This alpha access at premium on Steam is hurting you

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sandrothemaster, June 14, 2013.

1. antillie

antillie Member

There is no such thing as bad publicity. The butthurt Steam idiots who don't understand why the prices are what they are can suck it.
  2. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

It's quite amusing reading through the Steam forum, actually. I use Steam myself, by the way.
  3. kuramabingyi

kuramabingyi New Member

The general attitude of this community worries me.
  4. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

How come?
  5. kuramabingyi

kuramabingyi New Member

I was one of the Steam users who were livid at the insanely high price and took to the forums to vent my frustrations, until it was confirmed that the price set was for the Galactic Edition -- then I jumped ship and decided to buy the game outright so I could have access to the Alpha and the Beta.

As a result of this whole fiasco, all I've seen on these forums was an overwhelming entitlement and outright disrespect to Steam users, whenever the discussions were relevant to Steam and the early access.

This worries me. I already get the impression that the majority of people on these forums have an elitist attitude about them that can turn away potential customers in the future, if it keeps up.
  6. kiviar

kiviar New Member

Nobody came out of this situation looking rosy lets leave it at that.
  7. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

With the way a lot of steam users are reacting (because they aren't paying attention like you did), what can you expect? This community is nice, and having people come here specifically to moan about pricing makes it less nice. I'd say it's less elitist, and more annoyance at the fact that the specific steam users who are complaining not only are being completely objective, but not contributing.
  8. veta

veta Active Member

Communities, especially video game communities, can get pretty nasty when antagonized. In hindsight the steam backlash could have been averted, but that doesn't matter anymore. What's important is how Uber responds, they could probably ignore steam and let this blow over, but I think a sincere explanation/response would be helpful. Labeling the Early Access what it actually is would also go a long way - $90 for an Early Access Digital Collector's Edition. Uber originally intended to list both preorder and early access but Valve does not allow preorders on early access. I suspect none of this would have happened if it was allowed.
  9. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

Yea, as an early kickstarterer, seeing all the negative junk pouring out of steam user accounts made me feel like a crows of jerks ran into my family's dinner and flipped the table over demanding better service.

we get defensive when the project we've loved for almost a year is suddenly being flayed for doing nothing wrong
  10. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Perhaps.

But this community has been one of the more friendly, helpful, informative, and, well, mature communities. I woke up approximately 1.5 hours ago to see a dozen threads that amounted to little more than 'I feel entitled to play this game now for the cheapest price possible'.

Meanwhile, a lot of people here dished out 90 - or much more! - months ago, unsure if they had just thrown away their money or not. I haven't paid anything (yet), and I use Steam myself, but I don't see much of a problem with how people here are reacting.

Yes, some could maybe be a bit less rude (but I've barely seen rudeness) - but there are hundreds of posts in dozens of thread saying the exact same thing, with the only refutation being 'they should pay me!' / 'I am entitled to this game now!' / 'too expensive you suck!'.

Two semi-refutations exist as well; the Steam and Kickstarter mindset are wholly different (not a refutation, but a good point), and this is bad publicity for the game (not a refutation, and while I doubt it, who knows).
  11. garibaldi5

garibaldi5 New Member

It will keep up and thats the most enjoyable aspect of this forum. Its so funny i love to read in this forum. Here accumulates every type of player into one forum:

-The friendly one who keeps the community together.
    -The vulnerable/naive one who is really upset from being trolled.
    - The rage one.
    -The troll
    -The arrogant one who thinks he is superior to other players just because he payed
    +X $ as an early packer.

Its like apple pie with cream and a cherry on top of it. :D

The steam users are not the problem but the posts they and others will do on metacritics are.

Especially after games like SimCity 2013 gamers have developed some kind of sensitivity and most of them look at metacritics.

Yes the arrogant attitude of some of the forum posters will scare of customers too.

But i and many others will have a lot of fun in this forum and thats a good thing.

So to all the arrogant ones , keep up the good work you have not disappointed one single time. You always deliver.Especially you antillie.

...Like this one time where you said there is no such thing as bad publicity. :lol:
    Ask microsoft in reguards of xbox one or EA. Man , love your posts. :D
    Last edited: June 14, 2013
  12. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Totally because we just want to play NAAOW!
  13. kiviar

kiviar New Member

You forgot, "The stealth troll who uses the black arts of civility and correct punctuation to mask his or her manipulative machinations".
  14. garibaldi5

garibaldi5 New Member

troll is troll.

Im all of this gamertypes into one person ,except of the naive and rage one, it depends on the mood im in. :p

But i must admit that most player are not only one gamertyp. Every person is kind of multilayerd. You just have to accept it man.

So keep up the good work all and im very curious about the general development of this forum in the future.See y.
  15. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

16. amphok

amphok Member

this is not good at all for the game, marketing is everything
  17. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

No it isn't - it makes a difference yes & for a big privately funded project it makes a big difference. But for a kickerstart project it doesn't matter as much.

The other thing is, this is one of the first (if not the first) big budget kickerstarter game to hit steam. As Neutrino said, the internet gets upset sometimes. We have to go through this pain as gamers learn a new model of paying for a game.
  18. lynx88

lynx88 New Member

So its up to us to make sure all their s***posting and ranting on Metacritic is overwhelmed by positive feedback.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

61 to 67 for the ragers currently. Only a few more until the PA fanboys outnumber the ragers from steam. Metacritic is just a platform for a flamewar in this case it seems.
  20. asgo

asgo Member

hmm I would call it spam filter or natural selection. :)