This just in: This forum SUCKS now. (TL; DR)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Undercover_Thudercat, March 6, 2011.

1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Erm, what would that be good for? And more importantly, what would be different to the 'normal' forums?
  2. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

It'll give the Forum Heroes a place to kick each-other around, will stop newer posters from getting bent out of shape by their wacky hijinks, and will encourage the development of a core group of players. Y'know, the ones that have currently moved to a different forum.

Nothing would be different, it'd be similar to the "Moderator" section.
  3. Col_Jessep

Interesting idea. Hard to say how it would turn out or how much work it would be to implement it. It would kinda split the forum community though. On the other hand it would be a good way to blow off some steam too. I'm undecided but I'll bring it up in the mod forum.
  4. sensitivepsycho

I use the "New Post" function to browse the forums, which is why I seem to end up in PC-related topics so often. So I'd still be a beautiful ray of sunshine on other sections of the boards.

Because it'd be a non-public section, people could mess around a lot more with no consequences.
  5. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

i like it
  6. Col_Jessep

Posted it in the mod corner. I'm still not convinced that it is a good idea though. I think an independent fan forum would be better. There you can set up your own rules and do whatever you want. While the rules in a veteran corner might be more lax we can't ignore them completely.
  7. Undercover_Thudercat

Undercover_Thudercat New Member

LOL, I was actually referring to the fact that cats themselves are the longest-standing internet meme to date (or at least one of them). Making funny pics with cats actually was a meme before even lolcats was around.

But touche on the call out :p
  8. Undercover_Thudercat

Nah, I've seen that tried before. Trust me, it never works. The moment any reward is given out or emphasis is put on post count, people start caring about post count. And trust me, the last thing you EVER want on a forum is for people to start caring about their post counts.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.
  9. sensitivepsycho

A separate fansite would split the community far more than a separate board on the same forum. Also, a certain association of sonic shock-wave raptors are ahead of the curve on this one.

EDIT: Maybe it'd work based on nominations by mods or long-term users?
  10. Saint Mudknot

Saint Mudknot New Member

You all sound like a bunch of nagging old ladys.

So if you want to enjoy an area of the forums join along the most relaxing atmosphere here

The Art and Fiction Forum

Got writing talent? Bring It
    Art Skills? We want to see it!

Crying? There is no room for crying unless frozen into a picture for us to see!

On Topic: The only are of the forum dieing is 360, Some mods may be less good than others (Col. Jessep you rock :p And is a contributing member to the greatest forum area on UBER), however instead of attacks writing them helpful messages in a appropriate manner would be good than jumping into a thread. This sounds more like an attack at Organous. I will not say what i think of any mod individually if its negative, however sometimes when new mods are appointed it seems like a vote for your favorite mod level person would of been nice. They all just showed up over night and caused a shock to many people here lol
  11. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

Post annoyed me, mods, and devs. Multiple "post" Memes in quote trees on the same page contributes NOTHING to a thread and makes it more difficult for all of us to moderate.

As for the other stuff, that's a judgement call I disagree with, but here is the problem:

You guys wanted organous removed as a mod. You went about it by TROLLING the forums. You did not petition, you did not approach the devs privately. You collectively chose to behave like children and be witty in public while Doing so. How many of you got together and respectfully approached uber about this issue?

And to those of you who say you did do this...how long have you waited before taking other action? Answer: not long enough before your ego got the better of you.

I don't care HOW legitimate your claims can be (and believe me, they do have some merit), uber is significantly less likely to listen to you when you go about group trolling a forum. You can be 100% correct in terms of your arguments but still fail because you presented yourself like a jackass. If uber has to choose between disciplining 1 over active mod or losing 15 or so troublemakers from the 360 forums (regardless of their skill level in the game or contributions to the community), who do you think they will side with?
  12. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

Not to say snarff was the jackass I'm referring to, "you" is just easier to type on a phone.
  13. Undercover_Thudercat

I understand. I was not present during the troll-a-thon, and your point has merit as well.

We can pitter patter over what the cause is and what the effect is, but we're both coming to the same conclusion, just drawn up for our own sake:

Im Hudson: Don't troll us and and expect positive results. Don't jump the gun and assume we're not listening to you.

Majority of the Community: Fix our problems. Most of these problems (excluding Organous) have been addressed more and more as time has progressed (because they are getting worse). If we grow to stop liking this place, we're going to grow to stop caring.
  14. Randomdude02

Randomdude02 Member

I must have missed a lot of them. I usually only saw them in "bound to be locked" threads. In that context, I have trouble seeing why it'd bug you. Though, not being a moderator, I can't exactly say I know how it makes it more difficult. Multiple reports, perhaps?

Alright. A lot of truth here. My only issues with this are:
    I mentioned this earlier, but why hide such a discussion? True, you're more likely to get a dev response through direct contact. But say you did both (PM Dev, and make thread). As long as it was a discussion, instead of a witch hunt (Coined by Jessep), why not allow threads on the subject? All that does is create a sense of resentment by forcing people to skirt around the edges and whisper in the shadows. That's probably a deciding factor in why some people acted the way they did. Saying you don't agree with a decision of a mod is no different than saying you don't agree with an element of the game. They're both decisions made by those in charge, and one they made with their best judgment. Saying you have a different viewpoint, and having it supported by yourself and others, changed the game for the better (balance patches). The same thing applies here, except those who were overly hostile put everyone on a hair trigger. Well, the mod issue anyway. The devs have said they have "thick skin" about their games. For a good reason though.

Similar to not going "Scathis is a tard for giving the Assault a bomb" as opposed to "I really think the Assault having a bomb is stupid. I'm not sure what Scathis was thinking." being compared to "OMFG ORGANOUS NO MOD NO MORE NAO!" instead of "That's a really dumb move he did. Anyone else agree?"

Same message. Basic etiquette. Say it nicely, but you don't need to hide your opinion.

I would hope the troublemakers who had made notable contributions. Not all 15, but take note of the ones who suddenly decided to go insane and just make everything difficult. Unless there's a bug going around, such a sudden, and confusing change would indicate something's amiss.

I may be a bit slow here..... but what are some of the problems? I actually don't know. Like, no sarcasm here. :?:
  15. Undercover_Thudercat

What are the problems? Over moderation - rules are just too strict and held too tightly.
  16. Randomdude02

Randomdude02 Member

As far as I can tell, that's the only problem right now. Granted, there was a backlash from some users, and it's completely arguable from either side, but what else is there?

People are still nice. Still funny. Still (relatively) nice to new users. Still putting up guides/strategies.

While it's (seemingly) a long ways away from "dying", the community wouldn't be able to take the current situation for too long.

At the moment though, everything else seems fine.

Again, that's just met, though.
  17. PlumbumTheEpic

PlumbumTheEpic New Member

I agree with you that the forum has gone to hell. I however, blame the users, not the mods.
  18. Organous

Organous Member

I'm coming to terms with the overmoderation thing. I'm a strict person by nature. I recently had that blow up in my face when I made an overly strict call in a Magic game I judged. I tried to fight it off initially, and then the big reaction to what I have since admitted to be a bad judgment call just brought out the iron fist again. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see what happens when the bans run out, but I don't think you'll have to worry so much about me nitpicking over every little thing anymore.
  19. Randomdude02

Randomdude02 Member

I offer a brofist.

Yeah. Bad calls all around, mods and members alike. So how about we:

Attached Files:

20. Col_Jessep

One lolcat dates back to the early 1900s and who knows what might be in some old photo albums. The truth is: the internet is just a cat meme! Anyway, it's time for your blue pill now...
    Well, it always is. Remember when Hudson and I were appointed? There was lots of excitement too. All I'm asking for is that you give the new mods a chance to get used to their job. And what Hudson said. Like a hundred times.

We are absolutely willing to discuss your concerns and make improvements when possible. It has to be constructive though. I honestly believe it is not wise to discuss an important topic like this when everybody is excited, crying wolf and pointing fingers. It will be much easier to find solutions now that things have calmed down a little.

I think we already achieved more in this thread than during the whole last week. Fist bumps all around! :D