The T2 Bomber - Balance Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Grazgul, January 21, 2014.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I find that the current T1 bombers are actually really good against ground units rather then buildings.
  2. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I always thought T1 bombers should be the carpet bombers, dropping lots of not-that-bad explosives. Useful against swarms (especially Dox swarms) but not something that's going to win you the game and combat fabricators within the army could counter a lot of the damage.

T2 bombers would drop single bombs that do high damage with little or no AE. They blow up structures. Technically they can blow up units but only 1 at a time.

As it is, T1 bombers drop single AE bombs for pitiful damage which is of no use to anyone ever and T2 bombers drop strings of really high damage AE bombs that kill absolutely everything even to the extent that having combat fabricators is pointless because nothing survives one pass.

This would also make gunships more sensible. They would have the DPS to battle T2 armies and wouldn't have to fly over the swarm to attack. T1 bombers may still outdamage them in a single pass but only by spreading the damage out and taking more risk.
  3. arausio

arausio Member

This idea would do nothing to stop the rampant Com Sniping which T2 bombers currently do, if anything, it would make it worse.
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Sniping archetypes super effective against singular game ending targets. News at eleven.
    igncom1 likes this.
  5. arausio

arausio Member

Yes, because a game revolving around a single unit when it is supposed to be about large scale fights (example: THE TITLE OF THE GAME) is a great idea.
  6. igncom1

The commanders a victory condition, not the entire thing.
  7. arausio

arausio Member

You misunderstand. I'm referring to T2 bombers being the be all and end all of units right now. I mentioned that making them even better at the role they currently fill is ridiculous and does nothing to solve both the current and future problems that will arise from it. All I got was a snarky comment about archtypes that everyone knows about.
  8. igncom1

Well yeah, you both said the same thing.
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

So... Have any solutions that will WORK?

When a unit has an innate excellence at a particular role, it's best to just roll with it. Those traits are what make the game feel natural and intuitive to play. So find some other way of countering the bomber's advantage.

I'd post the ideas I already had on the matter, but honestly I'd just rather see if someone can come up with a solution more thought out than "nerf bombers" or "buff anti bombers". I already posted about half a dozen in the past, some of them requiring much greater changes in seemingly unrelated areas. Maybe you can add one more.
  10. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

Most of you guys will hate me for saying this, and no I did not read all the post here. I think t2 bombers are fine the way they are. In all my games (yes even when I was sniped by them) and all the live streams I have watched it was my own fault/the players fault for not countering the other players t2 bomber rush effectively. when I did counter them all that was needed was a swarm of fighters and or a base full of flak (yes even when the attacking bombers were 30+). It seems to me that most players do not know how to effectively counter fast attacking units like these and if they do build the countering units or defensive structures they don't use them in a tactical manner and get punished for it.

If I was going to change anything about them the only thing I would change would be making them so they do not stack up on each other.
  11. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Honestly, I think just nerfing the crap out of their turn rates would help a lot.
  12. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Right now t2 bombers are: too fast, too cheap and too much hp. Its easier to make fast t2 fac and one of them than good defence on t1 level.
  13. igncom1

Just spit balling here, but what would you guys thank about the idea of having the T1 bomber drop it's current bombs like the T2 bomber does, in a carpet?

Would that make the T1 bomber competitive? As it's bombs are actually rather good against land units and the like, and that make make them a good meaty choice for early game bombing.

As for the T2 bomber....how could we make it especially different from the T1? Could we arm them with a different weapon other then bombs?
  14. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I have an idea. T1 bombers - carpet bombing. T2 bombers - Missile carpet bombing, SAME damage. Why? missiles will hit every unit on ground with accuracy, never miss.
  15. igncom1

So more of a gunship? But like plane instead of a helicopter?

I like the idea, but would using them on a single target not make all of the missiles go for that target? Or would they just hit the ground if there are no additional targets?
  16. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

If you did, the T1 bomber would probably become as metal efficient as the T2 bomber, for damage against single targets, simply because it's highly likely you could hit just about anything with three times as many bombs.

'Competitive' doesn't even begin to describe what that, plus area saturation, would do for the T1 bomber.
    Build fighters or bust.
  17. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I think they should hit that target. Missiles never miss, so they search for target in small AOE. So T2 is good at one target AND multiple targets, but have same damage as T1.
  18. igncom1

Well then the problem is stacking up, and the whole sniping issue.
  19. igncom1

Well even currently you can use them against a single target, so I don't see the problem.

And this doesn't even cover what I think about the anti-air stuff, but overall the T1 bomber is hella balanced against fighters and AA.
  20. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Im just giving some ideas, I think T2 should be more focused on something than just more powerful per se.
    igncom1 likes this.