These names are not appropriate...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by chrisjshull, October 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Is there a tilted one available in UTF? I wouldn't be surprised if there simply was none.
    Anyway the combination of the word "Reich" and that sign basically directly point towards nazi germany.
    The swastika alone may be used by other religions, but I don't think any of them are very common in german speeaking countries and definitely don't go on about a "Reich".
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I love the arguments about the meaning of the symbol when they've stuck the word REICH in the middle of two of them. Oh God, it's so ******* subtle, I wonder which meaning of the symbol they're rolling with...
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Actually at one point the European union (or at least germany) tried to ban the use of swastikas, and many hindu people weren't too happy about it! ;)

But.. I think we can all tell what the intention was, either that or they are /really/ ignorant! XD
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

this but then again, it's of bad taste at best. I'm not going to get my panties up in a bunch.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  5. squishypon3

To be fair reich isn't an evil word either... ;)

Anywaaaay- not sure what they want to do about it, Uber could request they change the name I suppose. :p

The combination is essentially saying "Peaceful Realm"
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Tried? It is banned in Germany.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Indeed, i.e. computer games that contain any of those are not sold here. Like once they took some censored version of wolfenstein out of the stores because the censor-people had forgotten to remove one single tiny swastika in some dark corner of some level.

Though the ban does not apply to i.e. history books and not to movies as well. Movies are art after all ;)
    I think you're also not gonna get in trouble if you put them everywhere in your private rooms, the ban afaik is only about public display. Though I am not 100% certain of that, I am neither a religious group that would use it nor associated with any sort of nazi-ideas, so I have no use or interest into that sign.
    Last edited: October 21, 2014
  8. squishypon3

Yes, I know- Germany and Austria were trying to ban the Swastika in all of the European union, many hindus were against this, and eventually Britain (And probably other countries) deemed it as limiting freedom of expression- especially since it wasn't just "The nazi's symbol"
  9. squishypon3

I meant the European union altogether, sorry for the mix up. c:
  10. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Cultural guilt will do that to language, yes.
    icycalm likes this.
  11. lizard771

lizard771 Well-Known Member

Not only the swastika.

I would go with empire. I mean, it's clearly not called "German Realm".
  12. ohhhshiny

ohhhshiny Active Member

We should definitly burn somebody insane enough to put "swag" in his name
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

B-but games are art.

Stupid society being run by old people who don't want to admit the world has moved passed them.

/rant.
    lokiCML, optimi, TheLambaster and 2 others like this.
  14. squishypon3

Actually it was the third kingdom, or third realm. (Depending, Reich can mean either)

Because there were two German kingdoms before, basically Hitler was the führer, which translates to "leader", or king if you want to be a little incorrect. :p The nazi party was basically trying to get Germany to vote in a king to rule for life, rather than a different leader that would probably only stand in temporarily.
  15. lizard771

Well, I'm German, I think I should know. Still a kingdom (monarchy) is something different compared to an empire (in this case dictatorship).
  16. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Actually, there have been two empires - The Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation, the second one's name I can not for the life of me recall right now, and lots of kingdoms. Heck, even Bavaria has been a kingdom after that French guy willed it so, with it being little more than a glorified cow paddock at that point.

Plus, I would still argue for 'realm' being etymoligically closer to 'Reich' then 'kingdom' and 'empire' - both of which have a narrower meaning. Even though they might be used more frequently in this context today.

Addendum: Empire is normally referring to the German 'Kaiserreich', or the Roman post-republic empire, both of which are monarchies (crazy adoption shenanigans in ye olde Rome notwithstanding) - thus no different from a kingdom in this respect.
  17. jvickers

jvickers Member

If they are not swastikas, can you tell us what they are please?

For evidence that they are in fact swastikas, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
  18. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

Get of your high horse, nazi jokes are hilarious and political correctnes is overrated.
    icycalm likes this.
  19. lizard771

'39 - '45 was probably hilarious, too, hm?
  20. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

I don´t mind it, that being said it is provocative for the sake of being provocative....not my cup of tea.

Imagine you would name yourself ISISdoesnothingwrong (obviously the godess ^^)
    Pretty much the same lvl of humor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.