These names are not appropriate...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by chrisjshull, October 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredegar1

fredegar1 Member

Reich means realm.
    Therefore realm means reich.
    PA is a game set in space.
    The Realm plays PA.
    Therefore The Realm are space nazis.
    stuart98 and totalannihilation like this.
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

"Nazi jokes are hilarious" haha whatever, I laughed. But I internet far too much. Just one of those sentences you don't expect to hear.

Anyhows, it's not a sin to say nazi, it is just a political party from some country in the past. So that's cool, the problem I would have if somebody believed their actions were amusing. These guys just playing the game. Let them at it.
    squishypon3 and fredegar1 like this.
  3. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Mmm i thought it looked like a stick figure falling on hes face.:p
  4. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Honestly, its kind of a slap in the face. They aren't actually doing anything wrong (that we know of; terms of service could disagree), but that doesn't mean that they should be doing it. If Uber believes that they are just inside the boundaries of acceptable, let them be. Its not our call, nor should we really debate it too much.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Yeah, in my experience these sorts of discussions don't end up going anywhere productive. Uber are aware of the users now (or will be when they get to the office), and will act as they deem appropriate.

Meantime, here, have some interesting reading ;) http://www.uberent.com/terms-service/
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Well, this settles it. I definitely need to get a sideways cross tattoo with a buddhist swastika in the center of it.

Because the meaning is the exact opposite of what people expect. Both are earthly symbols.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

nazi is another term for nationalist or extreme right wing ... not like america, russia or other countries don´t have their own nazis sometimes even having the german nazis idealism as example

another thing is that it´s actualy far older then even buddism
    there was a Video which i can´t find were swasticas were shown that are more than over 3 thausand years old ....
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I wrote a ;) there. Sure games are art. That discussion especially always pops up when the next Wolfenstein is released and people get annoyed at not being able to directly buy it.
    I think for the last one steam even prevented german users from activating a non-germanized version.
  9. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Huh......I have always been in the group where people are free to be what they want so long as they don't mess with others.
    Last edited: October 21, 2014
    fredegar1 likes this.
  10. dusanak

dusanak Member

I am from the Czech Republic and the Swastika is banned here IF the person uses it in the nazi context for example for promoting or spreading nacism. But if those guys aren't nazis, aren't spreading nazi ideology or such things, if they are just making fun of it, I'd say that it's alright. Heck PA takes place a few tens/hundreds/10^n thousands years in the future :D
    icycalm likes this.
  11. chrisjshull

chrisjshull Member

I can't tell if these guys are joking or not (though it doesn't come off as joking to me), but it doesn't really matter. As long as a non-neglible set of people don't perceive it as joking then we have a problem.

When I started up PA and the only lobby available looked like it was full of neo-nazis, that immediately put a terrible taste in my mouth. (And it doesn't seem like I'm alone in this thinking.)
    It's in Uber's best interest to maximize its user base, by providing the best possible user experience.
    It's in our best interest - as people who like playing PA - to have more people play so that we don't have to wait as long for a game.
    So not having people turned off by possible neo-nazis is in everyone's (heck, even the neo-nazis') best interest.
  12. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

What about if I made a clan called Soviet Empire? Do you little hypocritical politically correct gamers who salivate at the idea of playing a war game where entire planets are being blown apart have any idea how many millions the Soviets executed?

Or how about Chinese Red Empire? Can I make a clan with that name?

Or how about United States of America? Do the names Hiroshima and Nagasaki mean anything to you?

Or how about British Empire?

Greek Empire?

Roman Empire?

Mongol Empire?

Hypocrites.
    Geers, kayonsmit101 and squishypon3 like this.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yep, I doubt anybody would actually mind if you called yourself the red army or something.
    icycalm likes this.
  14. icycalm

How about all you little nerds stop trying to play "social revenge warrior" and take a break from the internet and read some proper books now and then, huh?

http://insomnia.ac/essays/evil_and_misfortune/

15. squishypon3

@icycalm

No need to insult 'em though. I can understand why they feel how they do, I just think freedom of expression is pretty important. I also understand that you shouldn't forget the history or intent of it.

I just don't really mind it at all, then again none of my family was impacted by the Nazi rule, so I guess I'm biased? :p
  16. icycalm

Personally, I think there is a need to insult them a little bit. Here's another quote for them from a real book:

17. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

If you must insult people, please don't do so here. Technically against the rules.
  18. icycalm

19. squishypon3

Well considering it's against the forum's ruuules.. ^^;

Edit: Uber ninja'd by @cwarner7264
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

As much fun as it is to poke the Realm players occasionally, this is probably taking it a bit far... lets keep things civil and on less *controversial* topics eh?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.