The problem with Planetary Annihilation's current balance direction

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, February 4, 2015.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

There's nothing I enjoy more than shared armies, random players, and the sweet tears of rage as people battle over who touched whose commander.
  2. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Yeah super fun when someone sends your comm back to a planet in its way to collide. Well not funny for me, but a few sure laughed
  3. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Team games with voice chat are where this game really and truly shines. Team games without voice chat are where tears and laughter are made. 1v1 for me is very meh, I don't play it and I don't really like to watch it in most cases.
    pieman2906 and radongog like this.
  4. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Why are you playing share Army with randoms at all?! That´s not how it´s supposed to work!
    I do write it all day, but it fits really good in here: We need team-ranked games in PA. It would be so good to have them!
    -Would encourage more "casual teams" to be build up
    -Would easy matchmaking
    -Would help us find equally skilled opponents
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

6. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

7. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Grey Goo isn't terrible, it actually has many virtues. It's very polished, doesn't crash all the time like PA does. It has absolutely gorgeous visuals and alien worlds that far exceed PAs visuals. The units for the most part are ineresting. And it has a much more interesting narrative that is told through its single player campaign. I'd argue that it's a good game, not great. Maybe even just "ok" but not terrible.

That being said, it's not a great game either. It plays a little boring and repetitive with time and the gameplay is a bit too simplistic for me.

To say it's terrible with out anything to back your claim up is a bit of a strech. Care to elaborate as to why it's terrible?
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

How can you say that with a straight face? Grey Goo is MUCH more micro oriented, especially the grey goo faction! Units have much more health, and are much more controlled. A large army is something like 30+, right?

PA is based so much on base building, economy/expansion, and large armies!
  9. theseeker2

It's a classic example of a poorly executed Blizzard/Westwood style RTS.
  10. blightedmythos

Because....?
  11. theseeker2

That's perhaps one of the reasons why I don't like it, small armies don't suit me. I liked the original Starcraft, and to a lesser extent Starcraft 2, but they still don't hold a candle to the likes of TA, PA, and supcom
  12. theseeker2

Because it's poorly executed, play it for yourself if you really need an explanation. Starcraft 2 is the industry standard in the micro-oriented RTS subgenre, EA wrecked C&C and no other game was in the position to compete, there's nothing GG can do that Starcraft hasn't been doing for years.
  13. tatsujb

have you played Grey Goo?
  14. blightedmythos

Ok trying to understand your reasoning. Basically its terrible because it's not as good as starcraft. It's poorly executed... Not really sure how or what you mean by that.

I can understand it not being your type of game because you like large scale armies, but you still haven't given any solid reasons or facts to elaborate on why it's terrible other then blizard didn't make it.

I listed a lot of aspects about the game that are good. I'm honestly curious what your list of bad is. You can atleast concede that certain aspects of the game are really well done like story and visualz.
    DalekDan and squishypon3 like this.
  15. squishypon3

I think terrible was way over the top, Grey Goo is a very solid game, it might not have the best unit variety(mainly just the typical unit roles, and unit design is a little bland) but other than the that it has some nice macro tools.

Personally I prefer PA over it, but thats probably because I just absolutely love the community, the mods, etc... I've had great experiences with PA.

Yep, and it's quite a good game too. =)
  16. tatsujb

GG is much slower paced.

even if it's a SC-like it doesn't require you to be in as many places at once as PA does. PA clearly takes the cake micro-wise.
  17. squishypon3

How so? Because you can wiggle some dox a bit? Slow paced often means the game is micro intensive, as units are slower, projectiles are slower, etc...
  18. theseeker2

Because it's a starcraft/C&C clone and it's not as good as either series
  19. blightedmythos

I also can't agree that Blizard is the only devolopers capable of making a good rts. Starcraft 2 was nothing special and didn't even bother to try to innovate on starcraft 1. I was pretty disappointed in the grapics, the story was much less interesting to the original (is blizard even capable of having a strong narrative anymore). Units were pretty much copy and paste from the orginal. Atleast grey goo tried to do some things different.

I'd argue Relic Is the only one to push the RTS boundaries and innovative. Cover system, gun arcs, side rear and frontal armor thickness, gun penatration, paratroopers effected by wind, territory control forces full map utilization, commanders that offer different strategies, true sight, environment hazards like blizards, snow and mud, physics, vehicle physics like acceleration. Every unit is useful and has its purpose. Unit spam is actually not always effective or the best strategy. Relic IS probably the most innovative and fresh RTS devoloper recently.
    Last edited: February 4, 2015
    tatsujb likes this.
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

No love for AirLand Battle?
    sierra159 and optimi like this.