Trying Something New: Reddit Q&A for May 17th Livestream

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, May 10, 2013.

1. rakasob

rakasob New Member

Q&A on Reddit is a good idea.

Because that is where dumb people go to act smart. :lol:
  2. veta

veta Active Member

Yeah reddit Q&A is pretty smart, hope it works out
  3. pupbrad

pupbrad New Member

I agree, the Reddit idea is a good one.

As for chat in twitch itself having a more structured Q&A, my experiences with various IRC chats for events is that if you make an IRC chat channel seperate from the Twitch chat, only those who are serious would connect up to it. I've watched events in which tens of thousands of people were watching on twitch and the IRC channel specificly for the event had maybe 100 or so people, all of which were VERY civilized and didnt spam like people did in Twitch.

The IRC client would also give much more control over the chat than a chat bot on twitch would ever be able to do.

In terms of the chat bots for twitch, i've seen quite a bit of use of nightbot and moobot through my experiences on Twitch. They take some effort to set up, but would allow for a much easier selection of the questions. You could automatically remove links, set it up to make a periodic message stating things that you normally do a lot on the stream itself, such as that the game is still in pre-alpha and reminding people what types of questions are welcomed in the chat, you could have it set up to automatically post links to the store to buy Planetary Ahniliation and/or the forums and the reddit question page, and much more including raffle drawings for people to ask questions if things get out of hand.

As for the IRC chat, you could issue special flags to everyone who was a backer by having them sign up through a certain link for the IRC chat, then enable the IRC chat to only be available to those with the special flag to limit spam. I myself do not know how to do this, but I've seen it done before when and IRC chat does get flooded.
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

No no. I am talking about them, Uber, using an IRC to connect to and view the chat on their channel. It's not a separate chat just a program they use to help them notice things and read the chat easier. We would all still be in the same chat which is their Twitch chat.
  5. pupbrad

pupbrad New Member

ah, ok, then I misread that
  6. Nacimota

Nacimota New Member

Concerning the argument that not everyone uses reddit, I think this is kind of silly for two reasons. The first is that the same could be said about the forums etc. (I personally know several backers who don't frequent the forums); and secondly, it is stupidly quick and easy to make a reddit account. Provide a username and a password, fill out the CAPTCHA and you're done. No email verification or anything like that is required. I think not having a reddit account is a poor excuse not to use reddit.

It seems like the devs (Mavor in particular) have been getting somewhat irritated with some of the questions that have been asked in the last couple of live streams and I think reddit is a great way to approach that problem for the same reasons garat mentions (voting system etc.).

On a personal note, I'm a much more frequent redditor than I am an Uber Forums user. There's a lot of stuff I visit reddit for and having PA in the same place is very convenient. I'm not at all saying the forums shouldn't be used, but I'd love to see more stuff posted to reddit now and again.
  7. thepastmaster

thepastmaster Active Member

I'm fine with Reddit but I don't like it because I can't figure out how to NAVIGATE that damned site. It's just a chaotic jumbled mess with no tangible structure.
  8. syox

syox Member

Well i really hate tree structured type Forums or whatever it is :D. It hurts my mind. So i am out too.
  9. macbhaird

macbhaird New Member

Reddit: Meh
  10. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Doesn't need a Q and A beyond twitch. We have the forums, and it's easier to use than reddit. Also, you made it quite clear in the last live-stream that by the end of May, alpha will be most likely complete. Since we are nearly halfway through my, it is most likely the release date reveal, which also explains the secretive behavior.
  11. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

This is objectively incorrect. :) Twitch Q&A is so hard to read and so spamtastic that it is not long term viable. I have some other tools I'll be using this time to try and make twitch chat more usable as well, but this came up because the Q&A was.. not ideal.

Anyway, we'll try a couple different things from show to show, and we'll find something that works well.
  12. veta

veta Active Member

Reddit is great, once you become familiar with the UI it's hard to imagine it any other way.
    Especially when combined with Reddit Enhancement Suite.
  13. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

And reddit is less spamtastic? I can't figure out how to navigate any of it. The forums are a great place for unanswered questions.
  14. crseth

crseth Member

I love reddit and the reddit Q&A. Great idea in my book
  15. Nacimota

Nacimota New Member

What's to figure out? It's a threaded layout; comments on the far left are replies to the original post and indented comments are replies to the comments above them. Comments are sorted from top to bottom based on their score.

It's actually far more structured and organized than the forums and certainly more so than a live chat channel like what is on Twitch.
  16. mkultr4

mkultr4 Member

Wow, people are actually complaining about this?

Seriously? If you can't figure out how to navigate reddit...

It's an excellent idea and will result in better, more worth while questions.
  17. superroach

superroach Member

I recommend that you use the following link in the future to show when the stream is.

http://timeanddate.com/countdown/generi ... n%20twitch!

It will look like this:
    [​IMG]

Now, about the link....
    It will show the users time relative to your time in seattle. This means you can give a date, and me in Aussie land can know straight away I should probably sleep and wake up after the stream - it converts the time remaining to where you are viewing it from.

The bit to change for future streams:
    Code:
    http://timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=234&iso=20130517T13&msg=Uber%20Stream%20on%20twitch!
    The 20130517T13 in the string above is what you change for future casts, which is year (YYYY), month (MM), Day (DD), T is hours, 13 = 1pm, 1730 = 5:30pm. You can take that link and use it tweaking the bold bit each time. Should make sense for you :).
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  18. Spinewire

Spinewire Member

Further more you don't have to be on at the same time as the devs to ask questions...

I'll be in work at that time tonight so I wont get to watch it live and see Mavor do his best not to tip the table over in rage due to the retarded questions being asked. Which hopefully will be avoided this time round anyway.

How long after it is completed will it be able to be rewatched as I will probably get home when it finishes :(

Does twitch TV just save it or will I have to wait for someone to upload it to youtube?
  19. antillie

antillie Member

Hm, maybe I should see what this "Reddit" thing is.
  20. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni