The Uber Unofficial Official Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Hildogen, March 30, 2010.

1. Shepster

Shepster New Member

Re: The Unofficial Official Q&A Thread

It was actually a 6v6 setup in the version they had at PAX, potentially allowing for a team of one of each class.
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Crossfire is 6v6

Co-op is 4 people.

The main reason Crossfire isn't more players is simply performance and network bandwidth limitations. Mainly from all of the bots running around.
  3. eetmorsqrls

eetmorsqrls New Member

*cough* MAG *cough*
  4. magnusrex

magnusrex New Member

I love DotA so I miss having 3 lanes...lol
  5. Hildogen

Hildogen New Member

What influenced your decision to choose XBLA as the main platform?
  6. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Speaking of network limitations, you guys are using a typical server/client networking model in MNC instead of the p2p variety we have in SupCom and Demigod, right?
  7. neutrino

The amount of money we could get our hands on to make the game was the initial reason. We would need a lot bigger team to compete at full retail and it's difficult to do something huge when building a company at the same time.
  8. neutrino

Correct, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue.
  9. neutrino

MAG uses dedicated servers so it's a different kind of game (more like an MMO in infrastructure).
  10. eetmorsqrls

eetmorsqrls New Member

i was more talking about the massive lag a lot of people experienced with it >.>
    and thank god you're doing servers, for whatever reason p2p seems to be impossible to do right :X
  11. Col_Jessep

Thanks for the info neutrino!
    Yup, it's usually the fault of one player with a slow connection or bad PC but in p2p he can mess up the game for everyone. Spooky and I played a lot on the 5v5 maps in Demigod and we rehosted at least 80% of the games because one player was lagging from the very first second. It became frustrating as hell to explain it to them again and again why they shouldn't join 5v5s with their dial-up connection... :roll:
  12. magnusrex

magnusrex New Member

you are not alone in the fact that we hate people with crap internet...
    a reason why I like dedicated servers...however I don't think it works well with something like 4 player co-op...
  13. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

What happens in the end?
  14. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

Thats pretty good, Will there be a gamemode without bots just humans vs humans?
  15. Hildogen

Hildogen New Member

I really like the idea of a game type with just human players, but I can see that being very hard to keep balanced. Although, without bots, could that mean more than 6v6? maybe 12v12? That would be awesome.
  16. neutrino

No game with humans vs humans. There are plenty of reasons but the main one is that we don't want to split the playlists up too much at the beginning. This isn't a rashly made decision, we've debated this quite a bit internally.

Oh, and yes having no bots would probably allow more players in the game. Of course we'd need different maps because the current ones would be too small.
  17. TheJustinIsALie

I can see where its coming from. Most games have a game mode that is never being played so having only one game mode will avoid this, But MNC looks like a really good game that people would like to play competitively so a death match or capture the flag would have been nice.

I really like crossfire, You very rarely see a game with a defend your base game mode. Maybe you should just have three game modes crossfire, death match and capture the flag.

All games need a death match its kinda the tutorial to the game without any responsibilitys of defending your base or capture point or anything
  18. neutrino

I'm sympathetic to your point of view but we really don't have the resources to create three games for the price of one on XBLA. We've certainly talked about it but it's just not realistic to get all of these up to our quality bar. Adding more game modes in the future seems like a good compromise to me.
  19. TheJustinIsALie

So if the game comes out to be very popular you will think about adding more stuff? Sounds like a good idea to me, But make sure the game is capable of being altered like that when its released.

Valve didn't update TF2 for the xbox because it was too hard for them to do what they did to the PC version.

But with XBLA games you could change the game completely and re-release it with a patch that tells everyone to download the new version, Ive seen that done on XBLA before but im not sure how strict microsoft is about letting you guys do that.
  20. Col_Jessep

Justin, I can see why you would like CTF and TDM. However, let me assure you from my experience with Demigod that most players would probably hardly ever play those two game modes. There were 4 game modes in Demigod, including similar modes similar to CTF and TDM. They turned out to be not as interesting. I forgot what the 4th mode was about... :D

In Crossfire you always have the choice to attack the opposing players, their bots or defend you own toasters and push (from what I have seen in the vids). I think it will add more strategic depth and fun than just taking down as many enemies as possible.

And you can trust the Uber guys, every game they have worked on turned out to be awesome! There is a reason a good bunch of PC gamers is following the progress of MNC although it has not officially been announced for the PC. ;)