The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

2. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

Here in australia we prefer to ride kangaroos though it's getting hard to find parking spots for them these days.
  3. Devak

Devak Post Master General

It is. I can detect foreigners based upon how insane they are in bike traffic.
    mered4 likes this.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

For me at least, it's a time thing. The nearest store is 2 miles through hilly terrain. I can do it just fine (obviously lol) but I'm sweaty and can't carry much back because my bike doesn't have some weird basket on it. Thus, I need a car. My job is the same way: 4 miles through hilly terrain. I can always take the bus but that takes anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour.

Here in the US, if you do not have a car you are very limited in the scope of your reach.
  5. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

But do you drive a car or a monster truck? Cause saw a US style car here last time, and damn you guys must be overcompensating for something :)
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

4 miles to work sounds like a very reasonable distance for riding a bike?
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

not in Texas, man.

I'm a bike enthusiast but there are limits to what I'll do. riding a bike in france is overall much more doable than it was in Texas.
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Did I mention the hills? I wasn't joking. These aren't baby hills.
    and no pro. American style cars are a hilarious misnomer. We have mor degrees f freedom that. Europe due to having more space.
  9. tatsujb

do you also have grammar in America? I mean that can come in handy sometimes :p
  10. cola_colin

I dunno how bad a hill specifically is, but sure there are limits.
  11. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

These two comments are soo true in america and its probably the most annoying thing about this country. Personally, i believe there is a perception in this country that image trumps everything. There are various things in society that 99% of the world does that america refuses to do or try because they have a perception of being weird or slightly inconvenient.

Ford F-9000 (triple cab extended edition) vs sedan
    Harley baptized in chrome vs moped/ UJM
    Open floor kitchen to host a party for the entire neighborhood vs galley kitchen for everyday cooking
    walking on treadmill at a gym vs walking outside
    etc....

Now, the new disturbing trend is with food. For example, people would rather spend exorbitant amounts of money on services like Blue Apron. I guess a picture of your 30$ meal is more important than the actual food itself.

Im not here to criticize people's stance on how they should live their lives. If a person feels like driving a car 4 miles each way and has the luxury to do so... good for him. The issue is the unnecessary stigmatization towards others for doing something different. I have seen far too many instances where drivers refuse to inch over to the other side of the empty road for a bicyclist.

Trust me, that bicyclist isnt trying to takeover the road... he just wishes he had a shoulder to ride on.
    tatsujb likes this.
  12. cola_colin

Googling for texas mountains does yield a pretty landscape with mountains. So I guess there are mountains in texas.
  13. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I live in the suburbs and if you don't have a car then you're not going anywhere. RIP bikers getting run over by cars on roads.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  14. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the new /pol/
    tunsel11 likes this.
  15. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

So, what is up with violent protestors at presidential candidate venues? How is that NOT a form of treason? America has a long held tradition of practicing peaceful political transitions, it is written in the Constitution and Bill of Rights ffs.

I don't necessarily want someone to be executed over it, but if someone doesn't do something in response to violent protestors, each and every venue the candidate attends is going to have innocent people assaulted and their vehicles vandalized. Every. *******. Time. They do literally nothing to encourage violent protesters to not show up in the first place, not to bring their cinderblocks, their eggs, their mace and tasers, they have no fitting punishment to dissuade them.

The difference, between peaceful political campaigns, and using violence to install a political candidate, is the difference between literally any modern western nation, and Iran/China. Literally. Assault and vandalism at a rival presidential candidate's venue, irrelevant of whichever one it is, is the most treasonous thing you can do besides just going ahead and assassinating them. Sheesh.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

So, are you suggesting firing into violent crowds, would indeed be an effective way to make them stop showing up altogether? Because I am not questioning whether that would work, but whether it's... humane?

I honestly only have one opinion of what the police should do to curve violent protests and vandalism at candidate venues: More.

We incarcerate too many people everyday. Nonviolent drug charges contribute most of that. We need less of that, and more of these guys thrown in jail, for 5 months. A 5 month sentence, for everyone proven to commit assault and vandalize at a peaceful political venue, would drastically reduce the number of people willing to show up and catch that sort of incarceration time.

Just make the punishment, not worth the crime, because right now, getting arrested means you are out on bail and able to make it to the next state's campaign the very next week... fml.
  17. tatsujb

in other news, in america if you feel like making someone miserable you can buy their debt for as cheap as a penny on the dollar and harass them for it :
    walmartdialup and stuart98 like this.
  18. tatsujb

19. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

Hillary is now the Democratic nominee.

Interesting video about debt collecting. Ultimately, this is a reflection on the outrageous medical bills that many people are unfortunate to accumulate. Naturally, this video makes a strong case for universal healthcare.

It will be interesting to see what policies Hillary will take on from Sanders as time moves on. Healthcare will be a big policy issue in the coming months.
  20. xankar

xankar Post Master General

FTFY