The Uber Unofficial Official Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Hildogen, March 30, 2010.

1. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

Re: The Unofficial Official Q&A Thread

I guess you are right, I have faith in the Uber guys and their game will be great. I'm just uber excited and wish this game was out already.

I have a new question though, How long is one match in crossfire?

When I play game I like the matches to go for a long while. When I play Bioshock 2 multiplayer the death match games only go for about 3 minutes because all you need is 20 kills and that was kinda annoying that the game ended so quick. I found myself playing CTF in it because the matches went for 20-ish minutes I think (Defend for 5 mins then attack, so there were 4 rounds in one match)
  2. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

1. Wouldn't YOU rather have about more than two game modes in the game itself? Or say, add more content in the near future?

And 2. ...what do you mean by "every game they have worked on"? Isn't Monday Night Combat the ONLY game? :?

Plus, what IS the reason that a "good bunch" of PC gamers are following the progress anyway?
  3. TheJustinIsALie

1. It would be nice but I see why there is only one or two.

2. As Uber entertainment this is their first game but they have worked on others.

And I'm not sure of the last question.
  4. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

No. Usually one game mode is more popular and the second one has fewer players but needs to be dragged along. However, although only a minority of players use it, it eats up the same amount of time, money and focus (if not more). That means Uber has to split the focus and that makes the development and improvement of content slower.

Uber is not Blizzard, they can't just take 20 developers from another project and throw them at CTF and TDM. Their resources (most importantly developing time) are finite and they should do exactly what they are doing now: focusing on what they can do and can do with great success.

I'd rather have one online game mode that is well polished and balanced than 3 that just work. Besides, Crossfire is something special, something you can't play in the 2000 competing shooters. It's the calling card of MNC in multiplayer and it deserves all the attention IMO.
    Yes, I'd love to see more content when the time is right and maybe even more game modes, no argument there!
    Just to give you an example: neutrino has worked on on Total Annihilation. This game was developed 13 years ago and still has an active online community. It was just re-released on Impulse and is a classic. I consider it the best real time strategy game that was ever released. A lot of us PC gamers are fans of TA and Supreme Commander, the spiritual successor of TA.
    A large part of Uber are former Gas Powered Games developers and we keep track of them because we know what great games they have brought us in the past.
  5. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Justin: Crossfire games are 15 minutes long with a 2 minute OT.

As for the more game types... it comes down to this, if we add more game types, we dilute the community, two online game types means you're splitting the number of people playing in half. If we do more than that, you split it into thirds, fourths, etc, etc. We have no idea how successful MNC will be and to split a small community up too many times means people will have a much harder time finding a game to play, and everyone wants to hit that 'find game' button and be in a game in seconds.
    We're also going to do game modes in the future that make sense for the design of MNC. I personally don't think TDM works for us, that does _not_ mean we're not going to do it, but our class system doesn't really work for TDM, imo. Heck, BFBC2 doesn't have TDM.

And as for 'all the other games'... just the directors have worked on: Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, Enter the Matrix, Elder Scrolls series, The Matrix: Path of Neo, Devastation, Command & Conquer series, The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth and Demigod.
  6. Hildogen

Hildogen New Member

I think alot of PC gamers are following this because it combine elements of two very popular PC games, being TF2 and the MOBA genre (Dota, League of Legends, Demigod, Heroes of Newerth)
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Our plan is to continue to expand and support the franchise into the future as much as we can.

There are restrictions about updates on XBLA but nothing that can't be dealt with. I don't care to speculate about why Valve isn't supporting the Xbox version.
  8. Hildogen

Hildogen New Member

I don't know if this is still the reason, but a couple years back it was because MS wanted to charge money for the class updates, and valve didnt want that.
  9. magnusrex

magnusrex New Member

I think of the game, and the funky setting of MNC...and I know because it's a shooter TDM and CTF come to mind...but with the setting I think of something like King of the Hill or VIP where teams fight over a single object like a big thing of cash or the mascot/super fan would work
  10. scathis

I was thinking something along the same lines magnusrex. How can we incorporate a single money ball, and fodder into a competative game mode?
  11. magnusrex

magnusrex New Member

I was thinking of something similar to the crossfire maps...or just reuse them

in the middle of the map a small money ball appears and the teams fight to take it back to their base where the money ball slot is...and it's like a weakened version of crossfire where the ball slowly releases money (points) and the other team tries to destroy it...if destroyed a bunch of money flies (or not) and a new one respawns in the middle...when one team fills up their bank of money or just scores enough points, they win...

how does that sound?
  12. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

Q: Do you each have Xbox 360's?

Q: If so, would you be willing to have a "game with the developers" night?

Q: Also, is it possible to have some sort of contest (scavenger hunt, smelliest feet, etc) for 1 free copy of the game? (A code for XBL or something)

Q: Do you prefer cake or pie?
  13. DDMagnaS

DDMagnaS New Member

I like the way Magnusrex is going, but here's an alternate idea that can incorporate assets you already have.

Symmetrical map with a moneyball in the center. Bots spawn from both team's spawn point at regular intervals. It's a race to see which team's bots can down the moneyball first. Since it's one moneyball and there are two teams vying for it, you can have two different shields, that way you won't have a situation where the Hotshots bring the moneyball shields down 90% and the Icemen do the last 10% and get the chance to destroy it even though they didn't do much of the work. Once the shields go down, the Moneyball is vulnerable; The team that brought it down wants to destroy it, the opposing team has to frantically defend it or they lose the round. Since a game like this would probably go very quickly, you can do best 2 out of 3 rounds.

There wouldn't really be room for turrets in a game like this since there are no bases to defend, just one central base to attack like crazy. Then again, spawn camping could be a serious issue in a setup like this. I dunno, this is why Uber develops games and not me.
  14. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

Why not put a few key area's for turrets that are only available to teams with "X" amount of points/cash.

Edit* Also, how about a "hot potato" game? One player is the "bomb" (YOU DA BOMB!) and you pass the bomb to another player by either tagging or killing an opponent. That player becomes the BOMB! and once the timer reaches -0-, kaboom! that player is out for this round.

Players with the bomb move faster & deal more damage.

This game really is LIMITLESS with potential gametypes. Yay!
  15. scathis

Oh yes. I have a 360, 3 PCs, a Wii, PS2, GameCube, DS and an iPhone and a 360 dev system on my desk at work.

Totally. We love playing fans. At PAX East we played the winners of the tournament and had a blast with it.

Possibly, that kind of stuff we're still working out. Need to work with MS on that type thing.

Cake. Totally. No Question.
  16. Hildogen

Hildogen New Member

Seems like MS is a pretty big roadblock in all of this. =/
  17. TheJustinIsALie

Thanks for the info, 15 mins seems like a good amount of time.

Yeah I guess TDM isn't really MNC's style, maybe King of the hill or something but Crossfire is good for now.
  18. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Does anybody remember Bombing Run from UT 2004? I think that might work for MNC too.
  19. nyx

nyx Moderator Alumni

Pie.. all the way
  20. MrMusikal

MrMusikal New Member

I loved bombing run
    That would work but they are almost finished so the devs are pretty locked on all idea's