There's a Turtle in the Water!

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by eroticburrito, April 24, 2014.

1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

This just means that you wouldn't use Artillery on a planet without islands. That's not a bad thing. It'll encourage different styles of play. Fixed, floating Artillery shouldn't realistically be used to destroy ships anyway - that's what a Battleship is after all...
    If every unit is available everywhere then the terrain means nothing. You can't build Torpedoes on land - why would you be able to build an enormous floating artillery cannon?
    ace63 likes this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Because it's a battleship, you just said that......

And realistically, artillery is one of the best ways to fight enemy ships from a static position.
  3. eroticburrito

Right so if a Battleship is a floating, moving Artillery, why do we have Holkins sitting in dingy-life preservers?
    The sea isn't a static position. We should at least have to build a platform or something to put the Artillery on.
  4. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

So Holkins get a platform like mexes do. A small artistic change irrelevant to balance. What does that solve, really?
  5. eroticburrito

Nothing.
    Heck, I just... I just want Underwater James Bond bases, OK?!
  6. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

was there no moon to smash into them then? hence the words planetary annihilation?
  7. eroticburrito

It was a single planet game. The combat should be able to work without planet smashing...
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Pretty much.

Anyway, I don't get it, can you not spam air using the entire planet better than them? If you want another way to win, nukes first (while they built defences). If you want another way to win, SXX, they couldn't have had umbrellas everywhere and an orbital army on top of every other expensive establishment.

In my opinion, in the PTE, its harder/longer to outright establish the entire stretch of t2 defences. Matter of fact, I find it hard to believe there was enough metal in a minimum slider game. How long does it take to get the metal to build that without stalling or wasting? I had a game on the Gamma System with sliders both at 28 and I starved to death from metal because only 4 spawn metal and was denied 1 metal direction by very first enemy unit being a single ant at the very last second my turret was going to go up, the other direction had like 3 metal points only in the distance. So how does one turtle with even less metal?

Anyway, your proposition is to nerf catapults and flak and stuff because he camped a sea. Okay. With that economy he couldn't build t2 missile ship spam? Those can anti air with narwhal support, AND deny land perimeter. Outside of that, what else do you need nerfed? Everything in the game except the totally UP sheller? God have mercy on the sheller, it totally needs all the help it can get :rolleyes:
  9. raptus86

raptus86 New Member

We need a shadow generator^^ for build an outpost without the opponent notice... like in real Radar jamming, the possibility to deactivate nukes from the beginning, amphibious tanks or something like that and I would like to see if the Nukes make some collateral damage with a nuclear cloud or some radioactive particles. So that the massively usage of nukes could, if u have bad luck, affect the own base and units. As more Nukes are launched as more radioactive clouds move across the planet. later if u can start nukes from other planets u can use it as an tactical maneuverer to weaken the enemy before u try to take over the enemy planet.

Add. And I would really like to see if we could upgrade the Commander... The com is so useless in later games... the biggest weak point of the army.
  10. eroticburrito

They had Flak. We engaged them in the Air but couldn't push into their base.
    Granted we didn't try sniping with Orbital, but they were trying that themselves and we were too busy trying to defend our resources from Catapults. Eventually they got a beach and broke out, and our armies were useless against lines of T2 Towers.
    There was enough metal, I think this was on minimum settings but there was quite a lot of water (and where their catapults covered), for them to slowly focus on nukes. I think that's because the Economy doesn't grind to a halt if you have massed Fabbers, even if you're demanding metal far more than you have it coming in.

I just think Flak generally needs a nerf, that goes for Land too. I think that's coming?

I don't think the Catapult should necessarily be denied on Sea. Mobile and Static Missile Defence would be better than outright denying Catapults. I think Catapults could shoot slower and should not be impossible to avoid (but still be fairly accurate) to avoid a bunch of Catapults doing such damage to armies and navies before they can be reached. E.g. a fast moving bot army should be able to avoid some of the missiles coming at it.

I'm not arguing for the Sheller to be be buffed at all. They work fine. Maybe a slower reload time and or lower damage due to their range and ability to flatten armies in numbers.

I haven't come on here to bitch and whine about losing. I just wanted to talk about the current balance of the game and how we had very few options besides Nuke Spam and Orbital Sniping available to us.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Meh, to humor you, you aren't asking for a lot I admit.

I am just saying. It seems to me like building catapults nerfed themselves, t2 missile ships would have actually been stronger than the flak and cata, and saved metal cost. Flak is OP, but missile shipes are OP with the premise that it's their saving grace to have a single thing no other units have just to make it viable, its not right but I think it is badass enough to call it well enough.

Catas should be t1 nukes lol. I say that alot. But, hear me out, that WOULD mean they wouldn't track targets as nukes do not. However, they should be a bit faster travel time so they do hit things fired on within 50-60% of their range before they can move, especially vanguard. Or maybe catas should track targets, but at least their fire rate wouldn't thin armies anymore (being rendered to a 1/5 fire rate, assistable to it's current fire rate but costing actual metal and power to run overclocked like that).

Artillery needs adjusted. I don't like the way they work but it has nothing to do with balance. They literally don't hit structures. Gets better with less planet curvature, but never is entirely solved.

Flak is a bit OP, needs a nerf, as do stingers. Their balance is a by-product of making the game playable in an age where t2 air was OP. Now that t2 air isn't very OP, antiair doesn't need to remain OP.

I just think that sea turtles are not OP, they are just good range. The actual ship units themselves aren't merely hittable with any old thing, although your own longrange artillery would help. Sounds like they spammed catas, holkins outrange them? Also, holkins outrange ships, they are the navy's natural mortal enemy.

Know what would be badass? If there was a hovercraft in the t2 naval and t2 vehicle, that attaches units on top like astraeus does bottom, and brings back the old feature of unit-can-shoot-from-it. Then you could use land army as sea army, but only as an "advanced development" tool, while naval is available out of the box at t1 and air works too.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  12. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

What about torpedo bombers? Flies out over the water, drops long range torpedoes. Make it a T2 plane with ammo.
    ace63 likes this.
  13. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

200 orbital fighters you say? help build fast orbital buiders then spam archors then when you have 50 attack clear orbital laser set and done
  14. eroticburrito

... but... that's just lame.
  15. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

hey it a way to win :p
  16. eroticburrito

Myeaaah. Remember this was a low-metal planet, so while fending off ground incursions and fighting Air, there was little metal left for a load of Orbital Fabricators, Anchors and SSX'. Not to mention my attention was stretched thin trying to hold a territory, while they could sit in the comfort of their missile-defended bunkers.
  17. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

hm....qustion when you build metal buildings do you build T1 then T2? caues some people just build T2 when they have it but the +7 on that one spot relly helps
  18. eroticburrito

Both :) I've got a thread going arguing that metal should be lower per spot so that we can have lots of metal spots and still have low metal planets. This would reward us for controlling more of the map, rather than holding clusters and racing to get Tier 2.