The sorian PA AI thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, December 23, 2014.

1. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

Wow. I just watched a replay of a guy playing against the AI, and he was basically turtling. All of a sudden the AI brings in a huge bomber force with a scout and snipes the dude! I was laughing out loud!
    mjshorty, stuart98, Remy561 and 2 others like this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

For anyone complaining about the AI in PA... they should watch this replay :) The AI is far cleverer than pretty much any other I've faced. If you leave an obvious opening for attack (e.g. insufficient AA) it will exploit it (no anti nukes is another one). You also can't just expand with fabbers without defences, and it knows enough to micro it's units if you counter :)
    cptconundrum, Remy561 and lafncow like this.
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

So what's the lobby ID then? :)
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Sorian, what makes "buffer":15 so magical for the opening factory? Set it any lower and you will see a noticeable pause before the AI begins building, but put it back to 15 and the AI starts as soon as it spawns. The Commander doesn't appear to exhibit this behaviour for factories after the first one

So, I guess my question is: what's up with that?
  5. arm2thecore

Crap, sorry - I didn't think to jot it down.
  6. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

No idea, I have never bothered changing it. When I get time, I will look into it.
  7. jamiem

jamiem Active Member

Yah I just found out the hard way about the AI's nukes...
    Remy561 likes this.
  8. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

thats simple, i found out the hard-way that an AI will smash a planet into you
    theseeker2 and cdrkf like this.
  9. arm2thecore

I know there is a lot of programming frustration involved (creating game AI is not an easy thing to do), but when the AI proves its worth it has to put Sorian on cloud 9.
    stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  10. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I have watched the AI play each other, it still makes stupid mistakes, like how one of them had the other cornered against a lake, but the former AI wouldn't send his vanguards to kill the other's commander (who wasn't in the lake, rather right on the edge of it), they just kind of went back and forth until they all got killed by battleships. This repeated for a good 15 minutes until the AI cornered against the lake launched nukes from a second planet and ended the game (the first AI could have just nuked the battleships and went in - but it was waiting for 3 other nukes to finish). So, the AI plays well, but it still has its quirks.
  11. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Depending on where the commander was that may be a nav issue. Last I knew, if you issue an attack against something that is sitting on terrain you cannot move on (like a tank trying to attack a ship close to shore) the move will fail. However, the AI (correctly) assumes the units can get within range to fire from the shore and will attempt to do so.
    squishypon3, stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  12. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

The problem was that the AI kept hesitating after the vanguards took a hit and pulled them back, and then repeated. You may have already fixed that, not certain.

The 'feeder planet' thing is a nice fix too, I got kind of mystified watching the AI sit and do nothing but build a teleporter and a factory on its other planets previously.
  13. Quitch

One issue I've noticed is the AI getting its units killed when resources are around. It will target pens and mex over anything else, including enemy combat units. This leads to it struggling more than is necessary when assaulting bases because it doesn't eliminate threats from the area which it could easily crush (like the one Dox that just rolled off the factory) because it's focusing everything on killing those two pgens it just saw.

This is especially noticeable with ships. Due to their range you'll see them crash into the shore to attack resource ignoring the land army which can now (and is) shoot at them.

I recall this change came about because the AI would often fail to finish off mex when units rolled into the area, but what the AI needs to do is differentiate between the times its tiny raiding party is dead and should finish killing resources before it dies, and when it's launching an assault and it should be using its overwhelming force to kill threats before resources.
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

That should be easy to adjust.
  15. natusm

natusm New Member

I'm the n00biest of n00bs in this game, but I've noticed some bugs or other particulars that may have already been mentioned.

1) By far the most annoying, on Relentless 1v1, the AI will make a few extractors and that's about it. This usually happens when the AI Commander is in water.

2) I've noticed that Commanders avoid actual impassable ravines (or fractures), but attempt to cross water-filled ones, with hilariously incompetent results.

3) I'm having issues with Naval construction units building Vehicle or Bot factories on land. Sometimes they are able to. And sometimes, for no discernible reason, they simply can't. This leads to a lot of player time spent trying to build land factories through frustrating trial and error.

4) Why would ANY player want to block a metal node? Why should they be able to be blocked? It's frustrating to build factories or defenses near a node, and find out afterwords the node can't be utilized. Why not make it so a player can never cancel himself from a node?

5) When playing repeated games again the AI, the service will sign me out, necessitating a re-start.

Thanks!
    cptconundrum and dom314 like this.
  16. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

AI PTE Report:
    The Good ~~
    AI builds tons more factories, and uses those units, the only units it keeps in its base are the aircraft to defend, and uses ground units aggressively....awesome and evil!
    PTE-AI-Goodstuff.png

The Bad ~~
    AI doesnt use naval well, some pretty bad naval fabricator use, doesnt build those torpedo-turrets, and rarely builds more then 1 naval factory. Oh ya, biggest thing, doesnt use the naval unless a close threat is nearby, and never deploys the navy aggressively (from what i have noticed...
    PTE-AI-Badstuff.png
    kaminfreunde, cdrkf and kayonsmit101 like this.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Can the AI learn to only build units that can path to the enemy?

Like it's fine building ground units on islands if they are planing on transports, but otherwise, they should probably learn to switch to air and sea when there is no land path.

That or proxy factorys on enemy islands.
  18. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

Wanted to post the same thing as mjshorty, on the two naval 1vs1 maps, the ai in the pte did not build any naval at all during a few test games. Especially on pacific the ai got totally stuck on the small starting island building tanks.
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  19. Quitch

There have been some changes to the AI's handling of rally points in the latest PTE which might improve this.
  20. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

A simple range increase on the construction boats will solve point 3 ;) Just mention it to @tvinita , I don't think it will hurt the balance ;)

On the other hand, the AI has always been bad at naval and should really be trained to do so now Naval becomes more awesome every update :)