TotalBiscuit on PA: Titans

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by Geers, August 23, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well, I know I've been dismissive of you on occasion and for that I apologize.

Irrespective of Uber's thoughts on anyone (I would say I think Jables and the 'new' team are perhaps a bit more approachable than the directors were- probably because they're a little less personally invested in things), I think Titans does change quite a lot. It's certainly worth discussing.

The other thing I think you may not be that aware of is the massive amount of additional mod hooks Uber have added into the engine (no doubt in part due to the additions to Titans for the tutorial and such), the point is though they have been trying to help modders such as @cola_colin with some quite complicated mods (e.g. the Uber Map). The work on Titans appears to have opened up negotiations on mod tools again which is nice to see.
    Nicb1, temeter and stuart98 like this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The funny part is I am not aware of any usage of the puppets API for example in the tutorial. The new stuff is there and so far it is only there because we asked for it. APIs that were made completely for us.
    cwarner7264, cdrkf and Remy561 like this.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

what do you mean?

PA is incredibly similar to Starcraft in terms of gameplay speed. also TB was very very hyped for PA he did an interview with Jon Mavor and Steve thompson

he really does like the type of game PA is going for actually

he liked SupCom as well
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

he didn't like the idea of early access though I think.
  5. tatsujb

yes he was pissed about it and he was pretty much pissed with how PA was on release.

he said he'd never back a game ever again. And i'm hoping he'll change his mind about that because that is just a shame.
  6. Elate

Elate Active Member

While I'm eager to hear his opinion on the matter, TBs views are often very polarized. There's a reason people either love him or hate him, and depending on what he says on the matter, it could just make things worse.
  7. tatsujb

as people have said he is rather of the unbiased sort. I'm very eager to hear his opinion.
    badfucatus likes this.
  8. Elate

Elate Active Member

He also places quite a value on customers and not being screwed by developers, hell he called out Yogscast on their whole Kickstarter mess and destroyed that professional relationship over it.

However... However, however, however.. I don't agree that he isn't bias. He's already shown he has a bais towards the kickstarter, and his feelings to it being released on EA may influence his opinion on this whole matter. We can but speculate though, he might not even do a video or cover it at all.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Thank you for that, I really appreciate it. I know I'm not always at my best either but so long as we try! xD

Again, we'll see, it seems like not a day goes by I don't pick up some new project I want to do or something and there is only so much time in the day! xD Just earlier today a friend came to me to vent that a group they're trying to work with to overhaul a ruleset for giant robot fights using model kits of Reddit is in way over their head because for all their knowledge of how the old ruleset played and having played other games in a similar vein they completely lack any experience when it comes to designing a game from the ground up! xD Naturally, me being me the gears started churning immediately and now I've already got a Google Doc full of concepts to further explore.......on top of the like, three other game-related projects I have Google Docs for in varying stages of concept/realizing/prototyping! xD

Not to mention that these types of posts also take me a loooong time to get out. It's partially because there is a lot to cover but also simply because writing long form stuff is not my forte(AKA I'm bad at it) and I can spend hours trying to get things out in as understandable a fashion as possible.

The difference with TB comapred to more "mainstream" stuff though is that I feel he's done a very good job at not only accepting his biases, but also making sure they're out in the open and not hidden in any way. In short, just as he places value on customers when dealing with games he also places a great deal of value on his viewers and does as much as possible for them.

*shrug* like I said, I've not had any issues with TB since I started following him so I guess you could say that's my bias! xD

Mike
    radongog, cdrkf, temeter and 2 others like this.
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Everybody loves KNight.

Or at least respects him.

Or you better.

Cuz you're going through me otherwise. BRO.
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. Elate

Elate Active Member

U wanna fite m8?
    Ill 'av ya
    sware on me mum.
    wilhelmvx and tatsujb like this.
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

if we have to talk about how pa should have been showcasing it with mods than i can assure you neither rcbm nor GA were realy what i personaly would have liked for it ... imo however uber did very well with titans which if i had to descripe is pretty much "fanservice" ... and it's pretty clear that it was inspired by community feedback and wishes as well as some parts of mods ...
    i dare say titans IS the communities involvement in simply adding more fun to the game ... even if there are partial things i personaly may disagree with i think titans GREATLY improves PA ...
    Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.
  13. Iglocska

Iglocska New Member

Yeah, StarCraft 2 players are terrible at games like PA. Like that TLO guy.
    wilhelmvx and cola_colin like this.
  14. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Both Yaegz and Matiz are ex-SC2 grandmasters.
    radongog, pieman2906 and elodea like this.
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

tlo is heavily into SC2 and he was quite big in supcom with his brother ..
    i don't think he would have trouble with pa either ....
    Iglocska likes this.
  16. Iglocska

Iglocska New Member

Indeed. I was laddering pretty heavily in SC and SC:FA and I remember always seeing TBO, TLO, Winter, Pink as the top 4. I'd say he would do pretty ok in PA :)
  17. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Pretty much what i'd expect of the guy. TB might have strong opinions, that cause some heat, but he does a remarkable job at attempting to be reasonable.
    radongog, MrTBSC, stuart98 and 2 others like this.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I think it's more a problem of what Early Access is and has become rather than the idea of it.
    stuart98 and mered4 like this.
  19. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

TB panders to his crowd far more than I'd like him to. His reviews are a safe bet because he sides with people to get them to back him up.

If he were to cover TITANS, I'd fully expect him to pick up on the launch pricing issues, simply because that would get him new followers.

Beyond that I won't comment on him, because I disagree with him on a number of levels as a person. If he does cover PA, it will be good attention for the developers. I'm just not sure the negative feedback from any criticism will be worth the effort in countering, because his fans tend to take his opinions are more factual than they are.
    squishypon3 and Quitch like this.
  20. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

You really don't follow his stuff, do you? TB constantly gets into arguments because he doesn't pander.

Really, if his fans are following him for having similar ideas, then it's more because he didn't change his own publically, not because he did.
    hiver and stuart98 like this.