *our* definition of exclusive.
    cptconundrum, gtf50 and igncom1 like this.
  18. KNight

That's not really the problem, or rather, it was only a small problem until Uber decided that using a barely different version of the Delta as the "Exclusive" Delta was a good idea and didn't bother to even mention it until we found out about it ourselves, just like with the Able Commander.

Mike
  19. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

We judge ourselves by our intentions, others by their actions.
  20. darac

darac Active Member

As a gamer and a game developer myself, I really don't understand why people want things to be exclusive. Does it really effect you and your quality of life if someone else has what you have? I don't know if you've forgotten already but Uber have been delivering on a tonne of promises they made in the kick starter and they've done a far better job at it than almost any other kick starter I've seen or been a part of. Bravo Uber! I don't care if all my exclusive content is sold to others at a later date. It doesn't bother me one bit.

Keep up the good work.
    carlorizzante and Fr33Lancer like this.