Things that annoy you in RTS games

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by GreenBag, July 5, 2013.

1. beanspoon

beanspoon Member

Yeah I'm acutely aware that I'm only making myself suffer more by hiding in my room with my rig pumping out heat...BUT DAT GAME
  2. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

My rig is a gaming laptop that for some reason can't handle extreme heat. Definitely time to upgrade to a good PC again....very jealous you can suffer the heat for the joy though. I'm sat in limbo wishing I could
  3. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Try and get a cooling pad first, it's cheaper than buying an entirely new desktop.
  4. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

WTF is a cooling rig? I'm ignorant of the term
  5. mushroomars

It's a liquid-cooled polymer/silicone pad that you put under your laptop while you run a CPU/GPU-intensive program. Look them up on Newegg, it helps a lot with games like this.
  6. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Thanks for that it's really appreciated
  7. mushroomars

I'd recommend a Cooler Master, they are the gods of everything with fans.
  8. beanspoon

beanspoon Member

Yeah this is what I use.
  9. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Never mind that, in the UK an aircon unit is too expensive for how often you'd actually need it. However what I used to do at LAN parties with say eight PCs in the room was take the side off my case and point a desk fan at the motherboard. Never had any problems then.
  10. wintrparkgrl

wintrparkgrl New Member

11. mushroomars

I love you. You receive an Internet for this one word.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

*facepalm.

Micro is only bad when it is done bad.

Even starcraft 2 has done stuff to make it smarter.
  13. mushroomars

Have you used Levelers before lol? Some radar coverage, or maybe a scout overhead, and 5 micro'd Levelers can easily destroy a bundle of 50 Ants. Levelers fire a shot about every second, so that's 5 Ants a second; 10 seconds to take out 50 ants. And those Levelers don't even have to take damage. It requires an ***-ton of micro, but it can be done. I'd rather just have my Levelers back the hell up when they're attacked.
  14. Devak

Devak Post Master General

My problem with Starcraft is that it has unintuitive gameplay. It's pretty much pure memory on how well stuff works.

What annoys me in RTS games is mosty, well, yea unintuitive gameplay. I didn't like the upgrades in Supcom 2 because it's hard to spot them when you're in strategic zoom.

Generally though, it's bad feedback. I like Kerbal Space Program a LOT but it's so hard to tell how well my rocket will do when building it. I continually have to guess how much fuel i need and how many engines i need to take etc.
  15. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

That's your own fault, really. There are calculations you can do so you know, also there are tools you can get that will d those calculations for you. KSP is meant to cause the player to experiment. Not to make the starship enterprise on their first try.
  16. Devak

I refuse to use mods or paper for that.

Secondly, im not talking about one of those mods that gives a massive list of properties. Really, all that matters for rocket performance is something called Delta-V. Knowing the total mass (im not gonna count every piece i put on the thing), total thrust and delta V is enough for me.

However, not knowing ANYTHING about the rocket i just built, not even the per-module properties summed up nicely (e.g. total mass) is just plain suck. Also, in career mode they could just make you unlock those calculations.

If i need to use mods to make a game good, then the game just sucks.
  17. jacoby6000

jacoby6000 Member

I was referring to the mass and delta V equations :p so really the only improvements I can see there without them breaking the game and making it easy, is by giving the mass at each stage and the thrust at each stage. Otherwise it's fine.
  18. comham

comham Active Member

KSP is pretty easy to trial-and-error. That's the fun, that's the process of playing it. Build rocket, try mission, if you fail then redesign the rocket. If they gave too much information it would be trivially easy; it's not like flying the rocket is difficult and it's not like any of the planets look very good to explore, and there's nothing to do when you get there either.
  19. Devak

I know how to do them. Doing calculations on either paper or some math program is what i do half the time on other things. When i play games, well i dont want to do that. I want to play a game.

The thing is, the game provides a ton of fairly useless information per module. But somehow it expects me to put every module i put in, in an excel sheet with the associated properties and figure out how it works?

Knowing Delta-V is not knowing the exact rocket performance and behaviour. It's a CPI: Critical Performance Indicator. Like in your car, it has dozens of lights and several dials, but the only real CPI of the car is the speed. On the average car, if you know the speed you know the gear you need to be in. gear + speed gives an indication of revs. etc.

For a rocket, Delta-V is the CPI. It's fairly crucial to know. And for all rocket nooblets, they can figure out via play what it is and what it means. it doesn't hurt to put some education in the game?
  20. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

people who are better than me