-=Turn off Planet Rendering setting suggestion=-

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nuketf, May 14, 2014.

?

should Uber add this?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I have a fairly budget computer and have more than 4GB RAM. If you're having issues running a large-scale 2013-14 RTS, you might want to consider upgrading instead of demanding the game runs on toast. Not even toasters. Toast.
  2. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

need something to be able to do that-money watch i have none and I'm not demanding it is a SUGGESTION that would help with a lot of low-end players
  3. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Actually, it would be worth their time.

The wider you make the window in which your game can be played an enjoyed, the more possible users it can reach out to.

SC2 and WoW have a pretty useful low graphic setting for those computers that are just a bit out of date.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  4. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

you see my point!
  5. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Blizzard has an infinite billion moneys though. An indie studio can't take the same sort of time and effort to do heavy optimisation. If it was so easy and cheap, EVERY game would be perfectly optimised for every possible build
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

They've talked about the possibility of a really minimal client, so it's at least something they've thought about.
    burntcustard likes this.
  7. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Every combination of graphics options has to be checked to make sure it works on a ludicrous variety of hardware and software configurations, so although it might be easy to put that option in, it might not be easy to check that it works on everyone's PCs properly.

There have to be limits drawn on what you're developing software for, and because of Ubers relatively limited team and budget, I'd like that line to be drawn around systems that are made for what PA is, a video game. Of course it would be good if the game was as optimised as possible, but I don't need to play it on my phone or the sat-nav in my mums car or on an arduino connected to 8 LEDs. Those systems aren't designed to play RTS games, so it doesn't matter.

Most people who have less than 4GB of RAM won't be playing an RTS on that system, especially when the game officially comes out towards the end of the year.

I think I might be over analysing the situation lol.
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    cptconundrum likes this.
  8. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

the only lag i get from PA is the planet rendering after that no lag at all until theirs like ya know 5K+ units on the battlefield :p question...are we really auguring over "turn off planet texture rendering in settings" suggestion?

EDIT:that is why we have turn off planet rendering so people with less then 4GB can play
  9. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

We are throwing around vague facts about time and money required to make a game playable for all audiences. I get it. I get that it takes time and money to optimize a game. I was just saying its worth Uber's time if they invest into it. If they have other stuff to focus on, they can focus on other stuff.

I'm sure when the game is released, we will have mods that can make the game a simpler format.. Similar to multiwinia and darwina.
  10. burntcustard

Hehe I consider lag as more like: "WHAT? I dropped a frame?!? That's means I only got 59 that second! Unnaceptable! Which I guess is a bit different.

I like to think of this more as heated discussion rather than an argument :)

Also I remember upgrading from 2GB to 4GB of RAM for SupCom and Crysis, 5 years ago. I also remember the Nvidia 8800GTS I had that was the size of a suitcase but was terrible >.>

Edit: Oh I liked Multiwinia, was good game.
  11. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

you get mad at times with lag when 20 minest go by rendering a smal earth planet and find your commander surrounded by T2 tanks and i can play Supcom 1 fine with 2gb of ram :p
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Hehe, reminds me of when I first got Minecraft for one of my older computers. Seeing the famous people playing it, complaining about their game dropping to 50fps while I trudged around with 25 - 30 fps... Now I get around 30fps in PA for the majority of the time; it drops down to around 10 - 15 very late game, though it's not to much of a problem: it really does it randomly; it'll be playing smoothly then drop in fps then smooth once more and such.
  13. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

same it just..Planet rendering...
  14. burntcustard

At launch SupCom had some memory issues. Actually it had a lot of optimisation issues. I was pretty much limited to the 5x5 and 10x10km maps at launch if I recall correctly. To me it seems like PA is already doing a better job in this department, i.e. better FPS and larger scale battles with an "average" PC (5 years ago was a long time in terms of average PC horsepower).

It would be cool to know (or be reminded) what the specs are of the low-end PC/s in Uber's office that they're trying to get the game to run on. I'd be guessing its something like an i3 with HD4000 and 4GB of RAM

EDIT: One more thing, that's not worth writing a new post for, minimum requirements on Steam say 4GB RAM, and.. wait, what, these system requirements literally make no sense. Might need to mention that to Uber.
  15. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

could this suggestion be done in a mod befor PA is finshed?
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

What you just stated as their "low" is literally the exact specs I have. i3 2.3Ghz quad core, HD4000 graphics and 4 gigs of RAM; I can run the game very smoothly actually as long as I put some constraints on myself. Yes, no crazy 7 planet systems (As if I'd play those anyway, they take so long to go through and are quite boring.) But yes, I can actually run the game quite well! Even better than people with better specs than I. (Which leads me to believe this could be their lowest and they're working very hard on optimizing it, which I appreciate greatly.)
  17. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

since people seem they they do not want this could a mod do this? (turn off rendering)