The problem with Planetary Annihilation's current balance direction

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, February 4, 2015.

1. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

So because someone tried to develop a high quality RTS (rare these days btw) it's automatically a blizzard clone? How is it not as good? It has good story, the graphics are better, the units are about the same. Care to elaborate other then, it's terrible because I said so?
  2. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I beg to differ about "the graphics being better" and I don't see how developing a blizzard clone equates to "trying to develop a high quality rts"
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

what about it is not of high quality? and what exactly does it make a blizzardclone?
  4. theseeker2

same old small-scale blizzard/westwood style rts, nothing new, nothing extraordinary
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Graphics are quite a bit better than starcraft 2, anyway.. How is PA not a clone of any of the other TA-like games?

I'm saying this with a bias towards PA, as it's my favorite.
  6. theseeker2

PA has planets, you see. That is revolutionary, that is new.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say GG graphics are that much better than SC2, the effects are certainly on par or worse at most.
  7. MrTBSC

first off yes there actualy is ... which is the goo
    but still i can reuse the same recepies and formulars and still can make a high quality product ...
    high quality in this case is a matter of presantation and execution not neccesarily of ideas and mechanics ...
    i can put some super complex mechanics into a game and it still could look and sound like a monocrome atari title ... that doesn´t make it high quality either ... scale aswell does not equal high quality ...
  8. theseeker2

The goo is just another faction, no more revolutionary than any other RTS faction
  9. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

GG graphics and even art style are significantly better than SC2's. I don't know if you are being facetious or maybe it's time for a video card upgrade.

Even if you think GG is terrible. You have to admit there are things about the game that are good. I'm starting to wonder if you even bought it and or played it.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  10. MrTBSC

ok which other rts game had what is basicly a self replicating completely mobile not reliant on static buildings maschine before this game? because i don't know any ..

even then that is besides the point .. having "revolutionary" ideas does not make a high quality game ...
    websterx01 likes this.
  11. theseeker2

Eh, all of them have self-replicating machines - the "no static buildings" bit is new but more of an annoyance than a revolutionary feature. Revolutionary features are one of the main things that make a game great. I can't say that PA would be nearly as fun if it didn't have planets.
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I think the extra planets and orbital ruin pa and showcase how lacking it's UI and thought process is in these areas. There still remains huge potentiL. The one system game on the other hand is really well done.
  13. theseeker2

I think the UI is lacking too, but I still believe that multiple-planet gameplay is really fun.
  14. MrTBSC

it's not the planets and orbital that mess with it is the lacking ui ...
  15. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

U wot? Lol clopse you still soar about losing that orbital game to team burning?

The ui is pretty good in pa imo... You can navigate between planets easily enough, the only issue I find is managing both orbital and land together in the same area- I'd argue a selection filter to switch between the two would be enough to solve this problem....
    Geers likes this.
  16. cdrkf

I really don't get the whole 'omg ui sux' argument.... Pa ui is pretty capable and highly modable. In terms of capabilities visavis older games its better than the vanilla implementations of sup com and ta (never played supcom 2) Imo. Aside from a couple of nice to have features what's missing?
  17. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Give him a hug:

[​IMG]
    xorxa, squishypon3 and cdrkf like this.
  18. theseeker2

The orbital UI is incomplete and cluttered (because all the ground units are still selectable when you're in the orbital layer), but that's my only complaint.
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. cdrkf

'Group hug!'....

'nooooooo, toooooo much love....'
  20. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member