The unit cannon's going to be a factory?? no!!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, November 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Brian can I see your information source please.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

neutrino:"what you see is what you get"

so far we just saw the unitcannon in the KS video ... nothing else how it DOES work on earthtypes and other planettypes or how DOES work with various units ... until we ourselfs get our hands on it to test and play with anything else is just speculation ...
    Last edited: November 29, 2013
    DalekDan likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

4. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I didn't once hear the word factory when neutrino was talking about the unit cannon. He even specifically mentions loading units into it (just like the teleporter) at one point. Where do people get this stuff?
  5. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I think people are getting confused by the "unit queue" Mavor mentions when talking about the Unit Cannon. For the video it's 25:19 into it for him talking about the Cannon.
  6. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Actually it doesn't take all that much force to put something in orbit around the moon.

You can do it with a golf club and a ball if you hit it at the right angle.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Cool. Which is my point. We can't get objects out of orbit on Earth even with rockets. It has to be a really big rocket.

But on a moon or astroid, it's easy.

So it makes sense, both for realism sake and gameplay balance sake, that the unit cannon only works on moons/astroids.
  8. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

You can get things into orbit around earth with a cannon. It just has to be a really big cannon. The problem is that cannons put all the energy into the object very rapidly, whereas rockets accelerate it more gently over time. Delicate electronic circuits (and living tissue) can't survive the g-forces created by such a cannon. However, this game is in the future so one could argue this problem has been fixed. Regardless, it doesn't really matter what's possible, it matters what's good for game balance.
    drewsuser likes this.
  9. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Well if it makes sense in terms of game balance then that's fine. However, if it's for the sake of realism..didn't uber say they are not shooting for realism but for awesome!? So I'm hoping they go for awesome over realism.
  10. MrTBSC

context was sound in space ... please do not make the mistake in generalising that phrase on everything
  11. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Not realy, if you use the Unit Cannon in a Planet, you will use it like in SupCom2
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Potentially, using it like that on a planet does bring up interesting issues like how does the unit cannon co-exist with transports and dealing with its potential ability to bypass defenses.

In my opinion using Unit Cannons the same way as SupCom2 just doesn't feel practical in the context of PA.

Mike
  13. MrTBSC

"Potentially, using it like that on a planet does bring up interesting issues like how does the unit cannon co-exist with transports and dealing with its potential ability to bypass defenses."

this is called deep striking ... weither you do it on the same planet or from an asteroid wouldn´t realy make such a difference to me honestly and again depending on how the system is set up (assuming it realy is locked to shoot to other planetoids from atmosphereless planetoids) it may play out differently ...

bare in mind unitcannontransports are a oneway ticked which on orbital and air transports aswell as teleporters they aren´t
    i personaly don´t realy see much of an issue with it coexisting with tranports on the same atmospherplanet ...
    beer4blood likes this.
  14. KNight

Of course it differs, using a UC on a planet is much cheaper than using one from orbit and that is still cheaper than having had to bring a moon/asteroid into orbit in order to use the UC. Also consider and a planet based UC is static, where as in orbit you might only be able to send units to a given portion of a planet at any given time.

Mike
  15. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Seems like an extremely long game having to fly an asteroid or small moon closer just to use my UC. Makes more sense just to planet smash at that point.....
  16. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Yeah I agree. If you can use it on the planet your on then why spend so much resources to build it on a moon?
  17. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

Is this purely speculation based on the K-starter trailer?
  18. KNight

More or less, but aside from Dev comments the Kickstarter Pre-Visualization is the best thing to base speculation off of.

Not to mention that the mechanics of the Unit cannon working from anywhere to anywhere is kinda.....boring really.

Mike
  19. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

Orbital is boring. Honestly, I don't see how it is any different from satellites traveling around the solar system. The bots in the kickstarter have thrusters.

I am concerned about how linear the game is and am interested in ways Uber will open multiple avenues of wars to interact with orbital game mechanics.

Will limiting the mechanics make the game more interesting? Your enemy built a transport... now he is going to another orbit because that directly counters the unit cannon does not sound interesting. It sounds arbitrary.

I know Nuetrino talked about orbital range limitations. I would be very interested if orbital game play limitations that were beneficial to game play. I have some healthy skepticism is all.
    Last edited: November 29, 2013
  20. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

If we get Orbital as a Tier 1 tech tree of it's own, things would get super ridiculously interesting.
    Instead of just doing vehicle, bot, naval or air, we could jump straight to orbital or even transports to other planets? I would like to see how that would play out.
    Quitch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.