[Tournament] Official PACE League - Commander of March - 15th March

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Martenus, March 5, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

1700 is a worse starting time than 1800 for me, and the UK seemed to be quite a large contingent last time. I need some time to get in my last meal of the day, damnit! :p
  2. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

I accounted for a 4 hour tourney. It would mean that tourney ends at middnight in London and it ends 5pm Seattle time...I don't see how a middnight on a saturday night is really that bad...
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

The tourney will take the guts of 6 hours if all runs smoothly. Much too long for an old fart like me.
  4. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

the thing is alot of europe is GMT+1 and +2. so that means were talking 2am or later ending time for a good section
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Every time I play against / watch someone playing against the AI, I just call it "Sorian". I feel like Mike is the puppetmaster, pulling the strings.

Not having actively followed RTS development before PA, I see the AI in a completely different light here.

So it's sort of a joke, but also sort of not a joke.
  6. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I'll have to miss tourneys until preloading is fixed and looking at what's happening in the patch notes, I think uber probably won't have this ready in time for the tourney. They are doing a good job, fixing everything, but since game breaking bugs have priority and preloading rework looks like a lot of work I don't expect this for another 2 weeks.
  7. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

This time all my nukes will hit :D
  8. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

I guess we can try this, why not. We can let enter one normal AI and one hard AI to see how they perform.

The times are accounting with the daylight saving.

I was trying to reach you on TS for almost three days now. So just get on! I am there all day.

I will check into that. You must understand that the times will pretty much be aimed to suit best for Europe and America, which are two major participants in the tournament.

Exactly what Gandalf said here.
    Last tournament stats:
    • 10% australia
    • 30% america
    • 60% europe
    The times simply has to reflect this fact.
  9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

On a point of information: remember that the times of the last tournament will have affected that number significantly!
    stuart98 and Quitch like this.
  10. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Damn, I was so close but still so far.
  11. Quitch

A Hard AI shouldn't participate because that's effectively a competitor with hax. It should be subject to the same rules as everyone else.
    stuart98 and cptconundrum like this.
  12. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

really? it cheats??? hmm then how is it so easy to beat still... :/
  13. Clopse

Pretty sure sorian has mentioned it doesn't cheat and sees only what is scouted.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  14. Quitch

Hard cheats through additional income.

No neural net
    No strategic goals
    No micro
    Can't use every unit yet
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. Martenus

It is because of this wierd daylight saving zones. America and Australia already changes their times and Europe doesn't. We have to deal with that. I hope you can make it!

Well it lasts about 6 hours. The schedule should fit nicely. It might be possible to make the tournament one hour later, but definatelly not two.

It will be relaxing. You have to come! I bet you can win many matches in less than 15 minutes, that would basically bring you to 20 minute breaks between the rounds.

At the moment we are talking about changing the schedule a bit and number of rounds. So stay tuned for more info.
  16. Quitch

I'll do what I did last time, a large and late lunch.

What he means clopse is we know you'll fold like a house of cards, so you won't need to be in any game for long :p
  17. Clopse

Haha that's true. I have horrible stamina so Swiss style doesn't suit me. I usually only have a few good games in me then I lose interest. Especially if I know I can't win. Understand how it suits some players more and that's great. I'll be happy to watch a couple of games and maybe train with the lads beforehand.
  18. Martenus

After a meeting with the PACE Director this tournament will get rescheduled and remade a bit. Stay tuned for more information.

What I can say now is:
    • Rounds will be longer
    • Breaks will be longer
    • There will be less rounds
    • Overal time is gonna be much shorter
    • We are gonna start later to accomodate our australian koala bears
  19. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I wouldn't mind splitting tournaments up into two days instead of just one.
  20. Clopse

Could be cool, to split into 2 groups at different times (like 12 hours) and have the winner of both groups do a best of 3 the following day or week or something.